1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's this RAM like?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SJH, 9 Jul 2004.

1. SJH

SJH Minimodder

OK I've bought RAM from Crucial before and I know that they're a good manufacturer etc, but I want to check that this will be worth the money. I intend to buy 2 sticks of 512mb PC3200 RAM from them (linky). The only thing with this is that it's lower spec than a lot of other RAM that I've seen.

I'm not a hardcore gamer, I occasionally play demos and I have a couple of oldish games lying around which I play from time to time, and I don't do much other hardware intensive stuff on here, so would the above setup suit me? (see other system specs in my sig).

I've also noticed that it's a lot cheaper than other RAM (such as Corsair or Kingston) which makes me wary that it might not be the best choice (although sadly my budget is around £100, which even the above choice exceeds).

So should I go with this, or are there any better suggestions?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long rambling post :D

-Sam

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I've used Crucial in many many systems, never had a problem.
    Also, I suggest buy direct from their site if you can, its cheaper than most and free delivery.

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Crucial memory does what its supposed to do, and it does it very well.
    If you dont need the super fast stuff for games then I would definately recommend crucial.
    In my experience it can be overclocked a bit, but not loads.

Crucial and corsair memory are both made by the same company, Micron. Corsair modules get the faster chips but Crucial memory is still of the same quality (but without funky heatspreaders).

go for it :thumb:

4. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Thanks for the help guys. I'll get the Crucial stuff :D

5. Endre

Endre What's a Dremel?

The Crucial PC3200 uses the same Micron 5 ns chips as OCZ EB. :D

It probably wont perform as good as the OCZ stuff, but there's a good chance it will run with 2.5-2-2 or 3-2-2 timings, at least at lower speed. Go for it.

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

:eek:

7. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

I had some crucial running at 2.5-3-2-6 so not too bad timings. Standard volts if i remember correctly too.

8. Endre

Endre What's a Dremel?

Well, correction; not all has those chips, but since Crucial is Micron's own brand alot of them do. :)