1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Psone Screen Mod Finished

Discussion in 'Modding' started by WILD9, 10 Jul 2004.

1. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Well i guess since ive been hanging round here for a couple of years I ought to get round to posting a mod :dremel:

I bought the screen and wired it up long before Bee's article after reading about it on Mp3 car forums but i never did anything with it. seeing Bees article gave me the kick i needed to finish off putting it in my case so i thought id share. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The surround is made from a layer of carbon fibre embedded in vinyl sandwiched between 2 layers of acrylic. The screen runs in vga off of a pci matrox mystique and im currently using it for Samurize stats.

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

looks good, i like the carbon fibre surround possible the most under used mod material ever. how much are those screens n e way???

3. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

i paid about £70 6 months or so ago but i believe their cheaper now.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If you can find one, Comet have been selling them for £19.99. There's been a
    thread about it in the Bargain Bin forum

5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

hmmmm £19.99 u say, might have to get me 1 of those

6. Carbon

Carbon Banned

/me likes carbon :naughty:

7. Goldfish

Goldfish What's a Dremel?

Carbon fiber is great :) Specially when you sandwich it with a aluminium honycomb and put fiberglass on the inside. sorry, I like F1 cars...

Its probably underused because its near impossible to form it without using a massive great pressure oven to bake it in the right shape. Not exactly within the budget of a modder (unless they happen to work for a aeronautical or race-car company, maybe a university if your lucky). But yeah, its a cool material :)
    /me tries not to get OT

Oh yes and the LCD mod is very cool :) I wanna do somthing like that and have some Minority report style-ee stats.

8. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Uhm, how wrong you are. Check several of the projects in these very forums and you will find that carbon fiber is formed easily, just very messily. Can't remember their names, but Y2K Bug comes to mind as one example.

9. lunix_user

lunix_user What's a Dremel?

i think your talking about fiberglass.

fiberglass is what the y2k bug was made out of, and its the messy thing.

10. DigitalReligion

DigitalReligion What's a Dremel?

The y2k bug is definately carbon fiber.

He used a sandwich of carbon fibre with balsa wood in between, and for the rounded surface, an epoxied t-shirt set on a foam mold, then coated in fibre

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well let's not be arguing about this... Y2K bug was carbon fiber. And if you don't like it, you're wrong!! [insert evil cackle here]

Although I'm pretty sure Mashie also covered the fiber in epoxy.

"Balsa wood is extremely weak so it's purpose is to be used as a soft core between two layers of carbon fibre. This was the second attempt to apply a layer of carbon fibre to the balsa wood. The first attempt failed miserably since I miss judged how keen the fibre mat was to stay in the shape it was told to be... So this is the solution, a few drops of 3s gluee here and there and the fabric was forced into the preferred position before the epoxy could be added." (Page 7 of his log on mashie.org)

12. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

nice work with the carbon there. that will probably last longer than the screen. :D

13. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Is that the Logitech Z640 5.1 Dolby surround speaker set, I see there? (the Subwoofer of it ...). How do you like it?

I just bought the set the day before yesterday. Don't have 5.1 audio yet, so i'll have to wait to test that out.

How do you like it so far?

Oh, and the LCD is looking nice !
    Any idea's where they sell them? (cheap).

L

14. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

eBay eBay eBay eBay... :D

15. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

no thats the sub from the z320? not sure tbh its the cheapy 2.1 set its pretty good but far too bass heavy, and thats coming from a bit of a bass addict. ive heard the z640 however and it sounded absolutely superb