1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P4 EE Overclock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeeTee, 24 Jul 2004.

1. DeeTee

DeeTee What's a Dremel?

Just bought a P4 3.2 EE off a friend who had to start school in Paris this fall. Got the whole system for about £1050 so I'm very pleased with it. It had loads of bits and bobs worth alot more than the price I payed tho. But I will stick to what I am working with for overclocking.

Intel P4 3.2 EE
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    Geil Golden Dragon PC4000

CPU ( and GPU ) is watercooled. I think the system is Innovacool, but Im not sure. Will try to grap a couple of pics of it tomorrow and link it up.

I have it running at 1.625v CPU @ 3.52 and 2.85v DDR at 220 ( CAS 2 )

I would rather have som OCZ ram, but the Geil will do for now. Is it as crucial for the Intel CPU to have good timings as it is for AMD setups, or can set the timing different to get more mhz out of the memory?

Anyone have any tips for OC'ing with the specs notet over?

At 3.52 it is 30 degrees idle and 34-38 full load, so im very pleased with the cooling. But give me tips, as I want this baby to go higher

The stepping on the EE is M0, so I believe I could do some higher clocks than this?

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Ram timings arent as crucial on Intel systems. :)

3. Austin

Austin Minimodder

;) Yep. It doesn't make a huge differnce even on AMD systems and it's even less on Intel systems. The most vital thing for P4 perf is to keep the RAM synced esp as you o/c. PC4000 is rated to 250mhz (DDR500) so you shouldn't get a problem until you hit 1000FSB (4x250). Just keep gradually increasing FSB until you get instability (ie it won't run Prime's Torture Test) then you either need to back off a little for the long term or add a little more voltage (+0.1v?) and see how much higher it gets you. Voltage adds a lot more heat and stress so benchmark and check it's really worth it.

4. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Timings are important, but can be offset/be used to offset other things like a ram divider or fsb speed.

Try to keep the ram in sync (1:1) and the timings as tight as possible, until it starts failing memtest, then back off on the timings a little.

5. DeeTee

DeeTee What's a Dremel?

Can't seem to get it past 220mhz x 16, nomatter what the timings are. Maybe its because of the 1017 beta bios installed on the P4C800 Deluxe. I will try grab some shots of the screens tomorrow and post it. So any of you can guide me a little better. New to this kind of bios and amount of things to fiddle with :)

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Youll probably need more voltage than a normal P4 cause of the extra cache - more transistors to fill.

7. DeeTee

DeeTee What's a Dremel?

I had it posting at 3.75ghz at 1.675v - but it wasnt enough since windows crashed after a while. I didnt dare upping the core any further becasue I get disturbed by the voltage.

When I have 1.625v it shows 1.760v in CPU-Z - Anyone know why it shows higher voltage there? http://www.dagthomasolsen.com/cpuz.jpg <- This is at 1.625v in bios.

8. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:) Discrepences are common from sw that isn't designed with your exact mobo, go by the BIOS first, mobo maker's sw second and 3rd party stuff third.

9. DeeTee

DeeTee What's a Dremel?

Damned Asusprobe won't even install! *grrr* Its weird tho. The VCore is all over the place. When I rund SuperPi for instance, or any other program that gives the CPU full load. It drops down to what it should in CPU-Z, but the second it goes idle again, its up to high voltage. I dont understand how this can be, and I just dont dare pushing it up to 1.7v in bios, cause then it would go over 1.879 in windows! And thats too risky for the CPU.

10. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

why is that too risky dude? I have my 2500-m @ 1.8v normally, if my AMD can handle that then you can be damn sure ANY P4 can.

C'mon, get into that bios and grow a pair!

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

P4's suffer from electron migration i think it is, they dont like ltos of voltage
    makes them die rather quickly.. :\

12. DeeTee

DeeTee What's a Dremel?

If I set bios voltage at 1.675 it shows as 1.879 in windows. Both CPU-Z and MBM. Therefore I am scared to test 1.7v in bios. I would surely get it over 3.75 then, but afraid to test. The EE cpus arent exactly cheap.

Damned P4C800-Deluxe mobo and its voldfluctuation

13. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

What does the bios show?