1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project F40

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by lamcdonald, 14 Mar 2004.

1. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

I think you should paint the lines of that car and make it fit in with the wheels.

BTW:Looking really good

2. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

i think you made the right choice - that cut looks great - not to mention fitting for the project!

been following this one from day one - with that gear shift idea - it was brilliant - great job kipping the porsche spirit!

oh and i love the little wheels - makes moving it so much easier ;)

3. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

i think (hope) he meant to say ferrari

and that horse cutout looks great.

[edit] woot! 250 posts![/edit]

4. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

very good cut there.

the best way to get centre bits for windows is to cut out the cutout and then glue the centre piece to the plexi. so for the f40 you cut the out line and then cut the centre of the 4 and 0 and glue that to the plexi. it then looks like it's floating. You could also do that with the bit between the legs of the horse.

HTH

5. lamcdonald

lamcdonald What's a Dremel?

maeterlinck: Yes, I think I'll have to do it that way. I wanted to avoid it because I have never once in my life been able to glue things together properly :blush: but hopefully it will work :)

I haven't been able to do any work on the F40 this week because I somehow got another chest infection :( But I have been working on my site :D

www.lamdesign.net

It's still in the very early stages and may not be accessible until your local DNSes update. I'm hoping to get the worklog section finished tonight.

6. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

sweet cutout! and the top is even sweeter!!
    Keep up the good work, and get well!

7. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

[off-topic] :wallbash: ofcourse i meant Ferrari.
    just goes to show you how thoughts/names can mix up when you are SOOOO tired... SO SORRY for the mistake :duh: SO SORRY...[/off-topic]

how about adding a nice motor roar sounds for when you turn it on?

8. lamcdonald

Balder: Thanks :)
    Unfortunately it looks as if I'm not going to be able to shake this bug easily :/

alianyn: Yep, that's exactly what I'm planning to do :)

Nothing new to add in terms of new work :(, but I have completed the Worklog section of my site (up to the last working day), and it has quite a few pics I haven't posted here :D

http://www.lamdesign.net/ProjectF40/Worklog2004-06-12.shtml

edit: Added a couple of pics...

[​IMG]

The failed motor drive unit :(
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Jun 2004
  9. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

Just wanted to add my appreciation to the list. This is a great mod, I've enjoyed following it, and I'm realy looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. Keep up the great work.

10. lamcdonald

This project has ended up taking a lot longer than I though it would... 3.5 months already!

Having a chest infection for 2 weeks is no fun :/ I've had 2 courses of antibiotics and they haven't touched it :( It keeps coming back...

I finally felt well enough to work on it again today. Got a little bit of painting done and attached the spoiler.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I spent an hour or so touching up the edges and removing the burrs using a diamond bit in my cordless dremel thing. These pics were after I finished.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The mane was a bit tricky, but I got it sorted without any dramas :D The tiny little bit in the horse's mouth nearly got snapped off, but I caught it just in time... I de-burred both sides of the panel of course :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After a coat of primer; sitting in front of TheDalek (my yellow case) :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Undercoat; I paint the edges first to make sure they're covered well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

First coat done! :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now the spoiler... Pics taken just before I glued it on. Forgot to get closeups after gluing sorry :( I had to fill the edges so it will hopefully look like one piece... :p

A few glamour shots as usual :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the pic quality :( It was getting dark outside and I didn't want to use the flash because it burns the colour out. I increased the jpeg quality, but it still makes the red look weird and fuzzy :waah: I think I'll make the pics bigger from next update. Is 806x606 too big?

Project Stats

Date: Wed 30 June 2004
    Cost to date: $230.35
    Working Time: 113hrs
    Dremel disks used: ~40
    Dremels killed: 0.98
    Parts discarded: 3
    Parts destroyed: 0
    Next: Painting and spoiler
    Looking for: Nothing at the moment...
    Next update expected: Thurs 1 July 2004

11. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

WoW! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    That looks killer! man, make me one :D
    Imagin, asking a girl if she wants to come home and se youre custom built ferrari :hip:

And you need some headlights :p

Last edited: 30 Jun 2004
  12. y_N_e_M_a

y_N_e_M_a What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: looks soo cool.

but i think that the huge guage doesnt match were it is, but maybe it looks better in real life.

but still, very nice indeed :thumb:

13. SuperFreak

SuperFreak What's a Dremel?

:eeek: OMG! I dont like this one, I love it!!! It looks great! I want one of those... You know that thing over the connectors on the motherboard (dont know the right word for it...) back of the PC, why not make it in plexi? Like the hood (right word??? Im tired...) over the motor...

14. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

really nice i only have one issue with it. that "Gearchanger" (the right word doesn't come to me mind) will be hard to reach on a table. Personally i would've built a little part to the bottom of the front that stands out and has it on top but it's your pc so i don't have a say in it:)

nevertheless great mod :hip:

15. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

Great Job! In one pic it looks like the paint is shifting between orange and red, did you use a color changing paint or is that just a camera bug?

16. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

i think its jus the lighting i would haev sed flash but he sed he didnt use it.

17. WeldZilla

WeldZilla What's a Dremel?

Great work!! My 8 year old walked in while I was looking this over son as he saw it he knew it was the Ferrari F40 . He loves exotic cars and X-box and drives those cars on X-box. So if a car freak recognized it immediately. Then you have done a great job!!!

WZ

18. lamcdonald

Thanks for the coments everyone :)

I can make one for you for about $5000 AU :p (£2000) :D

I thought about headlights, but with the front being vertical, I couldn't think of a way to make it look good :/

The gauge is a little large, but that's the size it was :blush: I wasn't going to risk breaking it by cutting it.

The orange effect is caused by the flash :( I try to avoid using the flash, but there were a few pics in the last update that I couldn't avoid :/ I didn't use the flash for the outdoor pics, but it was too dark and they came out blurry :/

WZ: That's great :thumb: That's exactly what I was hoping for... :D For it to be easily recognisable, but not a direct copy of the car :)

Still sick :( Can't wait for the cold weather to go away... :/

The pics are a bit bigger this time, hopefully the jpeg artifacts will be less noticeable... Hopefully not too large?

[​IMG]

I picked up some more bits yesterday. IDE cable, fans and thermal tape for the 2x Luxeon 1W red LEDs (which haven't arrived yet). I use the tape for all sorts of things, so I bought plenty :D

[​IMG]

Spoiler before sanding edges...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And after sanding and filling the inside edges. Unfortunately I'm going to have to respray the entire top panel+spoiler again, starting from undercoat :waah:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Removed the front fan grile

Then I decided to have a go at making a vented clear panel like the rear window of the F40...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First attempt was a dismal failure. :p Lesson: CD covers don't like heat :(

I hunted around and found some 2mm Polycarbonate, but that was heat resistant... 3mm Acrylic wouldn't heat evenly. I was about to give up when I found some 0.5mm PVC sheet :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

That worked quite well, but the bends were a bit rough. I tried a few test pieces and eventually found a technique that (kind of) worked...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's my ultra-high-tech bending rig :p Yes, that's a toaster :eek:

[​IMG]

and here's the result...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Far, far from perfect, but I think reasonable, considering it was basically a first attempt.

I haven't yet decided what I'll use this piece for, or even if I'll use it at all... If I do, it will probably have to be where the PCI slots currently are; I'll have to cut them out.

Project Stats

Date: Wed 7 July 2004
    Cost to date: $271.35
    Working Time: 117hrs
    Dremel disks used: 42
    Dremels killed: 0.9875
    Parts discarded: 3
    Parts destroyed: 0
    Next: Painting and spoiler
    Looking for: Nothing at the moment...
    Next update expected: Thurs 8 July 2004

19. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

Bravo! You Australians can't play rugby, but damn can you sure mod! :D

20. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

clear vents look amazing so glad u went with my sugestion.....maybe u thought of it first but i posted it first :p ...did u see the guy on [H]ocp wit the knock off of your case loks like he used the same case and everything.stop bondoing the spoiler and epoxie it, and it will never move again :thumb: