1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Ammo Can Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MrBurritoMan, 5 Jul 2004.

1. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

ok i ordered the motherboard that i listed above and i think that this is going to be one screaming PC. also i have plans to integrate my LCD in to the whole project. i like what zap did with his case but im going to take it further. ill talk more when i get some parts. :thumb:

Last edited: 7 Jul 2004
  2. MrBurritoMan

Last edited: 7 Jul 2004
  3. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Personally I think the whole Biohazard theme has been overdone. I mean with Zap's, Piloux's (sorta), and countless others already having done similar themed cases, I'd try and come up with something unique and different.

4. MrBurritoMan

well i am having a lack of creativity at the moment. there are not that many themes that you can use on a ammo can. i guess i could use the Explosive labels already on it and go with that but i think thats bouring. with what i was planning to do i would get lots more attention in the airports =P (just kidding). the reasoning that went behind my decision to go with a biohazard theme: i really haven't seen any good ones out there. yes there might be a few cases with some biohazard stickers on it and a light here and there but nothing this integrated. i didn't want to do a radioactive theme because i feel that doing that in a similar case as zap would make it look like a cheap attempt at a copy. if there is anything that you guys would like to see suggest them here. maybe i can't think of anything because i HAVE BEEN AWAKE FOR 48 HOURS!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

5. MrBurritoMan

ok here are the parts that i have ordered. one horrible thing has occured though. when i prdered the ammo can on ebay i forgot to tell the seller to upgrade the shipping and now its going to arrive NEXT WEEK!! man i hate waiting. any how here are the parts and where i got them from:

Shuttle FN45 Motherboard
    AMD XP 2500+ Barton CoreATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB
    512MB DDR333(FREE, already had this)
    20GB ATA133 HDD(FREE, already had this)

i got the processor from PCclub because i have had some bad experiances buying processors online. :thumb:

6. MrBurritoMan

Last edited: 9 Jul 2004
  7. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

That is a detailed mock-up, good job.

I look forward to the project.

8. MrBurritoMan

oh man what a day... first i wake up to an email from shuttle. they do not have the motherboard that i want and will wait for me to tell them what to do. ok i was not happy with this. when i clicked the order on their website they said that it was in stock now i have to listen to the guy on the phone tell me that it will be anotehr couple of WEEKS for them to get more?? WTF??? :miffed: :grr: man so i called the guy up and told him to substitute another mobo in its place. it is the FN41. it is the same thing as the other one except it has support for 400Mhz front side bus and it has some Nvidia card built in (i really didn't care as i had already paid for my new Radeon :D). then later on in the day i get a tracking number from shuttle and it says that the Motherboard is going to be delivered on the 14th!!! ok now im not happy. i even paid for 3 day shipping. man what a waste. anyway. the case is going to show up on the 13th, the mobo on the 14th, and my GF is going to show up on the 15th. i really wanted to show her the finished product. IF SHUTTLE HADN"T F'D UP THEN THIS WOULD NOT SEEM SO IMPOSSIBLE. man im really going to be pulling this one out of my butt. we shall see i hope to have everything together and working befor she shows up because she really wants to see this thing, AND SO DO I!! and on top of all that the company that i have ordered the AGP angle bracket card from hasn't sent me a tracking number and it has been a few days. im really getting concerned about this one. well now that i have vented i feel better and am more anticipatory towards this project. man if it all really fits and stuff then this is going to look REALLLLY good. i am so excited!

9. MrBurritoMan

he he i just scored a apple slot loading DVDROM/CDR/CDRW drive on ebay for ~34.00. lets hope it has a IDE interface. :thumb: :rock:

10. MrBurritoMan

ok i just did a dry fit with sketchup and i will have plenty of room for my special mod. :idea:

front
    back

there is plenty of room for mounting brackets and all of that stuff so i will be fine there. :dremel: the only thing that i am concerned about is the LCD tray. i think that i should be fine with some drawer sliders, a modified door hings and a swivel bracket (home made of course). :dremel: other than that you guys see anything im missing besides the DVD/cdrw drive? that is a small laptop drive im not going to worry about. :D

... man i might be crazy but i feel like im the only one replying to this thread. :wallbash: eh crazy works for me... :thumb:

Last edited: 11 Jul 2004
  11. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

man, this is going to be cool

this is going to be a cool computer. my only thing is this: have you any plans for if the mac slot loading drive doesnt work? and do you realize that there are slot loading drives from pc laptops out there? other than the fact of expense, theyd be guaranteed to work once you got the ide adaptor. im rootin for the mac drive to work for you, i do believe its ide based, seeing as the G4 towers can accept lite on cd burners with a special driver. (i know this from my days of being subscribed to macaddict. glad that addiction stopped :D props to maximum pc!) all youll need is a cd burner driver from somewhere and i think itd run. good luck getting it done in time for your girlfriend to see it.

12. MrBurritoMan

thanks, it is actually a iBook CDRW/DVDROM drive so i think that it should work. i ordered a laptop->standard IDE adaptor. yeah i did find the PC slotloading laptop drives but they were 3X as much. the mac stuff is cheap because the PC users are not there to drive up the prices :p. this is going to be one tight squeeze. i am working on the tray to eject the monitor. if i can find 1/16-1/8" thick aluminum i think i will be in business. im going to get the case in less than 48 hours so lets hope for the best :D. laters for now.

13. MrBurritoMan

:waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah:
    i am sorry to report to the subscribers of thie forum that my origonal plans will not work. it is true that the camera adds 10lbs as well as 10". the monitor would have fit if it was a little shorter. however it is just too big. i am going to the army surplus store right now to see if i can find a case that will hold the monitor. i guess 2 cases is better than 1 and no monitor. man this sucks this thing is starting to look more and more like zaps case, crap...

14. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

Come on dude take it out of its casing and build your own.

Edit: the actual lcd in my 15” was 12something by 13.5” maybe a 17 inch wont fit it.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2004
  15. MrBurritoMan

the LCD is out of its case and it is still too big, i guesss liking big LCDs can be a curse :p. anyway i just got back from the surplys store with a suprise. i found a larger ammo can that will fit everything. i can't talk much right now mostly because i so excited and its hard to type. so i will start modding this thing in a little bit....MWA HA HA HA THIS IS GOING TO BE COOL... :rock:

16. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Looking forward to the results.

I actualy was going to fit everything into the case my LCD is in now, but now I use it to haul the cables and stuff. (With the LCD)

17. MrBurritoMan

nice. yeah i just finished what i could for today and i will be starting again tomorrow. i am having a hard time deciding what the front panel should look like. any ideas?? please post them here. i want it to look cool, REALLY cool not just so so. so if there is anything that you guys want to see done or would think would look good please let me know. :naughty: i will try to be creative on my own but i would really like some input on this. thanks a million, :rock:

18. MrBurritoMan

i think that because of the style of the ammo can i am going to try and do a WWII radio looking job. it will have 2 or 3 volt-meters lots of dials and a few buttons here and there. i would like to do a keylock like zap so we shall see what i can find at my local electronics store. i hope i have as good of a day today as i had yesterday.

oh i would like to get this post moved to a project log except i have no pictures yet. i freaking forgot my camera when i went to the shop, :duh:. i will take pictures tomorrow. later all.

19. MrBurritoMan

thanks zap yeah i actually think that i will be using the ammo case that i have (which looks like yours) to haul cables and stuff...man thats kinda funny. each to his own i guess. your PC is still tight.

oh one more question for the god of mod. what kind of batteries did you use in your case and how do they recharge? i would like to do something like that so i can show off when arriving to a lan party. :p

20. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

glad to hear that things will work out for your project