1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 'Magic ink' that makes metal grow

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 5 Jul 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Ah - something that will make RFID even more pervasive by lowering manufacturing costs. That'll please the critics... This from the Beeb:

An eco-friendly way of "growing" metal for circuitry or antennas has been developed by UK firm QinetiQ.

The metal printing technique replaces conventional copper etching by using a special ink which attracts metals.

It means antennas for tiny mobiles or radio frequency identification (RFID) tags, used for tracking goods, could be made cheaply and quickly.

RFID tags are tiny microchips that talk to each other and experts predict they will be big business by 2006.

They are widely tipped to replace eventually the barcoding on products. Because they connect by radio, they do not require the scanners, so familiar with the barcoding system, to read their unique identification codes.

The metal printing technique could transform how RFID tags are made.

"The very basic principle is that you apply an ink to a surface that is water resistant, like a flexible plastic," Chris Bishop, general manager of QinetiQ Metal Printing (QMP), explained to BBC News Online.

"When you pass it through an electroless chemical solution, metal will 'grow'. It is not a special solution; it is an industry standard one."

More here

2. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

RFID's are a good idea. they could be used in supermarkets, all u do is put your card in a slot and walk your shopping by a scanner. All counted and paid for :thumb: thats me out of a job :D

3. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

RFID's are awsome.

Everything from security, to stock taking.
    How small can they get them with this technology?

I for one have no problem with the idea of doing a Cpt. Cyborg n having a chip in me for useful identification.

But asside from Kevin Warric styles, its not that good as a smart chip for security purposes.

4. nohope4me

nohope4me What's a Dremel?

What attracts my attentoniis the company that developed it: QinetiQ. They are a British company that works mainly in defense. Part of their R&D facilities are near my grandparents' house, located in Farnborough. I'll keep an eye out for this at the Air Show later this year, and take my camera.

Tags: Add Tags