1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod Project: APHEX

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ErrOnReq, 9 Jun 2004.

1. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

Ok, I finally uploaded some pics of my progress. I didn't take many pics of the second piece of fiberglass' construction. I snapped some of the cutting and shaping of the foam and then wrapped in aluminum foil. This time I sprayed and spread some cooking spray on top of the mold. It was a little more difficult to get the first layer of fiberglass on though. What I ended up doing was just brushing the resin all over the mold and let that harden and then do the fiberglass cloth layers on top of that. The cloth wouldn't bend well enough due to the non-stick spray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now here are some shots of the second piece which is done with the fiberglass work and awaiting Bondo. The part of the case that it attaches to isn't done yet, and still has to be painted on one side. I wanted to show you what the piece was and how it would fit in with the mod though. The piece covers the hole where the power supplies wires will come out and the hard drive cables go in. All the wires and cables will be routed through some cool 5/8 inch OD rubber tubing to go along the lines of the car/engine theme. There should be four black tubes which come out of the power supply (through the first fiberglass mold) and route through this piece and then down into the case. This second fiberglass piece, once cleaned up with some Bondo, will probably be painted with that truck bed spray stuff. You know how the parts under the hood of a car are kindof rough... I think I'm going for that look right here. We will see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holes still need to be drilled in the fiberglass piece and the panel it will be attached to. I'm not sure if I will tap the holes or just use rivets. I'll probably tap em though.

2. BadOldMan

BadOldMan What's a Dremel?

Sorry no pics dude, most of my experience has been at the NASTY ( :miffed: ) commercial end of the industry.. moulds for bathtubs, boats etc...

It WILL take a hell of a lot more practice and time but the results when done right are stunning! :D

3. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Looking even better since i last looked :D

4. ErrOnReq

I slapped some Bondo and Spot Filler onto that second fiberglass piece and smoothed it our real nice. Also drilled the mounting holes, tapped the holes in the panel on which it will mount, and painted it with the truck bed spray stuff. I need to get some nice black screws for mounting it, or paint some shiny steel ones I have.

5. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

i like it

6. ErrOnReq

I have some updates for you all which I will post tomorrow (Thursday). I will be on vacation Friday through Monday or Tuesday, so I won't be able to get any work done :( *whimpers*

This part of the mod is finally coming together. Check back tomorrow!

Last edited: 15 Jul 2004
  7. Kurtis

Kurtis What's a Dremel?

This is Brian, ErrOnReq... I wasn't able to update the worklog today, I'll do it Monday. I'm going to the lake for the next few days. Sorry :p

8. ErrOnReq

Got back from the lake Monday night! Sooo relaxed. Will update tomorrow. Tired, must sleep :p

9. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

ha ha ha "ERRonREG" i love your sig so funny, and i like the modding you are doing, fiberglass is great stuff just don't breathe the resign fumes in, nice case by the way

10. ErrOnReq

Well, here is the update I promised! This is all stuff that I have done in the past week or so.

I finished the second piece of fiberglass. Once the basic shape was made and cut, I used Bondo and Bondo spot filler to smooth it out and make it all purdy. Then I applied a nice coat of the truck bed coating. This gives the piece a very "manufactured plastic mold" feel instead of "crappy fiberglass work" feel ;)

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of the fiberglass piece and how it will be attached to the top cooling compartment. The screws I used are not final. I want to find some nicer screws that better compliment the style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of the first fiberglass piece all painted and purdy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are the top cooling compartment panels all painted and whatnot.

[​IMG]

Today I started the clear coating of all of these pieces. They should be completely done in a few days and ready for some sort of assembly... assuming I don't have to leave it unassembled for other mod work. Oh and before I forget... KITTY PICATOR! She got in one of my shots earlier, so I figured I'd take a pic so you all can see the little monster that likes to get in my way of my mods!

[​IMG]

11. ErrOnReq

I love my sig :D

For those of you who sadly do not know where it it from, it is quoted from a Wayne Brady skit on the Dave Chappelle Show. Wayne is one crazy mofo. Wayne shows his true side in this skit; not the grandma loving dancing joker, but the pimp gangsta foo who knows how to have a good time bustin caps.

Fo Shizzle.

(I'm not black)

(Really... I just find that show funny.)

(It's a funny show!)

12. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

awe cute kitty, you should name it killer!!!!, that would be funny, but that holder thingie ish that you sprayed with the truck bed liner that thing looks uber sexi, some one should do a whole case to that color, (well you know what i mean if done right it would be sooooo nice)
    minute after he posts

13. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

What size rivets are those? And how easy is it to rivet them back in? I'm about to go drill all mine out for ease of painting (Chieftec Dragon style case) and am lookin for tips.

14. ErrOnReq

These are 1/8 inch rivets; most case rivets are that size. You can get a pop-rivet gun at Walmart or HomeDepot. Home Depot or any hardware store will have a decent selection of rivet diameters and lengths as well as materials. I am using aluminum, but you can get steel if you want to.

Drilling out the rivets is the hardest it gets. Putting new rivets in is very simple and can be done with a cheap hand tool.

15. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero What's a Dremel?

Taking Dragons apart is easy, but putting them back together after they are painted is ubber hard trying not to ruin the paint. I might try machine screws or something myself.

16. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

omg that looks amazing! i love the fiberglass parts! great job pal! :clap:

17. ErrOnReq

I am currently working on two other fiberglass pieces that will aid in the hiding of the motherboard. I have the basic shapes done and tonight I hope to go at them with a dremel. Maybe some Bondo work as well if it doesn't get too late.

18. ErrOnReq

Well, I ended up doing even more with the fiberglass, so I haven't even touched the Bondo. Tomorrow I should finish up the fiberglass and do the Bondo. I also finished up the clear coat on the top cooling compartment. In two days, the coat should be completely dry, at which time I shall attempt some sort of assembly for pics.

19. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero What's a Dremel?

where did you buy you fiberglass cloth and epoxy and how much for the quantity you got? I was going to buy a kit from walmart(auto department) to start and then order some online.

20. Buzku

Buzku What's a Dremel?

Nice cat :D