1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Memorex keyboard mod - my first

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Grump, 3 Apr 2002.

1. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Hi ever'one,

I just wanted to share my keyboard mod with you. I'm building my first modded computer and have the case going over in another forum. I think the best mods include the keyboard and other peripherals too, so I'm doing my case (Antec SX-635), my new keyboard (shown below) and I have plans to do my monitor and Kensington TurboRing trackball too.

What was important to me in a keyboard is that it have nice features and be an integral part of the whole computer asthetically. The case has curves that I am accenting and I guess it takes on a kinda automotive theme, so the Memorex keyboard works well. A big plus was having black keys. I don't think altering the keys with paint is something I want to do and, since black is one of the colors I'm using on the case (okay, black ain't a color) and the other is metalic green, the black keys were important.

I got a little carried away and started stripping the board before I took this first pic.

[​IMG]

I particularly like that it has those nice flair designs and they are black too. There are also some LEDs that I would like to do something with. I would also really like to run some EL lights in there so the keys light up, but I'm not sure there will be enough room.

After I stripped out all the electronics and keys, I set about masking off the flairs. I wanted to use 2 layers because sanding might rub through one and either scratch the flair or get paint on it.

[​IMG]

You can see that the flairs are 3 dimensional -- they stick up about an 8th of an inch or so. I rubbed the tape (that's blue painters tape) around the edge with my fingernail.

[​IMG]

Then I trimmed off the excess with my trusty exacto knife. The raised flair is actually rubberized, so I had to be careful not to cut into it.

[​IMG]

That's all there was to it. What you can't see is the tape I put over the LED lenses underneath. I didn't want any overspray from the paint to get on them. Notice the bag the keyboard came in is filled with ever'thing 'cept the shell top.

I used my Dremel's wire wheel to scuff up the plastic between all the key holes -- that was a lot of work because there are so many knooks and crannies. I couldn't see getting sandpaper in there, but I do need the paint to adhere. Then I wet sanded with first 400 then 600 sandpaper, blew all the dust off with my compressor and wiped the whole thing down with alcohol to remove the oils from my hands. I have the first coat of black primer on it now.

I'll keep you updated on the progress, if you're interested.

Grump

Last edited: 28 Jul 2005
  2. linear

linear Minimodder

Welcome to the boards.

Wow, it looks like you have done paint jobs a time or two ;).

Looking good, keep us posted...

3. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

OMG another Canuck!! There goes the neighborhood 8P~ J/K Welcome to the board. That is a nice looking k/b right outta the box, where'd you get it? I've seen Memorex ones before but not that model. Can't wait to see pics of it when you're done. You mentioned your case is on another forum? How bout some pics here too. I really like those 630's and I havent seen much done to them.

4. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Well, thanks guys.

I used to build model cars about a million years ago. I won a few contests. Now, besides the computer, I'm slowly working on a '65 T-bird and a '79 Cheve Van -- both custom jobs. I have to admit though, most of the work done on those two is being done by hired help. Fortunately I have a career that allows me to do a lot of hand skill work -- floor coverings. I'm pretty adept at the masking tape. :)

Okay, here's a couple of pics of the case, still in the midst of modifications:

[​IMG]

The drive cages, brackets and PCI slot blanks are at the platers now (nickel plating). I have ordered something that will allow me to make the curved grill work on the lower bezzel, the lever part of the handle and the small buttons look like chrome. Can you see an automotive theme developing here?

Hack, slash and primer:

[​IMG]

I have smoke tinted tempered glass -- yep, real glass -- coming. I wanted the handle to look like it was floating in the glass. I ordered another door so I can flip it over and put it on the other side. You prob'ly think there's nothing to see over there -- there will be, I promise.

I have never done anything like this before and, I'll tell you, I'm having a lot of fun. I can't even concentrate on work -- good thing I'm the boss, hu. This is a great forum and I'm very happy to share my new hobby here.

Now, what the heck is a Canuck? Is that some derogatory term for Californians that a guy like me who lives in the Sierra-Nevadas (80 mi. from Reno) wouldn't know about? Hey, we been trying to secede from the state for years (who would want to be associated with people who think San Francisco is in Northern CA - we'll show you Northern California). :sigh:

Grump

5. PC4LIFE

PC4LIFE What's a Dremel?

How far are you from Sacramento Grump ?

6. ikonis

ikonis What's a Dremel?

/me beats up unloaded... the CA isnt canada...

7. UnLoadeD

doh! i thought it meant canada! my bad.
    Looks like ya got a lot going on with that mod. I'm curious to see the door panel when done. Its a good thing that case is built so sturdy, ya didnt leave much of the door 8) Keep us posted as ya go along.

8. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Go easy on him, Ikonis, Unloaded musta parked on a dead brain cell. :worried:

PC4Life, it's about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive to Sac from here. Down the Feather River Canyon, past Oroville and Marysville and that long straight drive into the heat. An old HS buddy lives down there. I should feign a visit with him just to go to my first LAN party. Like bars have age limits, LAN parties prob'ly have age limitations. I could get a fake ID, but I don't think I can hide the wrinkles.:lol:

I been tryin' to find out if they have LAN parties in Reno, but I think there's a conspiricy to keep that kinda information away from me.

Say, isn't there a COMDEX in Sac?

Grump -- I should get out more

9. Teivos

Teivos What's a Dremel?

Grump, I got that exact same case...
    I am shure that you are planning to put a window on the side pannel... (A real modder has a window or 2 on his case) :)
    Check out what I did with mine for a window mod:
    [​IMG]
    What I did was I used a rubber molding around the side of the handle to make it look a bit better... I had to do some cutting on the glass but it turned out good...

Hey, it a thought! :)

Happy Moddin' !

10. Kronus

Kronus What's a Dremel?

must admit.. i love the idea of using glass... don't have to worry about scratches.. just smashes

11. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Teivos, that looks good. What are the 2 rivets doing there, holding the glass on?

My first reason for using real glass was quality, but yeah, Kronus, the scratch resistance of glass was important. I knew trying to keep it clean would sooner or later create some fine scratches. Tempered glass ain't all that easy to break either, but you do have to be more careful than with plexi.

Grump

12. Kronus

Kronus What's a Dremel?

true . thats the type of glass they use in fridges ...stayes really cold .. so your not just thinking of looks. but also cooling

13. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Oh yeah, yeah, right. That too.

:worried:

14. UnLoadeD

hey grump, i was wondering if ya saw the new updates to that case ya have:
    http://www.antec-inc.com/product/cases/plus660.html
    I was checking one out at a local shop, the bezel get a bit of a facelift, front usb/firewire, side fan, and a kinda cheesy filter inside the bezel, the best feature seems to be the new psu's in em, it does look nice tho. Also you never told me where ya got that keyboard, I'm needing a new one, and that one looks pretty nice, is the original color kinda silver/gray? I cant really tell in the pics. One more thing, I saw ya post over at pheaton, maybe you should start your own thread in the work logs forum there, I'd like to follow along with ya as ya go. Still waiting for em to get a worklog forum here (hint hint!!!!)

peace,
    UnLoadeD

Last edited: 5 Apr 2002
  15. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Sorry, Unloaded, I didn't mean to ignore ya. :p I got the keyboard at Circuit City, of all places. There are several places like Office Depot, Office Max, CompUSA, Best Buy, etc, but I just couldn't find a keyboard that fit the style and had the features. This was just a fluke. I thought they didn't sell anything but systems complete. I went in to look at a new TV and stopped at the computer area. The guy pointed me to the back corner of the store and there it was.

I hadn't thought of doing the work log thing. I am just a n00b. If it warrants it, the moderator will prob'ly move it. But I appreciate your kind words.

Grump

16. unlucky2LUCKY

unlucky2LUCKY What's a Dremel?

wow, i'm extremely inspired by the steps your taking to modding your case... very professional... very nice... good work! :dude:

17. neuro

neuro What's a Dremel?

a profectionist :D

welcome grump!

18. nikon

nikon What's a Dremel?

nice I got the same case...my biggest mod is a blue scanner light that goes on with ther HD:dude: its kinda cool:D

19. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Thanks for the comps, you guys, but don't let me get a big head. :p

The weather cleared up and I was able to get some work done today. The spray paint I picked (a custom color in 2 shades mixed by a paint store in Reno) looks like a good choice. I wasn't sure how it would look because all I had to go by were little paper chips and a sloppily sprayed cap.

[​IMG]
    I got the primer on several days ago and did the final sanding today. There is 3 coats of primer and I still managed to sand down to the original finish -- the light area in front. I didn't want to wait a few more days for more primer to cure, so I went for it.

[​IMG]
    The top pic is after the first coat. I sprayed light so it wouldn't run -- sanding this thing is a ... you know. The second pic is after the 3rd coat and the last pic is after coat #5. I ended up putting on one more coat for a total of 6 color coats. I wanted a deep look and think I got it.

[​IMG]

I brought it inside the garage/shop to let it dry. There's just too much traffic and a dirt driveway just looking to ruin my paint job. By the way, that engine block in the background is gonna be a high performance 428 for my '65 T-bird. Hell, I'll try anything.

[​IMG]

I wish I could take a good enough picture, but I'm very happy with the way the keyboard is turning out. I will wait a few more days and then apply several coats of clear. I couldn't sand between the metallic coats or it would ruin the finish, but I will be able to sand between the clear coats. I'll give it 3 good coats, maybe 4 and then use rubbing compound and polish to get that deep clear metallic finish that'll just about blind ya.

Oh yeah, I ain't leavin' out no details:

[​IMG]

I got a coat of primer on right after this pic. I masked up the bottom and the buttons. The bottom is dark blue and I'm gonna leave it that way. The buttons are gonna be coated with a chrome film -- if it ever comes in.

Busy day. :D

20. UnLoadeD

Nice update, keep em coming 8)
    The weather is starting to get better here too. I got a feeling lotta painting gonna be going on soon.