1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Spare LEDs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by hjertis, 25 Jun 2004.

1. hjertis

hjertis What's a Dremel?

I have at least 3 spare blue LEDs and about 10 yellow and 15-20 green ones. And I have no ****ing clue what to do with them. Could use some suggestions. The chassi I have is a Aopen. Pic included a bit down.

Does anyone have some cool and not expensive stuff you could use some LEDs for?

[​IMG]
    the chassi

2. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

change the power leds

duh!

or you could also :search:

3. hjertis

hjertis What's a Dremel?

think i just might do that :) change the power and hdd LED to blue ones. :) that should be nice i think.

and i've already looked at a lot of cases here, but haven't found some cool stuff to do with a lot of LEDs..

4. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

VU meter, get a kit or the schematics and build yourself one.

would look cool in the front of the case

5. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Light the underside of that case and connect it to the hardrive through an optoisolator and transistor so each time the hardrive is accesssed, it would blink.

6. evilstriker

evilstriker What's a Dremel?

you can also change your mouse led(if you have optical) also you can change your keyboard leds. you can also trie a knight rider led cuircuit (one that goes up and them depending on cpu load time

7. hjertis

hjertis What's a Dremel?

you all have great ideas :D i will try to change the mouse LED to a blue one. That red one is a bit annoying.. :/ I have lighted the underside of the front. but i don't like the idea of making them flash. :/ That Knight Rider stuff and the VU stuff sounds cool. Will search for some schematics and build me one. (have acces to a lot of free stuff since one of my friends work at a electronic company that builds stearing systems for timbering machines :) )

And again. Thanks for all the cool inspiration! :D

8. robotguy9000

are there any disadvantages to changing your mouse led?

9. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

You might break your mouse

10. robotguy9000

it doesnt affect performance?

11. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

As long as the LED is bright enough, there shouldnt be any performance hit. A good guide is: it has to be above 1000mcd to work, generally, and it idoesnt seem to work with a colored lens.

12. robotguy9000

hmmm... ok thanks. still wouldnt want to do that on an expensive mouse, though...

13. lamcdonald

lamcdonald What's a Dremel?

I've modded half a dozen mice, and the biggest problem I found is the quality of the circuit boards :/ On many of them, the tracks lift when you're desoldering them for the first time!

I have used just about every LED colour there is :D And they all work, although some are better than others.

Best:
    Infra Red

Good:
    Red
    White
    Blue
    Green
    Pink

Not so good:
    Ultra Violet
    Yellow

14. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

I found when I changed my Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical from red to white, it was fine on a cloth pad, but when I switched to a RatPadz, performance really took a hit. I switched to 8cd (from I think 4cd) and it works perfectly now.

15. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

Infrared works the best? That's really neat, I'll try that some time.

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well naturally... I'm pretty sure that's what kinda light the sensor pics up. Kinda why a blue cathode makes UV stuff glow a little bit... the red is close enough to IR. and it won't keep you up at night with it blinking all over the place since IR is invisible to the human eye.

good to know about 1000mcd... I didn't wanna have to stack LEDs. Maybe I'll have some fun soon. A 12000MCD ultrarbright white LED may be in my mouses future! And the decorative one in the back would definately need to change.

Heh, change it to one of those rotating RGB ones :dremel: Don't forget a resistor though... I think I killed several LEDs that way not knowing I had a 3v LED and a 5v source with the mouse (or something to that extent)

17. hjertis

hjertis What's a Dremel?

isn't there already a resistor in the mouse? or do they have some special 5V LEDs? I think my blue LEDs is at 2.75V. I may wanna check that out and do some calculating to find a nice resistor to fit my needs. I sure hope here are some store around that sell loose resistors. It's kinda useless to order 1 resistor... :p

18. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

I put one of those white LEDs in my cordless. It works, and looks nice. The 12000 MCD led "prefers" a higher voltage than most leds on cordless mice. So it's only slightly brighter than the red one that came with it.

19. phil si

phil si What's a Dremel?

hmmm could rig something up with some new Blue/Red Leds... alternating style :D red on idle, blue on movement would be sweet, hard to implement though, knowing nothing about optical mices :D :idea:

20. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

Here is a nice VU meter circuit diagram. The only thing to note is that it's for mono (single channel) sound, so for it to work for stereo you need to make two of these and hook the left and right audio signal up to them seperately. check the main pc in my sig to see the end result.