1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding G5 motherboard

Discussion in 'Modding' started by o0mercer0o, 1 Jul 2004.

1. o0mercer0o

o0mercer0o What's a Dremel?

My pc recently crashed and i am getting ready to build a new one. I was looking at buying an empty mac G5 cace and putting a pc motherboard in it. Does anyone know what form factor the G5's mobo is? Can an ATX mobo fit in this case? I know i'll have to do some modding but i want the mobo to fill most of the back panel. I'm thinking a micro atx wouldn't look right inside this case.

2. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Tell me where you are going to get an empty G5 case. Tell me NOW!

3. o0mercer0o

Here's a linkthey have them with and without the power supplies

4. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

5. o0mercer0o

i saw that overclockers article. thats why i'm hoping a atx will fit. The microATX looks lke crap. i think that was just a joke he was pulling on one of his friends.

6. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

Jesus, that guy is a retard

macs are awesome, they look pimp, but no programs run on them!!! dammit!!!

[RANT]that spoiled athlon fanboy retard should burn!!!![/RANT]

7. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

well the baord will fit but you will probalby have to redrill some of the risers.they may have done this on the screens savers, but it was a g4

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Er, you should know, Robodude, that the "G5 to Athlon conversion" was a prank. It was an empty G5 case. He never stripped out a perfectly good, brand-new G5. ;)

9. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

I dont think its going to be difficult to do the mod better then in the acticle, thats jsut a waste of an amazingly good computer case, even though it was a prank its still a waste of a case

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I have to agree with you there...

11. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero What's a Dremel?

Personally I like the G4 mac case if I was going to do put my pc in one. Otherwise you could get one of those new Lian-Li's which look very similar to a mac case and are made for the ATX formats.

12. creeock

creeock What's a Dremel?

......or you could not be a Macaroni lover wanna be and build your own case.

just a thought

13. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Ok now mac vs pc...

macs run 90% of the mainstream programs that people use with their pcs. Macs even have a few games that are on the pc side too. No macs do not have all the software that a pc does but pcs do not have all the software that mac does... now if I could run Final cut pro 4 HD on a pc that would be awsome... Macs have software so this is not an argument. Macs may not have a few "games" that pcs have but that is the reason that I have a pc...

I have yet to see a good conversion to a mac case. I have though about doing that myself, to match the G5 that I will be getting in the future but 300 is still alot of money for a case...

14. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

try ebay, thats all i can say. i was going to do exactly what you are trying to do but the auction on ebay went above my spending limit. if you are willing to spend about $100-150 on a mac case then you can get a nice quick silver G4 model...he he he. make all of those mac lovers cry!! :dremel: :thumb: