1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Ideas for my matrix-themed mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by robotguy9000, 19 Jun 2004.

1. Zion

Zion What's a Dremel?

im going to put in in my word and see how to goes over. ok i was thinking it would be cool to get an Acrylic cases and do the Matrix code all over it. put some green light in it so the code looks like its on a screen from the movie. but, its not my mod so do what you want with it, i do like the sentinel idea.

(Off) after your done you can call it ZION :D (Off)

2. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero What's a Dremel?

Also I would stress wires going everywhere in the case. I know its not what we are going for but on the consoles they use to moniter and tap into the matrix you see lots of wires, cables, and rough looking setups. Also for color you have to go with a nice sleek black and probably get the code in there faintly into the paint or something.

3. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

kewl!

Yeah, i was thiking of just having bunches of wires going on the sides of the case, that would look pretty cool, also maybe do some modding on the mouse!

4. the.nth.degree

the.nth.degree What's a Dremel?

there's tons of possibilities with this. but choose wisely, don't wanna clutter the case :thumb:

couple ideas i had: make the resevoir one of those red pods where the ppl are grown. may require a lot of modeling but would be nifty. in the same vein, u could try mounting the pump up top and make it look like one of those harvesters and then the tubing with the red liquid running to/from would look like those arms they have that suck up the pods (maybe i'm getting too complicated here :D ). along the lines of the phone, u could add a payphone keypad to the front for power, reset, fan control, whatever. may not mesh wit the rest of the theme tho. u could also try to make the case feet look like those disks on the bottom of the hover ships that make them float. with the side panel and code stuff i'd say go fer laser etching. u'd get the best effect. and to make it light up real nice i'd recommend running some EL wire/tape (preferably the tape since it's flat) round the edge of the window so that from the outside u don't see the EL wire but it would light up the window thru the sides. if the EL wire is bright enuff it would make a laser etched design stand out nicely. in theory, it should make just the etching glow. personally, i'd think more of a rusted dark steel look (like the inside of the hoverships) would work best rather than smooth and shiney. and of course, with this mod u'll hafta go with dual lcd monitors :naughty:

gl with all this. hope to see some photos soon

Last edited: 2 Jul 2004
  5. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

the switch that controls the EMP in the movie would make a nice power switch.

also, if you have a pair of smooth jawed vise-grips handy, use a dremel cutoff disc to make something like a small asterisk, then tear the metal while bending it back, it will look more real.

or you could use a oxy-acetelyne torch to cut the metal, basically those lasers are just a futuristic oxy-acetelyne torch.

6. the.nth.degree

the.nth.degree What's a Dremel?

word. or a pwr switch for lights or whatnot

7. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Maybe a little late...

That is why I am the "resident physist"... hmmm

And BTW optical fibers do not let appricible light leak from the fibers, in an isolated system the only light comes out the end. The reasons that the lamp has light all over the place is because most of the light does not enter the optical fiber...

BTW interesting mod ideas and I look forward to it starting...

8. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum What's a Dremel?

I love ur case ideas. It looks to be a very incredible project.

I think that you should get a small LCD screen, and run constant matrix code on it. Set it up so that it looks like one of those monitors from the movie. Not quite sure how to do this, but I'll think on it.

Also, once you get it running, you have to install ZMatrix. I'll see if I can find a link to the site and post it later. If you don't know what it is, definitely look it up.

ohh btw...you got my first post! YAY! You should feel special. :D

9. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. They make a side-emitting optical fiber that is used for entertainment/display and not for communications. Expensive though. There are many different types of optical fiber out there... :thumb:

10. cogitoergosum

There is a method for making ordinary fiber optic cable function like the cable that you linked too. I'll see if I can find the link and eidt it to this message in a bit. If I remember correctly, it involves putting small nicks in the fiber optic line or something.

11. I'm_Not_A_Monster

super fine sandpaper.

fold it over so the grit is on the inside, then knick some spots with the a small razor blade, so some spots will look brighter than others. a textured look

12. cogitoergosum

exactly what i was thinking!

13. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

I coulda sworn that I said that earlier...hmm. I was definitely thinking it :D.

So when are you gonna start building this thing already ?

14. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

any progress?

15. seforin

seforin What's a Dremel?

damn i dont wanna sound like im ripping off ideas here, but im currently working on a similiar mod (for about 2 months now) except mine was more focused on nothing but the sentinel, i was goign to have a single sentinel drilled into my monitor and convert my keyboard/mouse /pc to have a old worn down gun metal look and have power plugs (like the sentinel arm) coming literally out of the pc/mouse and monitor all plugging back into the sentinel sitting on top of it, and as 2 added bonuses im actually chaning out the workstation area and having a big AC power vent coming from my computer pluging into the wall and having the majority of the plugs have red lights in them so it gives off an erie evil glow

Just figure my mod is a cross between a sentinel form the matrix and the power cords from invader zim/johen vasquez style and you have the project im working on currently =p

But any tips on painting metal that looks faded? Im going for all black but black with metal fades in it

16. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

i say you just scuff up the paint with a high grit sandpaper, or very light white undercoatings and then black on top of it, which might give you a greyish look if you spray it right.

as for robot, i doubt he comes to the forums anymore.

17. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

with regard to the laser (and yes I'm aware that it would not look like an accurate laser beam as only the dot is visible, but that would look crap), I would suggest getting a length of very thin diameter acrylic stick. Rough it up with sandpaper and stick a red led in one end. The length of the stick would glow up red then like a laser beam. Obviously the thinner the stick the better...

18. I'm_Not_A_Monster

:duh: what about EL wire?

19. seforin

seforin What's a Dremel?

ok well im officially getting annoyed , i wanna try and get a pipe effect much like the one here in this image, but in a bigger scale, and im having a hard time even finding anything looking remotley close to it

anyone have any ideas ?

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/matrix2/matrix_complete_6.jpg

Based of the pipe in that center i wanna kind of have that effect on in multiple times coming in all sorts of directions.....any ideas on how to better achieve this effect on a greater and cheaper scale

=======================

oh and about the idea for the lining , that really does sound like a better idea and i am going to take that into consideration, but i gotta plan out this project more

20. I'm_Not_A_Monster

email whoever did it and ask. that kinda looks like short corrogated drainage pipes, connected together.

got to your local home depot or lowes and take a looksy