1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling The Ultimate Waterblock... T-REX 2 (56k warning)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by staffa, 26 Jun 2004.

1. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

it's quiet easy to answer to this question... with a dual bix you are going to have a colder water in the circuit but we've already said that water temperature doesn't influence the waterblock while it works with the TCcard on.having a bigger radiator allows you to give less power to the fans on it.

the comparative doesn't even have a sense to be made. the trex-2 will simply work at a lower temperature of every waterblock built by simple turning the trimmer on the TCcard :jawdrop: ...
    the wb (with TC on) keeps the coldplate temperature lower than air temperature (-2 <-> -10). it simply doesn't exist a waterblock that has better performace than this. eg: you buy a wb but the year after there is a new one that has a better performance of about 1°-2°...with the t-rex you don't need to buy a new because you simply have to turn the trimmer and you'll always have better performance :clap:
    i hope you've understood what i mean :)

Last edited: 7 Jul 2004
  2. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

test @ 13V without TCcard...

coldplate and water temperature:
    [​IMG]

detail

[​IMG]

as you can see there is ice forming (at maximum power with the TCcard disactivated) on the lower part of the copperplate... the trex2 will include a neoprene pre cut kit that will cover the copperplate and a small part of the plexi shell to avoid any possible condensation :thumb:
    the trex2 will be available from middle july and maybe a few day earlier :clap:

3. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

about the thermometers and probes we are using

a new kid in our labs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    comparison between the new one and my previous one used as reference(Delta Ohm HD8601P ). as you can see the data i've collected till now is more than reliable :clap:
    [​IMG]

"big" probe...
    [​IMG]

and small one...
    [​IMG]

MICROPROCESSOR THERMOMETER
    MODEL HD 9117 http://www.deltaohm.com/uk/hd9117.html
    Digital thermometer which can work with different types of probes with a Pt100 sensor with 4 direct wires or with the TP 870 series of probes with an amplified, linearised signal. Its typical use is in the field of refrigeration, heating and air conditioning, laboratory use, the food industry, agriculture, mechanical chemical and textile industries, research laboratories.
    Principal characteristics:
    liquid crystal display 31/2 digits, 12.5 mm high
    storage of the maximum and minimum values
    relative measurements
    use of probes with Pt100 sensor (3 or 4 wires, 100W at 0°C)
    accuracy in the field +25°C ±5°C:
    from 0 to +199.9°C: ±0.1% of reading ±0.4°C ±1 digit;
    from 200°C to full scale or from -0.1 to -200°C: ±0.2% of reading ±1°C ±1 digit
    instrument working environment temperature: 0...+50°C
    relative humidity: 0...90% no condensation
    measuring range: -200...+800°C
    resolution: 0.1°C in the range ±199.9°C, 1°C in the remaining range
    auto power off after 8 minutes
    automatic change of scale
    dimensions: 215 x 73 x 38 mm
    weight: 350 gr instrument alone

now you can say that our measurements are quiet correct :thumb: :cooldude:

Last edited: 8 Jul 2004
  4. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

Yeah i understand, i just typed it and didnt re-read it to see if it made sense, which it doesnt :p it would still be good to see how your wb without the coldplate compares to the current top blocks. I'm sure you can still get the maze4 with a tec. Will the trimmer to adjust the temps be mounted on the retail product? :brrr:

thx for the link for the gfx block i noticed it on your site earlier but there wasnt that many pics, there still isnt one of the clip/mounting brack when attached to the card is there? I was looking for a small 1/2" block for my 9800pro as the side panel on my new case(yeong yang cube) is very close to the agp card. Sadly i've just picked up an old maze3 with angled blocks that should solve this problem.

5. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Woah Staffa, how much did that cost?

6. smanet

smanet What's a Dremel?

It's still not sold in the referred shop. Anyway, I was told about 140€... :naughty:

7. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

the thermometer without the probes 250€...(special price 'cause we bought two of them..) :hip:

8. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

i really don't know how it's going to be sold...the designer of the trex2 and the one of the TCcard told us that they are going to make a big suprise so i can't really tell you these details..i'm waiting just like you :) the only thing i know is that it will be sold from the 15th of july or some days earlier...

the trex2 is expressly designed to work with the tec.we've made also got a normal waterblock which we used to compare the new results with.i'll post the graphics showing his performance soon. :thumb:

the gfx block has a lexan mounting bracket included in the gfx price,i'll find a picture for you. :thumb:

Last edited: 12 Jul 2004
  9. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

ThermoControlCard N° 001

here it is...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it takes about six hours to build one...

edit: i've forgot to say that the TCcard fits both standard pci and pci-xpress :clap:

10. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

lexan bracket for the gfx wb:
    [​IMG]

normal waterblock:
    http://www.ybris-cooling.com/images/gallery/20/K9typ606.jpg
    http://www.ybris-cooling.com/images/gallery/20/k93.jpg
    http://www.pctuner.net/img_wb/Stealth_K/presentazione/rev3/k9typ009.jpg
    http://www.pctuner.net/img_wb/Stealth_K/presentazione/rev3/k9typ026.jpg
    tests:
    http://www.pctuner.net/img_wb/Stealth_K/presentazione/portate_variabili.jpg
    http://www.pctuner.net/img_wb/Stealth_K/presentazione/test a vcore variabili.jpg
    All tests are @ 1833 MHz (1,65-2,0) except the last one @ 2525MHz

with a Seltz L30 the flow of the typhoon is 450 l/h

Last edited: 11 Jul 2004
  11. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

Thanks once again staffa, i was worried when you first said the clip was made of lexan as its usually rather thin stuff that rc bodyshells are made from, good for taking a hit an popping back but not strong enough for holding on a block ;) Nice to see a chunky piece of perpsex/acryllic on there.

If my maze3 block doesnt do the job i may well have to order one of these from you, good to see one fitted to a radeon so it gives me a good idea for space on the card. The only hurdle left now would be to learn italian so i could place an order if needed :D

12. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

we've chosen that chunky piece after several test involving alu,plexi and other stuff...that, trust me, it's perfect! :thumb:

we're working on the language problem... i believe that soon also the shop will be translated like they did for the waterblock specific site
    i'll contact the boss to have some more information :)
    i guess you would be the first non italian to buy a ybris waterblock :clap: and i would be very happy :cooldude:
    i'll post more information asap :thumb:

13. Voytek

Voytek What's a Dremel?

Dude I LOVE your blocks.
    Specially the GFX block. It looks sweet.
    I'd love to know how they hold up against dangerden's gpu blocks.

btw, is there going to be a peltier version of the gfx block?

NJ ! :thumb:

14. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

i believe that our blocks are better than others for price, performances, care during realization :)

i don't think there will be a peltier version although many people on our forum have put a peltier to achieve incredible scores on 3dmark :)

15. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

I was thinking of doing this with a compressor powered waterchiller. Not only would I NOT need anti-freeze it would keep it just above ambient. Not to mention plastic housings freezing and breaking.

So, on average I'd see what? 78F? I can live with that. :)

And with a huge resivour the AC would kick on in bigger gaps of time.

Only problem is I need a lab quality thermostat to calibrate the sensors. That is a little too rich for me. So I am sticking with straight water. :(

16. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

plastic breaking???
    here you can see our typhoon waterblock @-190°... (right click, save object as)
    http://melkizedek.altervista.org/typhon@ln2.wmv
    the plexi resists :jawdrop:

anty-freeze??? i remember you that the water passing through the waterblock is above ambient.. :)
    the coldplate with activated TCc sets its temperature from 0 to 10° less than ambient temperature.i don't get why we should need anti-freeze??
    :thumb: of course.
    i agree
    :waah:

i'm sorry but we are upgrading the shop so we have to delay the official presentation of about a week :waah: :waah:

Last edited: 17 Jul 2004
  17. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

No I mean if you used a AC waterchiller the temp gets so low it can break plastic pumps over time. But with yours that isn't needed. :)

Last edited: 18 Jul 2004
  18. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

ok! :thumb: sorry i've misunderstood :duh: :)

19. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

good to see a couple of pages on the shop site are now in english, just need to get some international shipping and payment options added so we can all buy something :D

20. Voytek

Voytek What's a Dremel?

I'd really love to buy the T-rex block.
    But I don't understand a thing of the shopsite :p

Compatible with what kind of CPU's?

Tags: