1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding laptop drive...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Chobbler, 13 Jul 2004.

1. Chobbler

Chobbler Running with a Spoon

well i have a laptop drive for my little epia pc thingy (coming to a project log near you soon) and i can't figure out how to mount it!!! it has no screw holes or anything so its making it difficult to place.

anyone got suggestions on how to mount it?? :eek:

2. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Get some heavy duty velcro, that ought to hold it ;)

3. Chobbler

simple and possibly effective...but i need something a little more eligant...it won't look very good in my plexi box if you see a huge chunk of velcro sitting there!!

thanks though

Any other ideas? :eyebrow:

4. stoned penguin

stoned penguin What's a Dremel?

how about a plexi case over the hard drive which you then epoxy it to the case?
    :thumb:

5. Chobbler

*nudge* sorry....its optical drive...DVD ROM....i have the hard drive mounted....good idea though. Need something less permanent..

6. stoned penguin

you can always screw the casing into the plexi case instead of epoxying it

7. Chobbler

i would have screwed it in if it had screw holes...hence me asking how to attach it....unless i missed something there..

8. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

paint on side of a peice of acrilic, cut to the size and shape of the drive (yourchoice of color)...epoxy the clear side to the case and put velcro on the painted side so it will cover ugly stickers and mount it...hows that sound. may i ask were u got your ide converter?

9. Chobbler

These two places i think do them.

http://www.ultim8pc.co.uk/
    http://linitx.com

The guy i bought the Drive off (from the forum) supplied the converter with it.

The thing about the case is you can see all around it and the drive should be suspended so you can see right around it...bar the things holding it...i'm just baffled as to how to connect it all!!

your idea sounds good but a little confusing..

10. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

well let me calrify(spelling) basically make a box for it w/o a bottom or front paint the inside of the box a color (it will be miror finished on the other side) epoxy the top of the box to the case and velcro the drive inside of the new case. is that any better i can break out my 1337 paint skills if nessary :hehe:
    thx for the linki :thumb: just bought my slim combo drive of e-bay for $50 :D

11. Chobbler

i got you now. I don't think that will work the way i have made the case. its fairly compact...not tiny but compact....i am tempted to make a couple of brackets that just pop out from the front hole and hold the drive. your idea is great but because of the space i have used wouldn't work very well.

good thing is i have about 3m of plexi....MUHAHAAHAHA £17 can't complain... :p

12. stoned penguin

yea i meant that you would make a plexi casing for the drive and instead of epoxying the plexi casing to the case you could screw the plexi casing into the case
    :thumb: