1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Acrylic cutting question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jase4772, 23 Jul 2004.

1. jase4772

jase4772 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Had a search through the forums but couldn't find an answer to this one. I'm wanting to get some 1/4" acrylic sheeting and have it pre cut to certain sizes to get a professional finish, but not having much luck finding anyone in the Doncaster area to do this. So I need to know what the best method of cutting it myself will be. Unless someone knows a place I can order/collect it from within a decent radius of Donny.

Many thanks.

Jase

2. ~Nitro

~Nitro What's a Dremel?

doncaster melbourne australia?
    doncaster some othe country?

3. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

4. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

excellent work Mr Grump.

For acrylic that thick, if you need straight cuts, I like using the table saw with a good/sharp toothy blade (60 teeth on 10" blade) a router works very well too. You can also use a jigsaw with an acrylic cutting blade or metal cutting blade for straight and curved cuts. You can also use a dremel at low speed but that's my last resort suggestion.

5. mymainoffender21

mymainoffender21 What's a Dremel?

Its not hard to get a good finish with that thick of plexi. You wont have to worry much about cracing, and u can just had file the sides down.

6. jase4772

jase4772 What's a Dremel?

Thanks people.

7. Brandon_Bep

Brandon_Bep What's a Dremel?

I would say use a scroll saw, but only if it is a higher end model. However you cut it, you will have better luck if you run a piece of masking tape along where you want to cute, draw your line on that and cut it in half.