1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Is there a metal Polish that does not contain liquid and does not harm plastic

Discussion in 'Modding' started by couzo, 15 Jul 2004.

1. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

I am looking to polish some brass and aluminium but the metal in next to plastic and has small gaps that I don't want any liquid to go in to the gap as I won't be able to get it out.

My question to you guys is, I am looking for a polish in the UK that does not contain liquid but also does not harm plastic ie no acetone

Any ideas would be great :idea:

2. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

The only thing I can think of offhand is fine carborundum powder and a soft cloth, you could mask off the plastic parts and plug the holes with blutack, or maybe some rubber compound like 'copydex'.

3. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

masking would work on the plastic but the gap between the plasti and the metal is to fine to be plugged with something :wallbash:

4. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

If you can dismantle the object, so the powder falls through, it should be OK.

What are you trying to polish?

5. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

I can't take it apart, it is just a yoyo that has metal rings next to the inner plastic bit that is attached so I cannot take it apart and I don't want anything to got between the tiny gap

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Have you seen Brasso's Duraglit wadding? Tesco sell it, IIRC that's dry. Bit like cotton wool impregnated with polish.

Or can't you clean out the gaps after with a toothbrush?

7. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum What's a Dremel?

or a toopthpick?

My suggestion is Mother's Polish. I don't know if you can get it in the UK, but it will do a great job if you can!

8. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

If you're worried about wax impeding heat transfer if it's a heatsink, the wax should easily break up on contact with quite a few solvents. Try acetone, brake cleaner, hell even soak it in gasoline, that's supposed to work...But to be honest, if it were a heatsink, I doubt the leftover wax would impede heat transfer measurably. I plan on testing this sometime soon.

If it's not a heatsink, why worry about it? A liquid polish with wax helps protect the metal.

9. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

The gap is really to small for anything to fit is and brasso waading does contain liquid that gets in teh gap :waah: I was just wondering if there were any clothes you could buy that did not use liquids? :wallbash:

10. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Well, you could try masking the plastic with tape. Also, why couldn't you just rinse out the liquid or blow it out with some compressed air?

11. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum What's a Dremel?

Try to find FLITZ polishing cloths. They work well...and have no liquids!