1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double or Triple?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Conrad, 3 Jul 2004.

?

Double or Triple?

Poll closed 8 Jul 2004.
  1. Double Fan Grill

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Triple Fan Grill

33 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

Ok i bought myself a yeong yang borg cube a while back and had a whole host of things planned for it, but being lazy means none of it has been done yet ;) To start things rolling again i really need help to decide on double or triple fan grills for the roof. The original plan was to have two roof windows, one for each half of the case and have double fan grills on top of the case. But once i found out the cube was big enough to take a triple i had to order one to check it out, but now i cant decide.

[​IMG]

I still like the double grill but i feel there is too much space either side of it, but then i think the triple just looks too big and over top. Opinions needed :confused:

2. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

:thumb:

I think with two triples, it will leave a nice thin border around all sides, and the strip down the middle. The doubles leave too much of a gap, that isn't going to be used, and just look like a bit of a void - imo.

With the triples, the top will look like a full feature, whereas with the doubles it will look like the top of a case with two fan grills in it. If you get me...

3. NoRemorse

NoRemorse What's a Dremel?

Use both of em :duh: :hip:

4. SuperFreak

SuperFreak What's a Dremel?

I think two doublegrills would look pretty good... But it seems like I'm pretty alone about thinking that...

EDIT: Spelling...

Last edited: 3 Jul 2004
  5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Why don't you just find a image editing program and try the idea out? should be simple..

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

if you are going to use the triple use it on the motherboard side, not like it is in the pic, since the drive side doesnt really heat up much at all, in mine i just have a single papst 120mm at 7v and that is more than enough to keep the drive side cool

7. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

Originally i was going to just put the fan grills on the roof but as i'm watercooling the cube i've no real need to expel the heat as there should be as much of it. So now i plan on putting perspex in there just like a normal window and the grills will sit on top of the case like they are in the pic. I could still remove the perspex if needed but that would also let the dust in then and i cant have that as i'd have to clean it more often ;)

I did have a quick go of editing the pic in psp but the grills are sitting at diff angles, so you cant just copy/paste another triple on to the left side. I'd have to take another pic of the case square on then edit it.

NoRemorse, deathball player per chance?

8. Predalien

Predalien What's a Dremel?

You say you've got a lot of ideas for the cube, just add another one more in the "Something beautiful" place^^

[​IMG]

In the end... I'd use both grills, the triple one in the side which needs more cooling power. And then fill the gap in the side of the double one with something... maybe a lcd which can be rised _____ ---> __\__ (I feel creative today)

9. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

Must of read my mind, that was one of my original idea's when the grills arrived. Cut out a little section in front of the double grill (maybe swap the grills over though.. double on the right) and make a mount for my 4*20 lcd which still has to be wired up :)

The only downside about that would be making it look good as i'd want it on a hinge so you could lay it flat or tilt it up to see it. But it would also spoil the view of the grills behind it and i would have to tilt my head quite a bit to see it under my desk. The middle section of the desk with the keyboard/mouse/etc on it extends out further than the bottom section where the case sits.

10. Predalien

Then the lcd is not a good idea... let's think...

I supose you already decided where to put the reservoir, but it would be nice taking the double grill near the front, and in the space left at the top rear, put the reservoir.

knowing the case is blow the desk... a control panel in the top? buttons and leds for opening the cd-drives, power on the pc, the pump, lights, the lcd... fanbus...

11. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

King of like my case (divergence) with the control panel on the top, very good idea for a case like that... :D

12. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

where did you get the double grill?? Also i like the triple one

13. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

coolercases sell em

14. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

thx but they are in the uk. :sigh:

15. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

rekarp, www.coolercases.co.uk is where i got them from, i know they are in the uk but i'm sure they post anywhere in the world, contact them and see if they can arrange something for you. the grills aint cheap but they are so smart and i've always wanted the heatkiller ones :D

pred, i wont be using a res in my setup, just a t-piece to fill/bleed the system. I did think about using a tank-o-matic res and mount it on the top of the case as seen in morphines case [here]. Or maybe an aquatube res but they are small, restrictive but look very smart ;)

I suppose a control panel would look ok but i'd rather have that stuff hidden behind the door than planked on top, mmm stealthy. I've got an idea for a diff type of control panel.

16. Predalien

T piece... well, it works, but isn't it a little pain to fill the loop with it?

You always can hide the top control panel with a door. Or you can mix it with the lcd idea, make it so it can be turned anytime leaving it facing the inside of the case. But that turns to be something a little more difficult to do...

[​IMG]

That's my crazy idea and my sketchup works just for killing time :hehe:

tell me tell me!!

17. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

wow that would look cool if you could work out the flipping thing with all of the wires and stuff. or an easier route would be to set the control panel in a little and have a door that either flips up or slides back. :naughty:

18. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

:hehe: i think someone has seen one to many james bond films :D that would be very smart but in real life you would have to make the base plate(where the switches are mounted) alot thicker to hide the back side of the switches and the wiring. If you were to make the two round pivot points big and hollow you could route the cables through there. Probably a little bit out of my skill range but i think someone has just volunteered to make one to show off to the rest of us, come on pred ;)

Or as burrito has just suggested i could cut out the section at the front and recess the control panel then get a single grill and put it over the top, hopefully attached with a hinge so you can just lift it out of the way. It would also continue the look of having a triple fan grill on each side.

19. Predalien

Sometimes it's difficult for me to understand every ideas you post, good english, but sometimes not enough for me, I'm spanish^^

For the wire stuff... the flip center for the plate won't be in the middle, just near, so there's a side of the panel that never goes out of the case (for the wires). The panel would never be totally horizontal, but I don't think that matters, you could put something in the place where the panel is a little more elevated than the case for pulling the plate.

I think 1cm or something less would be enough thickness for the plate, mayve conved, like in the picture:

[​IMG]

20. LabRat1

LabRat1 What's a Dremel?

how about 2 rows of triple fangrills...
    put in lowRpm fans, HUGE airflow low noise
    you will need some equal intake though