1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Antec Sonata Mod (Project Serenity)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kurtis, 9 Apr 2004.

1. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

I am going to sand and polish the gloss black in the afternoon. Then we can see which he likes more. I will probably be using the gloss black on my mod if it turns out good.

I think the metallic black turned out quite nice. I never really cared for paint with glittery metal flakes and what-not, but this was decent.

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

My initial thoughts from looking at this picture was, "Woah! Awesome LED mod!"

That's what it looks like to me, anyway :)

Still looks good :thumb:

3. Kurtis

Kurtis What's a Dremel?

okay well i wetsanded the black gloss paint with 2000 grit sandpaper, did the rubbing and polishing compounds, and here is the result:

[​IMG]

black gloss reflection:

[​IMG]

metallic black reflection:

[​IMG]

Well, I like the metallic paint more, so I think I will probably be painting the whole casw with that. The black gloss just also shows more imperfections than the metallic, but overall im pleased with how it came out.

Now I know, Dupli-Color is Krylon's daddy :D

Let me know what ya'll think about the paint...

4. LucSkyywalker

LucSkyywalker What's a Dremel?

I have one of the oldest Krispy Kremes in the nation within a 2 minute walk from my house! Normal Day="MMMM Smell them fresh HOT donuts!!!" :jawdrop:
    Hungover Day="Oh god, those donuts STINK!!!" :waah:

Anyway....Great Logo, even better Mod!!! :D

5. Kurtis

Kurtis What's a Dremel?

Well, last night and today I worked on sleeving the PSU wires and switching out standard connectors with uv blue ones... didn't finish completely but im about 60% done...

Also, today I finished up (hopefully) the front of the case's bondo duct work... I primed it and have already put a few coats of metallic black dupli-color on it.

I also sanded down the shell of the case and have done a couple coats on it already. I just wetsanded it a little while ago with 1000 then 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth it out before doing the final coat(s).

I may have some exciting pictures later tonight :D stay tuned...

6. Kurtis

Kurtis What's a Dremel?

well, since the front of the case didn't come out perfectly (you can see imperfections in the paint from my bondo work), i sanded it back down, and i just finished putting a bunch of bondo on it... instead of just doing it directly around the duct, this time i made it cover pretty much the whole front, so i have plenty of surface area to smooth out over... this should cover up the imperfections, but we'll see how it comes out... after it sets i will sand it down, wash it, dry it, and then put another layer of bondo on, and then wash and dry again... if it looks good at that point, i will prime it again.

if the front looks perfect primed, i will paint it and then wait 48 hours, then wetsand, rubbing compound, and polish...

so much for getting it done this weekend, but this mod is nearing completion...

7. Nevah

Nevah What's a Dremel?

hey kurtis !

Can u plz give me a link on where to buy that blue UV fan u have in the front :hehe:

and great work on the sonata :)

8. Kurtis

Kurtis What's a Dremel?

think i got it from www.case-mod.com

just search for "120mm uv blue fan" on google

9. Shinymod

Shinymod What's a Dremel?

i tip my hat to you mate, i've been looking at sonatas as maybe a basis for my new project. i actually decided they were too small... but i shall be intrigued to see how you get on with getting the watercooling in there. love the paintjobs, and the big front intake :D

10. Kurtis

Kurtis What's a Dremel?

Just wanted to let you guys know I have a part-time job now that takes a LOT of my time... I work from like 6AM-6-7PM. Monday and Tuesday this week I have off, so I will try to do some updates then. :)

11. Sol Badguy

Sol Badguy What's a Dremel?

do u plan on filling in the dreadful ANTEC letter on the sides of the case?

12. Kurtis

Kurtis What's a Dremel?

no, in my very first post i talk about my plans for the mod, including leaving the holes, covering them with acrylic, and putting meteor lights behind the acrylic for a cool lighting effect. I even have pictures early in the worklog.

13. Kurtis

Kurtis What's a Dremel?

just a quick update... I've been very busy but today I managed to sand the case a little and paint a little more... hopefully i won't need to paint anymore once this dries, but we'll see...

if it doesn't need anymore painting/sanding, in 48 hours I will do the clearcoat

I also decided today that on the inner cage part (where cd drives mount, mobo mounts, etc...) I will paint using truck bed liner like what Brian used in part of his mod...

I'll keep you all updated as I work more on the mod. Thanks for your patience :)

14. apollyon

apollyon What's a Dremel?

love what your doing with this, i'm a fellow pirate lover (have a skull and crossbones on my belt, several fan grills on my case, and plans for a skull and crossbones tattoo :D ) That cutout looks amazing, way more patience then i could ever devote to it. Can't wait to see the end of this!

15. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

Wrong thread bud :p

You're looking for "Pirate Sonata"

16. Kurtis

Kurtis What's a Dremel?

Okay sorry again for the delays, family visiting, working alot, etc...

But with that said, today I was able to finally get my hands on some Dupli-Color ClearCoat, and I ClearCoated the inside of the door. So far it looks good, but I'll have to wait 48 hours for it to cure so I can sand the clea coats flat and then buff / polish.

I also sanded down the inner shell of the case because I decided to use the same Dupli-Color truck bed coating spray paint stuff that Brian found to use for part of his mod. I then sprayed off the debris, dried the inner shell, waited a while, and then sprayed the stuff on there. I ate dinner, and then put a 2nd coat of the stuff on... 2 coats of this should be plenty i think.

Now that I have made some progress, I must wait 48 hours for the paint to fully dry etc. I will be out of town again Wed-Fri. so I will not be able to work on the mod more until Saturday at the earliest. I'm supposed to have Sat. and Sun. off from work, but Pepsi may call me in this weekend if they need extra help, so we'll see how it goes.

17. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Lookin good man, Bondo can be a real pain in the rear. I'm havin a terrible time getting it smooth on my mod (which will have a thread as soon as I take more pictures). I like the black, thats what mine used to be, then I changed my mind to white for some odd reason. The black is good, shows a lot of dust though, and any outside scratches show up like they have a freakin spotlight on them.

By the way, where in Texas are you guys? I'm up by Dallas.

18. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Plano here.... Texas REPRESENT!!!!!!

:hehe: :hehe:

You coming to the TXGF Dallas LAN party?

19. Kurtis

Kurtis What's a Dremel?

San Antonio, TX

As for the black showing scratches, it won't be a problem really I don't think. The paint I am using is a metallic black and it semi-hides really tiny imperfections and stuff that a glossy black would show more. It will still show scratches if i scratch it, but I don't plan to scratch it :D Well, not before I take some really pretty pics at least. :)

20. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

k, since you an SA dude, you need to high tail it to Austin and hop into the TXGF Austin event happening this weekend!

Scoot! Git... Go awn....GIT!!!

;)

Rightious case bro... been reading this thread for a good, long while.
    Loving the work, and I really dig the pirates!!!! (Oh... whooops, wrong thread!)

Totally kidding....

The backlit Antec logo on the side is a thing of beauty in my book!
    :thumb: