1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Request for site critique

Discussion in 'Software' started by andymoo, 27 Jun 2004.

1. andymoo

andymoo What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

It's my first post here :)

Get your shades and click on over to http://www.wowringtones.com/

It's bright but that's not an issue as it's one for teens. There's nearly 5,000 polyphonic ringtones, catagorised and searchable.

Not validated HTML but there shouldn't be anything too nasty in there.

Please let me know how you find it in terms of navigability, clarity of info and ease of use. It should be quick to load.

The ringtone database is MySQL, every page is PHP coded by hand on Simple Text with the images being done in Adobe Photo Deluxe, both on a Mac.

It uses style sheets for the fonts and tables for the layout.

There are three payment methods for the customers for which ones we echo out are dependent on the country the customer is in, Pay Pal's via IPN, premium rate phone line / ivr and reverse billed sms message. All payment mechanisms plug into a back end stats package and content admin system. Delivery of customers orders is done via WAP.

I've not viewed it on Windows yet so if there are any visible glitches please let me know.

Please share your thoughts on it good or bad. Thanks.

2. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Achh! Green!

*Keels over*

3. Boldar

Boldar Minimodder

That Green's aweful, don't forget teens are quite sophistamacated these days, it looks like a site for kiddies.

The content looks cool tho'

4. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

/nods in agreements

My eye's are still hurting after getting a flasho of that page! :D
    Content all seems to be there and its straightforward to use.

5. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

My eyes, my eyes!!!

6. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I have to say that after a second look at the site that it is really pretty good actually. It's easy to navigate and looks simple enough to order. In fact it's one of the best ringtone sites I've seen.
    The only suggestion I can think of is to make the link to preview the ringtone larger and clearer. It took a second to realise where you had to click to preview the songs.

7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

yep, if i was a teen, which I am, i would go "aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!"

search is cool, and everything looks good except that green :)

8. kplonk

kplonk What's a Dremel?

Site, looks good. The logic is slick everything is where you would expect to see it. I would love to know how you want about making the sides of the boxes look torn. I need to create a similar effect for a site I am working on for an Egyptology society?

Thanks K

9. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Looks like he's created a simple bitmap and just used that, inverting it for the bottom.

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

he doesnt seem to care much about comments here, maybe this was just a way of advertising inconspicously :-/

11. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

yeah looks like he is trying to get some hits

12. andymoo

andymoo What's a Dremel?

No, I appreciate the clicks and comments but have just spent the last couple of days going through the database and making it a lot tidier, if there are three versions of a tone they are now labelled version 1, 2 and 3 and so on.

Also spent time going through spelling errors in there and making sure track title and artist names are right.

I've taken the comments onboard about the green, it is too much and I will tone it down, in the meanwhile it's nearly 2am here so I'll sleep first then come back with an update once there's something good to report back to yu all.

Dex, WOW, "one of the best" my god that is cool thanks! I feel doubly guilty for buring your retinas out now!

kplonk, "slick logic" cool thanks. the jagged edges are just images in table cells, top and bottom is the same pic, inverted as hepath said and the same for the sides.

bogomip, yeah i do care about the comments, they have been taken onboard, are much appreciated and will be acted on once i've spelt........

thanks folks

13. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

You might want to change the &pound1.50 's to

&pound1.50;

I'm a teenager, and the color scheme isn't too appealing. Might want to look into some less-harsh colors.

14. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

good! im glad you proved me wrong! and i do have to agree with dex. Though i havent seen many ring tone sites, the ones i have are littered with popups and horribleness, this works well (except for the afformentioned background particular ;)).

the only real whim i have now, is that although your "Lionel Richie" selection is "ok", it doesnt have "Hello"! Whats that all about ?

15. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Also another note, since you'll have to re-do your torn paper images if you change the background colour I would suggest making them transparent gifs or at least just plain gifs if that doesn't look good. Gifs are great if you need fewer than 256 colours; Jpgs just look plain ugly for anything other than photos. Ideally you'd use 32bit png images but then most people use IE and you have to consider their poor browser capabilities! :grr:

16. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I think PNGs work OK in IE - isnt it transparent PNGs that don't..?

17. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Yes, 32-bit PNGs IE ones with an 8bit alpha transparency mask don't work in IE. They do work in Firefox and Opera though.

18. ellism

ellism What's a Dremel?

yeah its anoying that the png transsparency don't work in i.e. because they look so much beter than gifs.

19. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Yeah, they are more versatile and handle more colours, but typical of IE, it falls short yet again...

20. ellism

ellism What's a Dremel?

fingers crossed for a new i.e. or that some other people will get the idea to change browser.