1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project X1 (Updated Nov 3)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by agent orange, 2 Jun 2004.

1. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Don't worry, I'm sure the effort will be worth it in the end! :D

2. agent orange

agent orange What's a Dremel?

I borrowed a digi cam, so now I can take some decent pics!

Painting is pretty much done.

Here's some shots during priming:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's some more after 3 coats of gloss black engine enamel.
    [​IMG]

Whew... that was a lot of work, but it was worth it. Paint need to cure for 5 days, and I have to work quite a bit, so Project will be sort of on hold for a while.

3. sevag

sevag What's a Dremel?

hey there, i too had the idea to put a pcb-like applique on my side window, but never figured out how. when you reach that stage in your modding, can u plz like make a how-to for the applique? thanks

4. agent orange

Almost forgot to post this pic....
    [​IMG]
    I wonder what' I'll do with this?

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

PS1 screen? I wonder too........... I need to get one of those!

Looks nice so far... can't wait for the finished product.

But boo for floppy. I see floppy disks behind that screen..... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: Yay for SilenX though.

6. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

my o my i love how u painted those red x's

7. agent orange

Pics are working fine...

8. agent orange

Case is back together, but something's wrong with my photobucket account... :(

Also, my A64 stuff got here. Some of it, anyway. Waiting on the MSI mobo and new top for my RBX. Also, my NB and GPU blocks should be here tommorrow or thursday.

I had a question, as well: for all you WC guys using the BIX2, what do you use to mount fans to it? I don't have a full set of mounting hardware, so I need something else... I'll check Home depot, but that won't be til next week.

As far as the other side, I think I'll be mounting it onto modder's mesh so it shouldn't be too hard to just use self-tapping screws to attach it to the case.

Anyway, I'll post the new pics when I get my photobucket acct. fixed.

9. Silverstrand

Silverstrand What's a Dremel?

Pictures do not load for me either. You probably have them cached. Refresh a few times.

10. !!CheWiE!!

!!CheWiE!! What's a Dremel?

Or deep refresh even :naughty:

Pics dont load for me either.

11. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Some of photobucket's servers are down. Check back later.

12. agent orange

Server's back up. Here's the pic of the case all together (almost). Just waiting to rivet the top back on once I cut it up.
    [​IMG]

Also, the rest of the blocks arrived today:
    [​IMG]
    these things look amazing. The copper almost glows.

And here's the new proc I'll be using. It came as a bundle with this Asus K8V SE Deluxe, which I'll be switching out for an MSI K8N Neo Platinum.
    [​IMG]

Updates will probably be put on hold til about next week, because I work a lot, so I can party for canada day! :rock:

Let me know if anyone's still having a problem wiht the pics.

13. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

mmmm i like where this is going

14. agent orange

Finally got back to working on this baby. I'll post some pics when the camera charges. I want to finish the cutting today, and hopefully start leak testing my WC gear, now that my A64 top is FINALLY here.

I have a question for the modders, though. I'm going to be having a modder's mesh grill at the top of my case, with the rad right below it. The holes are exactly 1/8", so I can mount the rad right to the mesh, but I'm looking for ways to mount the mesh to the top panel. clearly I could use screws/bolts, but I would rather not, because my plan was not to have any screws protruding. I was thinking maybe glue... but I'm not sure if that will bond to the metal.... if anyone has any ideas, let me know...

15. Miirk

Miirk What's a Dremel?

You could always do it ghetto-style and use some double-sided tape (don´t know the word in english)! :D

Nice case btw! :p

16. Zeus

Zeus What's a Dremel?

You could use some JB weld, its a 2 part epoxy putty that can be used to seal up holes in metal pipe. I havent used it my self but i hear its wicked strong. Also you could use some regular 2 part epoxy or silicone.

Quick question, did you used to be on the firestorm forums before they closed down ?? Go to see a fellow albertan on the forums here !!

Cheers, good luck.

17. Zeus

Zeus What's a Dremel?

Forgot to ask, but what kind of pump are you using ??

Has anyone used one of those 12v danger den pumps, i have a eihem (sp?) 1250 and its quite but huge, does anyone know how loud the 12v danger den pumps are ? and do they perform well ??

Thanks

Zeus

18. agent orange

Forgot to post... Here's a pic of the side and top panels all ready for cutting.
    [​IMG]
    I've cut the top, and I'm just finishing the deburring/sanding. more pics to come.

19. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

Glad to see that you're getting rid of that awe full vent in the side panel. I'm still considering what to do with mine.
    I just got my 3x CoolerMaster STB-3T4-E1 4 in 3 Device Module delivered by the mailman. Now I can start with my file server with 16 hard drives.

20. agent orange

The project still lives! I've been having some intense things happening lately, but here's some pics of the project so far:

Top panel finished:
    [​IMG]

#1 reason NOT to use a cat litter box as a workbench:
    [​IMG]

New Mobo assembled (with air HS for now)
    [​IMG]

Mobo and components installed ( I know it's a mess, I'm not done)
    [​IMG]

Couple case pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where it gets nasty... this is the gibberish my HDD rack was displaying when I powered her up. It was also glowing a wierd yellow color. This shot was taken moments before smoke started pouring out of the rack....
    [​IMG]

The only cause I can think of is ESD while moving the components. Either way, that HDD, and my 2 racks are now completely dead. I'm using a WD 120 for now til I can get something nicer, or a replacement from maxtor.

I plan to get the WC system tested and installed this weekend. Stay tuned for more updates.