1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SJH, 13 Jul 2004.

1. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Evening all,

About a week ago I got my new 9600XT graphics card to replace some crappy GeForce 64MB thingy.

The first thing I did to test it was to install the first game I could find lying around (this happened to be Flight Sim 2002, which ran fine with my last card I think), and while playing around in it, crashing planes into trees etc, the computer completely froze. The display wouldn't do anything, the sound 'froze' as well (repeated on the same 'note' continuously that it was playing when the freeze occurred). It didn't even respond to good old Ctrl+Alt+Del, leaving me to use the failsafe reset button on the front of the case.

The other day it happened again, while having an audio conversation with someone over MSN Messenger. And about 5 minutes ago it happened again, this time while watching a video stream in Winamp.

I think this has *something* to do with either the graphics card or the sound card (Creative Soundblaster 5.1 type thing).

Anyone got any idea what might be happening? The graphics card isn't overclocked in any way so I can't see temperatures being a problem.

Thanks in advance :)

-Sam

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Did you fully remove the Nvdia drivers before installing the new card/drivers?

3. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Yup. Just checked Device Manager too and there's no sign of the card there.

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

hmm strange one then. What PCI slot is the soundcard running in? Can you get an IRQ listing, and see what devices are sharing IRQ's?

5. SJH

SJH Minimodder

How do you do that? ;)

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Goto Control Panel--> System Properties--> Hardware [TAB]--> Device Manager [Button]--> View [TAB]--> Resorces by Type--> Interupt Requests (IRQ)

7. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Here's what I got:

[​IMG]

What am I looking for? :p

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Fisrt thing is you need to install the mobo drivers from the disk that came with it (ethernet, audio and USB drivers have not been installed).

But what you were looking for was 2 or more resources sharing the same IRQ (the numbers down the side), there will always be some sharing, but try not to have your PCI devices sharing the same IRQ, you may have to swap PCI slots to change that.
    But in your case the graphics card and sound card are on seperate IRQ's.

9. GlassX

GlassX What's a Dremel?

Since your not really using the o/b audio, you might as well disable it in the bios.

10. Black

Black What's a Dremel?

is there any problems 'cause then i tested my irq the vga and lancard has same irq

11. Gecko

Gecko What's a Dremel?

Thias happens to me and i cant figure out wahts going on, its not the VGA gbecuase I have a nVidia card. But i do have the same sound card as you, I think it might be that.

12. SJH

SJH Minimodder

*Bump*

Anyone got any ideas? It did it again a minute ago during an MSN Audio convo.