1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling highest point in a w/c system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yellowpez, 20 Jul 2004.

1. Yellowpez

Yellowpez What's a Dremel?

I am in the process of buying my parts for a w/c setup. I'm pretty much down to the radiator and size of it.

My concerns.

1. Is it imperative to have the res or f&b kit at the highest point in the setup?

2. I see people with a 120 rad in the top of cases. Do you people that take this route not have ANY problems with traped air in the rad at all?

3. Would having the rad and res/f&b at the top of the case help take care of air problems?

4. Are the leakage problems of the bay res a thing of the past for the most part?

I'm basically wondering if a 120 rad will be ok in the top of my case. With a res or f&b kit sitting in the very top 5.25 bay of my case. Which would pretty much put the two parts at the same level in the case.

System will contain cpu, gpu, and chipset blocks. The Swiftec MCP600 pump. And all will be 3/8 ID tubing.

Thanks Fellas.

2. sik wit it

sik wit it What's a Dremel?

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'm hardly an expert... but:

1. Is it imperative to have the res or f&b kit at the highest point in the setup?
    No, but it makes bleeding the system much faster/easier.

2. I see people with a 120 rad in the top of cases. Do you people that take this route not have ANY problems with traped air in the rad at all?
    I haven't heard of it being a big problem. Just tip the case around a bit when you're bleeding the system and it helps a lot.

3. Would having the rad and res/f&b at the top of the case help take care of air problems?
    The res at the top should only help bleeding it.

4. Are the leakage problems of the bay res a thing of the past for the most part?
    Not that I've heard of. Just make sure you teflon tape or whatever to hold in the fittings.

I'm basically wondering if a 120 rad will be ok in the top of my case. With a res or f&b kit sitting in the very top 5.25 bay of my case. Which would pretty much put the two parts at the same level in the case.

Plenty of people do that, I'm sure it'll be fine.

System will contain cpu, gpu, and chipset blocks. The Swiftec MCP600 pump. And all will be 3/8 ID tubing.
    22600 kit and GPU/NB blocks? Regardless, it should be a decent setup.

4. sik wit it

sik wit it What's a Dremel?

i would also like to put a 120mm res near the top of my case, it will be even with the res, but I'm wondering if this causes a problem...does the res have to be higher or just one of the highest?

5. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

i have mine along the top of my case with no problems but mine was designed for looks so i dont get the absolute best temps.
    some helpfull advice from someone with 112 systems built and no leaks...

fill bleed and leak test your system OUTSIDE of your case for 12 hours , then install it once Already fullly bled . THEN leak test again for 24+ hours.

6. at_mosby

at_mosby What's a Dremel?

really, the highest point in the case...

What an annoying day.

A while ago, I'd picked up a Global Win Silent Stream kit. I've heard bad things about them, but never specifics.

Today I learned some specifics.

1) fill tube is positioned lower than the pump tubes. Lots and lots of air collected in the pump. Arrg. Temp climbs high.

2) after #1 was solved, pump would run for about 5 minutes before halting.

Switched back to a air cooler, and I'm running about the same temp as when the water cooler worked. Humm.

All is not lost, I've real water cooling parts on the way, and I'll build a real water cooled system.

AT

Tags: