1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Shuttle SK41G Onboard Video Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by olv, 25 Jun 2004.

1. olv

olv he's so bright

I just built my first shuttle system. its a budget system for my gfs grandparents.

Specs are:

SK41G
    Duron 1800
    256mb Kingmax DDR
    40gb Maxtor
    PCI 56k modem
    Onboard everything else.

Everything worked out fine at first, no problems whilst building (extremely impressed with the shuttle), windows install went fine (windowsXP), then i started to notice slight horizontal tears across the screen. This was after i had installed the shuttle drivers so uninstalled all the drivers, used windows standard and it seemed to work. until i noticed them again. So i go into BIOS, change the video core speed or something, change the amount of system ram is uses, might have changed some others settings. Seemed to fix the problem. Until they started appearing again. But as the shuttleis left on longer the tears get worse adn more frequent until it becomes completely indistinguishable. Turn the monitor off for a while, turn it back on no difference. I was going to flash the latest BIOS but cant actually see windows when it loads to do anything.

Anyone any ideas? Or is it just a matter of RMA'ing it?

[edit] its an SK41G, not SN.

2. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

I remember those SN41G's have an agp slot if im right. Try a spare agp card. Sure you got one hanging about olv;).

3. olv

olv he's so bright

Unfortunately not, at my gfs house so not a hardware emporium.

I presume that would solve the issues, but thats not the point. an dedicated video card isn't needed, a gf2 would be overkill.

4. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

Try some different ram, if you haven't got any check ram timings and refresh rate for screen, d/l latest m/b and video drivers for the SK41. But as it gets worse the longer its on sounds thermal... You may be RMA'ing it

5. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

Do you get the lines on the BIOS screen as well, or just under windows?

6. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

It could possibly be a heat-related issue. Does the NB fan/sink seem warmer than it should be?

7. olv

olv he's so bright

It does get lines in bios if it is left on and then you go into BIOS.
    I have checked RAM timings, its pc3200 (was cheaper then 2700/2100) running at 133 with timings by SPD.

I think its just a faulty video chip or whatever. The NB doesn't get excessively hot, not more then i would expect.

Just waiting for a reply from aria so i can RMA it.

8. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

We had a similar sounding problem with a compaq laptop for work. The memory wasn't seated right. Just needed pushing in properly.

Probably not the samething in your case, but it might be worth checking the memory. Do you have any you could swap it with?

9. Eggsnipe

Eggsnipe What's a Dremel?

Hi I have the same moddle of Shuttle and I just wanted to say i Think i had the same kind of problem. and as SilentDeath said I believe it was a heat related issue because if you notice how much heat that little baby gives off... but I dont know.. maybe download the RAM surport list not sure if it surported pc3200 but hey have a look.

10. olv

olv he's so bright

well the RAM is clocked to ddr266 so thats not the problem and i swapped in a 512 stick of corsair xms today, tried all ram in both slots and still same issues. just gonna have to rma i think. still no reply from supplier though :grr:

11. Eggsnipe

Eggsnipe What's a Dremel?

OK WELL.. good luck with it

Tags: