1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Could I expect to sell my first mod for a decent price? EDIT: Decided to sell.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by blurredvision, 1 Jul 2004.

1. blurredvision

blurredvision What's a Dremel?

I'm in the need for some cash within the next couple of weeks to purchase a 3200+ A64, and I was wondering what you guys thought of my chances of selling my first case mod. The link can be found in my sig. The case will come without a power supply, and I'll probably not be able to scrape up 2 fan grills for the top blowhole and the front outtake. Therefore, it's a pretty barebones mod, although a nice looking one I think. All that needs to be added really is the two fan grills and some inside lighting if someone so chooses. I have some updated pics to upload for the case, which is pretty much complete, but will not be able to upload for a couple more days.

So do you guys think I'd be able to sell it? And for how much with shipping included? I've got a number in mind, but I'm going to wait to see what you guys say.

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: I've decided to sell. It's my Halo 2 mod, and it's up on eBay if anyone's interested. I can send you a link through PM if you'd like to check it out.

EDIT: Lowered price on it.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2004
  2. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

It looks like a quality bit of work... see no reason why not.

3. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Mod projects don't tend to sell too well.

4. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

If you are looking to sell it as a normal case with mods, but at the same price as a normal case, then it will sell.

But the mods will not add any extra value to it. If anything it will devalue most cases.

Unless its something extremely special.

5. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

If you want to sell your project, you should finish it first. You made modifications to the case and even where and how the PSU is mounted. You already have an investment in the thing, now you have to complete it -- get a couple of fan grills (not the standard ones either) and an adequate PSU.

If you sell someone an incomplete project, they will not be happy, even if they know it's incomplete. Finish the job, sell it at the best price you can get and move on to the next project.

Grump

6. darkhunter

darkhunter What's a Dremel?

try to bundel it with a copy of halo for pc and a lot of halo mods and pic on the pc then find some halo fans and work magic if you can find some body devoted to halo enough u might beable to make some serous money

7. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

yeah i would have to vote for ebay...it is true you can sell just about anything. that is a schweet mod though!!! :rock:

8. blurredvision

I understand completely what you're saying. But about the PSU, I have modified where it is, but the beauty is that it can still go in the old place. The front window still has an outtake on it, and is a nice window to look into. Doesn't necessarily matter if the PSU is there as originally planned. And the reason that I don't go ahead and put a PSU there is because of the lack of money to purchase one.

And I don't have much of an investment into the case, either. The case is years old, so that investment paid itself off long ago. The paint cost me a total of $12, not too big of a deal. That's about it. I bought a dremel, but it will be used for other things, so I don't count that into the cost.

If I sell someone a techincally incomplete project, I believe they'll still be happy. They'll know it's incomplete, but only by a couple of fan grills. It's up to them to add whatever color lighting they want, and whatever components, including the PSU.

I think I'll put it up on ebay and see how it works out. Thanks guys.

9. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Just to reiterate, modded PCs/cases generally sell poorly.

It's shaping up to be a great piece of work and the results so far are looking good.
    But in most cases (scuse the pun) a modded PC/case needs some serious exposure and/or media coverage before it will even make back the costs.

But if you've decided to put it on ebay, think about what you believe it's worth (at a minimum) and set that as your reserve.
    Good luck with it ;)

10. blurredvision

Well, I've decided to try and sell it. It's up on eBay as we speak. If I can atleast get the price I started the auction at, I'll be a very happy man.

11. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Just saw it, intersting

In my take custom cases sell when they get noteriety, i.e. winning a contest or being in a computer magazine, etc...

You never make your money back on things like this, as in with anything custom unless it is hugely superb quality, i.e. orac 3 or black mesa HL2, etc.

Good luck on your auction... :D

For Example, my computer (project divergence) has recieved multiple people asking the buy it... but I will not sell... :hehe:

12. blurredvision

I'm trying to advertise it a bit in the Halo 2 forums over at Bungie.net. We'll see what happens with it. I set my minimum price I'd like to have for it. Hopefully I'll get atleast 1 bid, then I'll be happy :).

13. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Is there anychance of you posting a link here or if it is out of B-T rules ( which i think it may be) Could you PM it me? I would be interested to see how the bidding goes.

14. blurredvision

I don't know if it's against the rules, that's why I didn't post it here. You can search on eBay for Halo 2 case mod and find it.

I'm probably asking too much for it, so I'm not sure if it'll sell or not. We'll see though.

15. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

This means you are including the 2 fans you mentioned. Because the pictures you show on the site include the fans, you will be obligated to include them. Is this what you wanted?

No mention was made of the PSU mount modification. Although you explained this away in a reply to me, you have a fan and a window mounted in the area of the PSU's normal location. That's gonna generate some questions I'll bet.

Grump

16. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

send an e-mail to bungie, or post on there forums hehe, your sure to garner more interest if it gets out to the bungie fan community. btw it's a nice looking case

17. blurredvision

Ya, I wanted to include the fans as well. Those fans aren't a problem. One of the few things that I did spend money on for this case. And I doubt I'll see any questions about the PSU in the front. Not unless anyone see's it that frequents bit-tech a lot.

18. blurredvision

I lowered the price on it.

19. henson0115

henson0115 Banned

were the link to ebay

20. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

Search for "Halo 2 case mod" on ebay...