1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alien ware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whitlog, 26 Jul 2004.

1. Whitlog

Whitlog What's a Dremel?

Hello
    iam thinking of buying a top end gaming Pc.

and i have been looking at the Pcs at alien ware,i was just wondering are they worth the money or can you buy some that are better or similar anywhere else.

Thanks

2. Enzo04

Enzo04 Banned

What model do you have in mind?, you should compare the parts to a computer you can build yourself, would you build your own computer?
    i know the parts cost alot of money where you live but it should still be cheaper by parts then by whole.. hopefullly,
    if you do get an Alienware the Intel is the only one with DDR2 and PCI-Express or if you want an 64-bit solution go with AMD.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Build it yourself.

Moving to hardware.

4. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

I can pretty much guarantee that most people here (and at other tech communities) will all tell you the same thing. Alienware are overpriced and you can build a better system for cheaper.

Building a pc is very easy, if you can build a lego house you can build a pc, just take your time, read alot and ask around here if you get stuck.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Another vote here for self build.
    Alienware are overpriced and you can build the same or better for less.

6. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

The Elite

now, this does deppend on your budget, but have a look here www.savrow.com

They do all the fidley modding for you, comes at a price though

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Savrow have my vote.

This hand chromed one took my eye @ i17, had a bit of a chat to the guy at the stall, knew what he was talking about.

[​IMG]

8. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Well if your budget can take it and you can wait that long, what about the dual nvidia 6800 in sli config on a dual pci-e motherboard and a nice athlon 64 3800+ :)

[edit] i do like the savrow cases tho ... mine is starting to look redundant ;) [/edit]

9. calnen

calnen moo!!

There are a few companies around that offer 'personal supercomputers' or the like.. To be perfectly honest, if you shop around and spend £1500 or so on parts for a self-build, it'll be about as good as you can get. Any money over that might as well be spent on a new room and a wall-size projector to use as a monitor, or just dual 20" TFTs. There comes a point at which you just wont notice the difference except in benchmarks. (eg/ between a P4EE at 3.4 and a P4EE vapochilled to 4.0, for an extra £350.)

My 2p.

10. Whitlog

Whitlog What's a Dremel?

first thankyou for all the replys to my question.

I would like to build my own but i lack the knowldge to do so .so where are the best places to learn about pc hardware,i dont want to just learn how to build a pc as in that goes there and that goes there, i want to understand what am putting in and etc as then i will be able to build better Pcs .

i do get Pc magz but alot of the time when reading them i dont fully understand what am reading about.i think somtimes its a case of i have run before walked

are there any good websites that i can use and maybe other forums as well to get more info

any ino on this will be very greatful

Thankyou

11. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

hmm, tbh mate, your best bet is to spend a few days trawlign through all the other similar threads on here. If you can't find the answer to a question on here then i'd be damn surprised.

Maybe it would be good if someone could do an indepth "total-noob" guide to building a pc (no offence intended). I'd do it myself (as a previous "total-noob" I think i could talk on the same wavelength as current "total-noobs") but I don't have a digital camera I'm afraid.

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

ive built a few, well 3, lol its not difficult if ur not gonna do overclocking or modding the case, if ur doin it by the book its simple, if, of course, ur not its a bit trickier but its ur first go so do it simple

13. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

alienware = overpriced

tbh i'd build myself, cheaper and u get to hand pick the parts :)

14. Whitlog

Whitlog What's a Dremel?

ok ill look into building one myself,any good places on the web in the UK where i can buy good price parts?

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

16. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I built my PC as a total n00b. Well not quite, I knew the basics and stuff, it's a lot easier than most people think. You just need confidence.

The only thing you could do wrong would be to mount the CPU/Heatsink wrongly. And there are plenty of guides around - especially if it's a stock fan it will come with instructions that will easily suffice.

As other people have said - it's hard to get wrong as it's just like LEGO™

17. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

you do know that all the bits inside a PC only go in one way and the power and IDE cables have to go red to red.simple. :thumb:

18. iMod

iMod What's a Dremel?

dont buy alienware, i priced everything from AW @ newegg.com and u can build 2 exact same systems for the price of 1 AW, and still have a few pennies left over, only thing diff is case

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Pretty much the same for me. It's so much easier than people think. In fact, if putting it together is harder than selecting the components, you're doing something wrong (or got a POS case where stuff doesn't like up, or maybe watercooling which takes a good amount of setup).

My first PC building experience so to speak was taking apart my old dell quite thoroughly (at 4AM mind you!) and putting it back together. Strangely, they don't even use thermal compound! (At least mine didn't, but it had this wierd tin foil type of pad thing on the bottom of the heatsink). I have great setups that I could say out to you in my sleep for both P4 and AMD 32bit (not too familiar with A64 mobos) and really can give you a good idea of a system for any budget off the top of my head. I'll probably be building my third personal system on thursday (an EPIA mini this time) and go mod crazy next month. Yes, it's quite sad, I mean I even understand how ABIT does their motherboard model numbers. That dell work was all of a year ago, just for reference on how quick some people get this stuff set up.

As a final note, I figured out overclocking with some advice from others almost as quickly as building a system.

Wow, that savrow case is just too shiny. That vapochill case next to it makes me happy though... frozen stuff :)

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Everything these days is colour-coded and keyed so you cant exactly go wrong. Not like it used to be..

/gets out pipe and sits in worn "old mans chair" thinking about the "good ol' days"