1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Fantasy 7:Advent Children Case Mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KayinBlack, 2 Jul 2004.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Well, being a first console gamer and then PC gamer, I drooled at the thought of the FF7:AC movie coming out soon, but I knew I had to do something to celebrate...

It just so happened I picked up an old NLX format IBM Netfinity 3000 server, and from there, it just kinda started going downhill.

As I'm new to the whole "hosted images" deal, bear with me...

[​IMG] Applying the rust process junky...

[​IMG] More of the same, hours worth...

[​IMG] The side, with the attendant rust "bleed"

There's more to post, but I need a shower (currently pulling "doggysitter" duty) and then I'll be back to post more progress...

2. JungleGorilla

JungleGorilla What's a Dremel?

Nice effect... The rust effect seems to be getting quite popular...

Are you going to carry the rust theme through out the whole case, Inside and out? I ask cause I see some of the "rust stuff" getting into the inside of the case. Might have to be cleaned out or masked off...

Lookin good though :thumb:

[edit] damn those are mean chops bro! |^_^| [/edit]

Last edited: 2 Jul 2004
  3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Doesn't the movie have to come out before you can make the case... to get an idea? (when is it out anyways? later this week I thought...)

I can't say I remember anything being particularly rusty in FFVII either (and obsessed could probably be considered an understatement). That aside, it's an interesting start.

4. KayinBlack

Well, it haqs to do with "destruction of Midgar" thing (think under the plates, after sector 7 fell)-basically it's going to be a portable Mako reactor, complete with its own Materia crystal for power....

It's in progress, but here's a peek at some other things to come..

And yes, actually, the overspray is intentional...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the side window, had it laser etched by a friend...

5. halo21

halo21 What's a Dremel?

That has to be THE sickest (in the good way) window etching I have ever seen! DAMN!! Def going to keep an eye on this one

6. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

Holy S*** thats an amazing etch, i wish that i had a laserr etcher.... :thumb:

7. KayinBlack

Here's the beginnings of the keyboard...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gotta find the rest of the in progrss pics..

8. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

wow i think pilox should redo his in a similar fasion that is amasing....any chance your friend wants to go into buissness and etch us up some windows :D

9. KayinBlack

He's really the inspiration for a lot of this work...

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I hope you know your keyboard layout well :)

Can't wait to see the materia crystal. Perhaps you should also try to do something with the Buster Sword and use the two materia slots in the handle end (yep, I'm pretty sure that's what those holes are for, it's visible in highres shots of other weapons as well). Wow, I loved the materia system... I'm kinda predicting something like sanded down marbles with embedded LEDs (sanded to diffuse the light).

That etching is really cool... although Cloud's head seems kinda washed out in the second pic. I guess that's what happens when you turn yellow hair and skin into greyscale.

Speaking of which... I kinda wanna start a new game in FFVII. Unfortunately the last time I did I used some cheap POS memory card which deleted my game about halfway through... ARGH!

Honestly I don't know how I hadn't thought of doing an FFVII case mod... I mean I'm obsessed with the game.

11. KayinBlack

try an acrylic sphere fron US Plastics, with a 10 LED HDD meter in it...

12. Bobpa!

Bobpa! What's a Dremel?

Man, I love your keyboard. I got the same, maybe I can do something with it while I'm starting my first mod! :dremel:

13. KayinBlack

Here's pics of the front, showing off the "broken pipe" that I modded in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That will eventually get a caution design, and maybe a ripped sticker-but not a fan, it's more of a front window than anything...

14. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

very nice case dude, i was wondering how longit would take someone to make a Final Fantasy 7 case, ad it looks uber good so far BTW i have a
    FFXII font if you want it just email me (rocketboy206@gmail.com)

15. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero What's a Dremel?

All I can say is that keyboard is beyond words. I can't wait to see what your using for a materia crystal. Maybe quartz or rough cut or are you using a materia sphere?

16. whiteagle

whiteagle What's a Dremel?

The keyboard really rocks! I like the way you actually ground into it. Also, the way it almost seems like blast zones around the arrow keys and space bar. Definitly cool.

I hate to be the negative one, but the "rust" on the case really needs some help. You need more than 2 colors to make it look really rusty. Maybe something with either a bit more yellow or a bit more red just done lightly in places for accent, but right now it's looking like an orange case with mud on it.

Anyway, great case, keep up the good work.

BTW, what type of business is your friend in to have a laser etcher like that? I'm sure I know someone who must have access to one, but I don't know what all the commercial applications are for them.

17. KayinBlack

College.

And it's supposed to look more like mud than rust, both are appropriate. Unfortunately I was not able to locate teh same substance that piloux used on his case, but as mine is a completely different application, it works.

Gonna have to start breaking out the internals and modding them next...

18. coil

coil What's a Dremel?

My only criticism is that from the game I *really* don't remember orange being such a strong color. FF7 seemed washed much more in steel-grey, green, and blue than orange - especially the industrial areas.

Of course, it's your case, and you're doing a fantastic job with it. Just offering my 2 bits. Keep it up!

19. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero What's a Dremel?

Thats because his case is being modded to look like midgar 2 years after the storyline of FF7. He is going for an Advent Children theme which is a new Square Enix dvd release hitting Japan this summer. Can't wait to see the film and this case when finished. :D

20. KayinBlack

Where in OH, nightingale_zero? I travel a lot... have to meet up, see my real system.