1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Parallel lcd that takes 12v?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Phire, 15 Jul 2004.

1. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

Ok so I recently acquired another HD44780 compatible lcd blah blah...but this one seems to want 12v to power up? Anyone ever seen this before? It is powered with a 3-pin connection so I am thinking either it takes 12v or that Dell used a riser with a +5v supplied 3-pin connection.

pic:

[​IMG]

and another

[​IMG]

can you guess what color my entire system will be?

[​IMG]

side note: got it new for $5 shipped :D

Last edited: 16 Jul 2004
  2. koola

koola Minimodder

That is real strange although it could source power from a motherboard fan power connector.
    I had a SED1520F that needed 12V from a fan power connector. It needed 12V because of the LEDs, they were ultra bright one that hurt your eyes in darkness lol.

Anyways, hope you sort it :thumb:

3. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

The 12V looks like it is for the backlight, and since that cable has 14 wires, I would think that is the case. Pins 1 and 2 on the cable are power for the LCD (1=gnd, 2=+5v) and pin 3 is contrast.

If you disconnect that 3-pin header, than the LCD should still work, but the backlight should go out.

4. Phire

thanks for clearing that up! :D

5. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

I got 5 of them in a box - pulled them out of Dell PE5133's that were going to the dump. they use standard pinouts and work with LCDC - replaced mine with a VFD from farnell.

6. Phire

you ever power up the backlights on them? I had this one on for about 5min and it seriously overheated and starting turning black. Luckily nothing was damaged but I am thinking it only takes 5v for the backlight.....

7. Phire

Orange.....w00t!

[​IMG]