1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Learning basic electronics....help please.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Darth Joules, 5 Jul 2004.

1. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

I must admit my knowledge of electronics is very basic at most. Changing a plug or re-wiring a fan from a 4 pin Molex to a 3-pin plugis about the limits of my skills. Now I seriously wish I hadn't quit GSCE Physics at 13. :sigh:

Is it worth learning basic electronics with respects to modding? Not the drilling and sanding side, but the ability to build gizmos like so your LEDs dim slowly when the PC shuts down, etc, etc; to the more advance stuff like building your own LCDs.

Which would be best; taking a electronics course for beginners (I don't have much time for evening classes) or buying a book (recommendations?)?

2. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

IMO - a guided course is much more valuable. For one thing - most any course *should* have a lab part - which will be helpful in getting hands on experience.

3. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

I recommend this book to get you started in electronics. The information in the book is presented step-by-step and will get you experienced in electronics in very little time.

I used this book when I was first starting out in electronics and I can say that it is a very good book, well worth the investment.

Note: The drawings illustrating electronics in this book look cool. :D

4. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I think everyone used that book. I still have mine somewhere, though that one looks like a new edition. Is it still hand written?

5. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Modding and electronics go hand in hand in my book.

You can't beat a good course really. That said there are loads of fantastic books out there too, but it's all a matter of taste, the style/presentation/organisation that suits your learning best. Go down to a big book shop and spend half an hour thumbing through to see whats best.

6. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

Yep, that's been the book I was thinking of getting. :thumb:

7. MrSaLTy

MrSaLTy What's a Dremel?

Yes it still has that handwritten look.... you can even get this book at Radio Shack here in the states.

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Once you've got a bit of basic knowledge, the Experiments (Vol 6) in this series is very good to get some practical experience. :thumb:

9. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

After you are done with that book, use these too; they are a wealth of information with lots of circuits, uses, and theory.

I have all four of the books though the ones I see now seem to be a revision, or at least the covers.

10. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

Just downloaded all the PDFs. Gonna give vol.1 a read tonight in bed on the laptop....cookies (check), milk (check). Current chocolate cookie crumb count inside laptop = 23.5mg. :naughty:

Hey, 5 word illiteration! :lol: