1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics LCD wiring question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by thordiddy, 17 Jul 2004.

1. thordiddy

thordiddy What's a Dremel?

I just got my new Seiko L2014B5A in the mail and have begun wiring it. My question is, do I need to use pentometers or can I just wire it directly to the ground and +5V red wire? I dont really care about adjusting contrast and stuff, I just want to get it working for starters. The site for the LCD is http://www.shopeio.com/inventory/details.asp?id=445

and the wiring diagram is http://www.eio.com/lcd2014.htm

thanks for the help.

2. coorz

coorz Miffed

Well at least use resistors if you can't get potmeters. The backlight requires a resistor, otherwise it'll probably blow up.
    And it is quite handy to have potmeters,, otherwise you'd have a hard time getting a decent visual on the display.

3. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

If you dont use the pot, you wont see anything even though the LCD is actually working. Do things correctly with patience.

4. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Greate piece of advice, and I also add, "and always use the right tool".

5. thordiddy

Okay, I wired everything, but I used a 100Ohm resistor instead of the potentiometer. When the lcd gets power, it stays blank and does nothing. Also, if I short pin 3, I get the typical test screen with the alternating lines. Does anyone have any ideas about what I am doing wrong?

EDIT: Also, if I short pin 16, the backlight turns on. Wierd.

6. thordiddy

Okay, I got the LCD to display and everything, but I now have a new problem. When the lcd is running, the characters on the screen move around and become distorted. For example, when using the Winamp 2 Plugin, It will say Blink 182 and then change to Blnk 12 for no apparent reason. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

7. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Sounds like a dodgy joint on one of the data lines. Check all your joints.