1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding star trek keyboard?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by sofreshsoclean, 28 Jun 2004.

1. sofreshsoclean

sofreshsoclean What's a Dremel?

i was wondering if this type of thing would be possible....a keyboard that looks like a console from star trek. could a normal keyboard be torn apart to do this or am i thinking too far outside the box? i'm picturing something like a piece of plexi with the keys painted on with some type of translucent type of paint and a light under the plexi to light up the keys. again the problem comes with making it functional. hmmm.........

2. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

To get the look you would use a color backlight film, printed on an inkjet plotter (like an Epson). Your local graphics/sign shop can do this.

As far as the functionality? That is the tricky part... Even the Prox sensors from QTech wouldn't exactly do the trick since so many of them packed together would likely interfere with each other...

3. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Rip a membrane keyboard apart, slip a nice LCARS printout on top of it, enjoy.

4. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

what does LCARS stand for?

5. -=Nemes1S=-

-=Nemes1S=- What's a Dremel?

I ain`t really this sad but.............

Library Computer Access and Retrieval System

:rolleyes:

6. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

If you know somone in the sign buisness, you could ask (maybe pay) for a print out of a keyboard pattern, with any style, and stick it to a membrane.

7. nohope4me

nohope4me What's a Dremel?

LCARS controls aren't static though. The REAL challenge would be to make one that is not only a keyboard but is also totally adaptable! (Maybe something along the lines of a touchscreen LCD?)

8. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

i dont know where to get you a link from but there was a guy that techtv featured once because he redid his entire apartment to be like star trek. he had some fancy looking keyboards on it. i believe he was a UKer, but thats all i can give you

9. stoned penguin

stoned penguin What's a Dremel?

his entire apartment!??!?!?!?!? :jawdrop:

thats some hardcore trekkie :rolleyes:

10. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

yea i saw that to ,his wife left him and he modded everything!! :dremel: he had the special fx sounds and everything it looked like he had the color backlite film

Last edited: 29 Jun 2004
  11. JungleGorilla

JungleGorilla What's a Dremel?

I believe this is what you're referring to!

:eeek:

12. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Also, on the newer series, I'm pretty sure they used the backlight film on the actual set for static pieces.

That is too damn cool. Talk about nice work, I would love to see a build guide from that guy!

13. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

yes... i think.....

yes, this is possible..... i think.

i vaguely recall the last town i lived in two or three years ago had a pretty cool pc in the tourist information centre window. kinda like a pc monitor behind the window, and a flat coloured "sticker" on the window, with numbers. you pressed the number on the window, and the "sticker" picked it up. i always thought it was some sort of capacitance(sp?) keypad thing and every time i walked past it, i thought of star-trek.

i know the description is a bit vague, i'll have a look next time im passing, and do a bit of a google for it. its hard to describe, but if you can find one in a keyboard layout, it would be ideal, as long as you dont mind the keyboard layouts being static.

14. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

Hey - I just did a touch sensitive switch mod with a QT110 and it worked a trick!

Quantum research also have a product for this:

http://www.qprox.com/products/qmatrix.php

...and even show it used for a keyboard!

I would be more then willing to give you a hand if you where going to do this as I would probbly want one as well. I would say that you could mush it between two plates of plexi.

There is some feild shaping that you would need to do around each key but its definately possible :)

:naughty:

15. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

thinking about it - backlight keys would be fantasticif you cut the letters out of aluminum or something :eeek:

16. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

hmmm....I was just thinking about this - could a double sided black pcb be printed for this? That way you could have your electrodes in the keys (on the underside of the pcb) and use extra grounding traces to control the field.

also you could print on the underside of the first layer of plexi (say in black) the keyboard layout. If you lit the underside of this it would glow around the keys. Hmmm I wonder.

That would give a blue glowing keyboard with black masking. If I get some time (and there is interest) I'll mock something up in 3d.

17. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

18. BagUd

BagUd What's a Dremel?

I just made a test of a numpad, it culd be so nice to have a keyboard like this. if it can be done then i so want one!!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jun 2004
  19. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

If someone could make a keyboard like that would change when you need it to like a LCARS does, I would so buy one. But really, the only way to do so would be with a touch screen LCD, which would be expensive. Sounds kool in any case.

PEACE

20. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

ya it would need to be a lcd - but do you actually need your keyboard to change? isn't the keys always going to be the same?