1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: F-117 - Updated July 20th '04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by liquidhot, 30 Jun 2004.

1. liquidhot

liquidhot What's a Dremel?

I bought this for $55 from my workplace:

[​IMG]

Backshot with removable motherboard tray in site:
    [​IMG]

It's got a 350 watt PSU by TSP (local-ish company that makes really reliable PSU's and extra long cables on the PSU's as you can see in the following picture):

[​IMG]

This project is actually for a friend. He wants a Stealth Fighter feel to it, but he also wants a mirror finish and one of those nice turbine fans that Bill Owen makes. So, here's a little of what I got for that plus the bondo that's not pictured and the jb weld I hadn't bought at the time this picture was taken.

[​IMG]

A little work with the dremel and off with the pvc cap!

[​IMG]

Then, I file with the coarse, slightly-rounded file to get rid of the corners. I filed from like 7 different angles because I want to get it pretty round before I put the bondo over it.

[​IMG]

Then with the finer, but still rounded end of the file:

[​IMG]

And finally, some 80 and 180 grit sandpaper by hand to get rid of all the burs:

[​IMG]

IT'S TIME TO WETSAND KIDS!
    [​IMG]

I bought this cool flexible sander thing because it was on sale...only to realize that it was to long for my sand paper....

[​IMG]

I could do some adhesive deal..but I'd rather go with the good old rubber 3M sand block.

[​IMG]

A Few in progress shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've finished wet sanding them. But I have to cut holes before I paint.

First, however, let's work on the front bezel!

[​IMG]

Made a hole for the pvc fitting:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I made it a little more flush with the front bezel and cut a curve on the top and bottom.

[​IMG]

Put some JB Weld to attach the hinging front bezel, the pvc fitting and the propeller prop.

[​IMG]

Allowing them to dry 24 hours.

[​IMG]

Ack! So much bondo!

[​IMG]

While I was waiting for the bondo to dry fully I took out the default grills on the motherboard tray. I'm going to stick some of the perforated steel I got from mnpctech.com behind it, and then I got some nice red paint for the chassis and all the internals. In one of the next updates, I'll show the EL Wire and Red CCFL's I got for the case.

[​IMG]

I cut the hole so the turbine duct could fit through. (It comes through about 1/8")

[​IMG]

I taped the turbine to the front bezel so you could see what the idea behind it is. You can also see I did a little sanding. It needs some work, but it's closer now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's a sneak peak of the holes I'm cutting for the window. I tried to make it somewhat reminiscent of the windows on the cockpit of the F-117

[​IMG]

Hopefully by Friday I'll have a primed chassis ready to have the first layer of red paint to be applied. w00t!

Last edited: 20 Jul 2004
  2. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

good job being a big fan of f-117s i'm sure to watch this one :)

what about the colour? you said shiny does that mean the entire case is going to be chrome?

3. liquidhot

Ahh, I should have been more specific. Instead of being a flat black, it will be a mirror finish on the black. :)

4. Silverstrand

Silverstrand What's a Dremel?

looking forward to this project. great work so far.

5. ATi Loyalist

ATi Loyalist Who throws a shoe?!

Nice work, being a private pilot, i will be watching this one for sure!! :D

6. liquidhot

The front plate is coming along slowly but surely. Because I primed it and then added more bondo, it gives it a cool marbled effect...not that I'm going to leave that bubblegum pink the color of my case, but it's kinda neat to see while it's in progress.

[​IMG]

As you can see above, some of my edges chip away when it becomes too smooth, but others don't. Does anyone know a good way to solve this?

Ready to prime:

[​IMG]

And now primed:

[​IMG]

I finally got some extra time set aside to wetsand the chassis. So I put some 400 grit to it.

[​IMG]

I also wetsanded the front plate and then attatched everything just to get an idea. (and to make it easier to carry back to storage for the night.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This morning I got up and decided it would be a good day for painting. In fact, the color red struck me as a good color:

[​IMG]

It looks so shiiiiny when the paint is still wet:

[​IMG]

Alright, that's it for now I leave you with this odd link that was sent to me the other day. askthetechgirl.com and umm, be sure to check out the t-shirts. ;)

7. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

I do it like the budhha everytime! :thumb: cause its me....

8. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

if you did not paint the front I would work the bondo a little more, it seems a little rough, of course it could just be the photos but...

good luck, nice color... :D

9. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

Way cool idea , very good execution , I like that window idea and the jet intake.
    Are ther going to be any subdued DANGER>.................<DANGER on ether side ? ( Dang , I like that jet intake look! )
    Edges of Bondo chipping ... you might have made the area where the bondo is too smooth before applying ( I know, that doesn't help now ) ... they also make finishing/finer grade of bondo for tiny imperfections that is used on top of the regular bondo as the final coat , they use it in the body shop at work.
    Looking forward to the next update!
    DB

10. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

look like the "hole" in the front could use some more bondon up around the top...

and f117's are really round at all :duh:

11. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero What's a Dremel?

Well the color looks good, but when you think stealth you usually don't think bright colors. My idea would be to use machine metal grey/ gunmetal for the inside and high gloss black on the outside. Still looks good and will be interesting to see the final outcome.

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

[​IMG]
    That a radiator back there? You didn't even mention watercooling :)

Looks nice, I love that front bondo job. Seems to be a popular thing to do recently.

13. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

mmmmm water cooling

14. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

looks more like a metal filter than a radiator :eyebrow:

JEEVES

15. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

i'm pretty shure it's a RAD like 96.14764585057 % shure

16. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

bet you 20 bucks

JEEVES

17. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

Although I'm not really a big fan of red, it defenitely looks cool. I really like what you did to the front plate of it. This may bring some ideas for me. :)

18. liquidhot

19. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

OOh OOh! Can I get in on this bet?!

Aluminum fan filter!

I bet whatever's in my wallet!

Damn.

EDIT: Bah! Damn the time delay on posts!

20. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

how bout just the satifaction of kowing the other person is a dumbass??? (most likly me)