1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lola's Pink Case - UPDATED 29/07

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by McWarren, 19 Jul 2004.

1. McWarren

McWarren What's a Dremel?

Updated Thursday 22nd July
    This is my work log detailing the custom case I'm building for my girlfriend Laura.

It's my goal to make her a case that looks like this:

[​IMG]

Based on her handbag, that looks like this:

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------

Saturday 19th June - Sanding

Gave the side panel and two parts of the front an initial smoothing with my Mouse. Removed the raised areas surrounding the grip depressions in the side panels, the raised area around the power switch, and the embossed icons next to the reset switch and LEDs.

Sunday 20th June - Body filler

Started using Halford's plastic bumper filler to fill in -

The grip depressions and grating on the side panel. Holes left by power and reset switches and grating on front panel. Also filled in two depressions down each side of the front panel.

Monday 21st June - Pics

Took some pictures of progress so far. Looking good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuesday 6th July - More filling, more sanding

All I've been doing since the last update is getting outside to work on the case when I get the chance. Nothing major, just filling and sanding the panels. One of the sides is finished, and I'm waiting to start priming it. My air compressor turned up, which means I'll be able to do a real quality paint-job, I've just got to buy a good paint gun to go with it. That will probably be some time next week when I get back from Ireland.

Saturday 17th July - Paint guns are fun!

Got my paint gun today! Gave the top and front panels a good covering with primer. The top looks absolutely amazing!

I sprayed the thing, gave it a quick going-over with 1200 grit wet-and-dry, and it's already so smooth that it's got a slight reflection! Thats the first time I've seen primer do that.

The front also looks fantastic! No more lines, everything's sleek and smooth. The only holes in the front are for the Optical and Floppy drives. Unfortunately, there are a number of scratches that I must've missed, and some teeny imperfections the filler didn't quite, erm, fill...

Monday 19th July - More sanding

I used to think that there was a different reason for my right arm being twice the size of my left. But it's quite clear that it's from all the sanding I do.

One side panel is *totally* smooth. Got rid of all the pimply finish that existed before, as well as the nasty big scratches from the 80 grit sand paper I used to flatten the filler.

Also re-sanded the front panel. The scratches I found on saturday should be filled by the primer I can't get out. Also gave it another coat of filler. Took ages to flatted the excess, because I could only use 240 grit wet-and-dry, to avoid scratches again.

Just waiting to go down to Halfords, to get the primer and custom mixed paints.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2004
  2. sik wit it

sik wit it What's a Dremel?

looks good, but the key is going to be the paint

you should use bright colors of pink and then add a few coats of gloss at the end

3. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Pink :worried: :worried: :worried:

Interesting to do some "female" inspired cases on the forums... :D

4. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

did she fors you to make this case?
    or pursueded? (wild night)
    or are you just that kind of boyfriend that gives your gf a present?

5. H2O-G33K

H2O-G33K What's a Dremel?

tbh, I think that covers 100% of guys in a relationship.. at least the ones planning to stay that way ;) Hmmm, I don't think my missus would appreciate it all that much - ho hum :sigh:

6. McWarren

Yea the goal is to make what was once a crappy, generic plastic case into something smooth and sleek. I want to be able to examine every inch of the surface with a magnifying glass and not be able to find any imperfections.

So the paint will be _very_ important :S

A few coats of light pink, and white stripe down the offset-center, and then a generous application of clear cloat. All topped off with rubbing compound and car polish.

Should look the nuts when it's done :)

7. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

You do know the best way will be to do your basecoat in white, then tape off your "stripe" and paint pink (after the white has cured for a while). :thumb:

8. Abadon

Abadon What's a Dremel?

that's more a pimp case, air brush some fuzzy dice on the side, and gold plate the drive bezels and it'll be sick

9. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

hehe cool idea :thumb:

10. drinn

drinn What's a Dremel?

I think that this case will bring more girls besides computer, if some kind of company will market this. :D

And.. Barbie decoration to the roof. ;)

11. DeeTee

DeeTee What's a Dremel?

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Or work in a strip of pink leather. If done well, it can look great. Nice design theme, in any case.

13. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

<humming>

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl
    with yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there
    she would merengue and do the cha-cha
    and while she tried to be a star
    Tony always tended bar
    across the crowded floor, they worked from 8 til 4
    they were young and they had each other
    who could ask for more?​

</humming>

Sorry, got it stuck in my head. :rock:

Showing my age to. :grr:

14. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Let's just hope our modders girl isn't the same type of girl as 'lola'!! :D

(Don't feel bad, I've been singing that song since I saw the thread too!)

15. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

glad i don't know the song, mmm not my pick for color but it's for you GF so it's alright!!!. i think you should make the front all nice and smooth then paint it a little then clear coat it like a thousad time you it's a mirror type shine, but thats just my thoughts, oh and maybee put a little picture holder on/in the case, cause i know most girls like to have pictures of people, just my thoughts

16. Brew

Brew What's a Dremel?

So rarely see any pinko cases, that looks like it will be pretty sweet when its done :D good work. Id have to agree with the guys above though, some pink leather or fabrics could be cool on this one.

If you can find a way to DIY some pink LED fans that would be the big pimpin.

Although, ill just shut up now since I have no idea how far your taking this mod :D

Did you think of putting an Epia in her handbag instead? then she would be mobile :thumb:

Brew

17. McWarren

Thanks for the all positive feedback :)

In true Nexxo style, he comes in on the post and proposes a brilliant idea that I would never have thought of. Some kind of leather would be really cool, and I've got a few ideas on how I could fit it into the mod. However, I really want to get the case done in time for the start of our next year at Uni, so I'll have to give it a miss for now.

Thursday 22nd July - Pics

I've finally managed to secure a digital camera that I can use for the rest of the summer holidays! Unfortunately I used up what little primer I had left doing the top panel, and I still haven't gone down to Halfords to get some more.

To spend my time doing something constructive, I busted out the tin snips on the crappy punched-metal blowholes on the back of the chassis. That was the only bit of prep work to do on the chassis, so that can hopefully go to the Powder Coating place real soon. It may not be leather, but a scratch-proof Pink chassis will still kick it :)

Anyway, here are some up to date pics:

Front Panel:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shiny primered top panel:
    [​IMG]

Nice flat side panel:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chassis:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Jul 2004
  18. McWarren

Wednesday 28th - Stephen King's The Priming

All of the panels are now fully flattened and primed! All that remains to be done is get the pink paint mixed up and get the chassis back from the powder coaters' place - that's taking longer than I expected. Apparently, they don't keep pink powder in stock, and had to order it in especially, which I think is ridiculous :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]