1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Unreal Engine 3 screenshots

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Jul 2004.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

For those who haven't seen these yet... can I be the first to say "nevermind Doom 3, when's this coming out!?!?"

[​IMG]

Find more goodness over here!

2. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

Wow that is nice...although I think the chains on the model don't look up to par with the rest of it. Like Epic said, today's best will be the minimum specs for it. ( :duh: ) Oh, and the link doesn't seem to be working for me...anyone else?

3. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

The linky works fine for me...

It does look exceptional, but the only people that are going to be able to view these kinds of graphics in a playable situation (i.e. at more than 1fps) are those who can splash out more than a grand on top of the range hardware. It's simply not going to be available to those with mid-range computers.... :sigh:

4. Enzo04

Enzo04 Banned

The monsters remind me of Doom
    Maybe Epic and the crew are trying to make a game to counter Doom3?

5. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

The level of detail in that cathedral like facade is truly amazing. I can't begin to imagine though what kind of expensive-ass hardware it's going to take to run that...

6. kaneso

kaneso What's a Dremel?

i heard that it will come out on xbox 2 1st sadly. can anyone confirm?

7. Abadon

Abadon What's a Dremel?

aren't mostly of epic products (if not all of them) optimised for nvidia chipsets?
    and xbox 2 is leaving nvidia for ati (not ati officially but a subsidiary using ati tech) for their graphics proc

8. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Ok, I think this warrants my second usage for this smiley: :jawdrop:

There I was playing FarCry thinking, 'Damn these graphics are good. I'd like to see them improve on this'... I can see my self walking around those levels for hours just fascinated at the level of detail in the architecture and lighting. It's better than real life! :geek::)

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Holy jesus on a stick they look fantastic. Agree about the chains though - they look crappy :blah: :cooldude:

10. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

WOW! I'm a big fan of the Unreal series. Quake was just never my thing, or HL for that matter. :D

Having attempted to make a custom player model for UT, I can appreciate what goes into sucessfully modeling something like that. Yes, the chains look like they're just a 2D image mapped onto a ploygonal surface (which is all they are anyway) but the real question for me is: are you really going to notice that when he comes leaping out at you from the darkness and rends "you" limb from limb? Perhaps after your adrenaline goes back down. :p Also keep in mind that that shot may have been rendered real time by current hardware (which generally doesn't have realtime bumpmapping with mutiple light sources on an animated 3D poly surface) instead of the projected hardware and/or the commercial release of the actual game engine.

Bottom line for me is: GOTTA GET IT!

11. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

It looks like the chains were modeled individually in a detailed model and then those detailed models were used to figure the lighting so that the chains could be mapped onto a less detailed playable model..... Looking closer at the mouth and area around the teeth, it looks kinda flat around that region too. So they are probably using something like transparency mapping to make it look as though the moouth is actually modeled. which maks me think that that is pretty clsoe t how characters will look ingame, rather than just prerendered concept art.

sexy.

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

:jawdrop:
    two words: holy crap
    that's just amazing. This should really make not only games but CGI movies (think shreck, toy story and final fantasy: TSW and AC) just SO much more realistic. Well not so much the engine but the fact that our technology lets us render stuff from that engine not only in realtime but at a smooth framerate.
    Indeed, the next time you call technology slow, just analyze it for a second. My 4MHz palm pilot isn't the best show of technology by any means, but 4 million cycles per second isn't something to cough at, it's still quite fast. Of course that 4mhz is still better than my 2.2ghz celeron for the single fact that it's not windows based and as such doesn't crash. :hehe: :waah:

By all means I'm going on a tangent as I so often do :duh: But yeah, those screenies are absolutely astounding. Of course my guess is that they were taken at 1600x1200 max AA/AF, but regardless, WOW!

13. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

did someone say more than a grand for a comp? hmmm 2 should see me through then, god i thought i was gonna have to pay at least that to make a kick ass one!! u know this vapochill light speed thingy, is it any good, the review says so, but i wanted to know other opinions!

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thing is, doom 3 is out next week, Unreal 3 will be out.. middle of next year earliest?

It does look very nice indeed - didnt they have a new rendering technology? I forget. Hopefully itll be better than Unreal 2. :rolleyes:

15. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

:waah: There too good! thats just warped my fragile little mind.

16. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Out in 2006 according to that article.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well its not even worth comparing to D3 :rolleyes:

18. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

That looks amazing, I wouldn't worry about hardware requirements as by the time a Unreal3 engine game is out the current top of the line cards will only offer the performance of midrange priced cards or less in the future.

19. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

How much more would the chains take to look real in terms of graphic usage and time for the graphic monkeys to make them?

but defintely a :jawdrop:

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

****!

Wait, can't say that...

**********************!

that either...

Well, since I can't say any of that about those screenshots...

Tags: Add Tags