1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KVM issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Funkyideas, 26 Jul 2004.

1. Funkyideas

Funkyideas What's a Dremel?

I have a Logitech de Novo, the funky bluetooth keyboard and mouse, I am wanting to run two work stations, one my PC, and the other a SUSE Linux server of the same keyboard, mouse and monitor, but I can't figure out what KVM to get does anyone have any ideas.

Help please. :wallbash:

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

belkin make damn good kvms, but if you dont want to spend that much money linksys and other peopel make budget ones, but the video signal looks crap on good monitors!

3. Shaolyen

Shaolyen Minimodder

I've got the same keyboard, and I've wanted to do the same thing with my two PCs. (Sick of using two keyboards and mice.) Dual source monitor, so no problem there. ;)

Thing is, the keyboard is PS2, the mouse is USB - and because it all goes through a Bluetooth hub there's pairing to think of. Presumably each PC will have a unique pairing ID, won't that cause problems when switching?

4. Funkyideas

No to sure

I was initially going to say NO, but after some thought it may do. Though we only need a USB, as I understood the PS2 socket is only for using the Keyboard in DOS / Boot . As I didn't connect it to start with and the keyboard worked fine in Windows.

As far as the pairing thing goes might not matter too much to me as I will be using the keyboard in Linux on my second PC.

The KVM I had been looking at was the Belkin Soho Pro Series, though I can't decide as to whether it do what I need it to do. :wallbash:

5. Funkyideas

Saying that though does anyone know if there is a support e-mail that we could ask Belkin to investigate the possibility ? :confused:

6. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

My Linksys Proconnect has excellent monitor cable quality, 1920x1440@85Hz looks perfect. Problem with it is that you only get 74Hz PS/2 report rate, which is shocking. Can anyone say jerky? ;)

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

cant you just use ssh/vnc to control it over the network
    thats what i do with my server
    it only has power and ethernet plugged into it :D

8. Funkyideas

Don't really know how to use SSH or VNC yet, only really got into Linux last year and I'm kinda self educated. Not a dremel, but certainly not a Linux master. Just trying to make the most of it, as I am thinking of getting a G4 as well so would really need a KVM then.

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

ssh is easy, just type sshd from a console on the linux box
    then get putty and install it onyour windows machine (google for putty ssh)
    tell it the ip of your linux machine and click open, then put in your user/pass and you have basically have a terminal window :)

vnc just requires you to install the server app on the linux box and the viewer app on the windows machine and then connect to it like you would with ssh

10. Funkyideas

Thanks I think I might give that try at some point soon, as I also have to manage another server which most of the time is 150 miles away, will that work over the internet. :rock:

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

ssh will work great over the net, as long as you have the ports forwarded if neccesary
    vnc will work over the net but it might be a bit slow because it sends images

12. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Belkin do a kvm which as a ps/2 for the keyb and a usb for the mouse, a friend of mine had one.

13. Javen

Javen What's a Dremel?

I have been looking into this same thing with my system, adding a seperate server to run Web and development stuff.

Trouble is, I have M$oft Optical Desktop Pro, which goes into ONE USB port. Is there any way I can use this with a KVM?

Javen