1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phase's Shuttle SN41G2: Update: Page3, 24thJuly. RGB LEDs

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phaSe, 11 Jul 2004.

1. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

i cant remember im afraid, ive had it for ages. it was from the US though so it should be possible.

this is what it looked like before being modded. I googled quickly and it seems tekgems do it, i use girder with it btw. :thumb: They are possible to make though, its an 'igor' style receiver (links somewhere on the girder site i believe.)

Hope thats useful! :thumb:

cool, im planning on about 6 leds throughout the case as lighting, with each colour hooked up to a low power PWM GPO on my Matrix orbital. Its had a firmware upgrade so the PWM frequency can be set, so no flickering lights. :thumb: I just need to find out the maximum current my LEDs will take with all 3 colours on (and looking a similar brightness) and get on with it!
    Then, using LCDC the voltages going to each colour can be changed, to either set values or on the fly, connected to temperatures etc.. :D and if i can get girder to speak to LCDC, im thinking remote controlled lighing.

Anyway.....ill keep you guys posted! :thumb:

RoB

2. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

only a little updat.... :)

Ive been fiddling with the RGB LEDs today, and they are cool. Heres a few pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those pics are both of 10mm diameter LEDs, but also have some 5mms to use. The trouble with these is that the housing is clear, so, although from afar the colours merge well, you can clearly see the seperation of the 3 die.

However, with a bit of sanding we get a nice diffuse glow:
    [​IMG]

Currently ive can jsut make 7 colours (RBG on/off), but the Matrix orbital has 256 pwm widths per channel, theoretically giving me 256*256*256 (16000ish) colours :jawdrop:

Tomorrow, ill be splitting the MO board (thanks chris :thumb: ) and hopefully start making the mounting for it, as i need some resistors from work to make the LEDs work in the case.

Cheers,

RoB

3. ChriX

ChriX ^

Sweet sweet shuttle mods, I want to see some nice colours !!

You have my permission to steal the LCD stealth cd-rom mod ;) :D

4. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

heres the basic 7: :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more pics tomorrow!

RoB

Last edited: 27 Jul 2004
  5. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

not been too busy today im afraid, i got somewhat sidetracked by a visit to the pub!

Anyways, ive made a start on the bay mounting for the Matrix Orbital. Its going to be stand-alone with a cable connecting it to the shuttle, but i think using the shuttle bay cover really ties it in with the theme.

so, here are the (few) pics:
    [​IMG]
    firstly, cutting through the plastic back part of the bay. Shuttle covers come in two parts, for the G2 style cases, a plastic rear bit and a solid (and thick!) aluminium front part.

[​IMG]
    heres the hole for the main part of the LCD. this is just for the immediate surround of the display.

The metal part, then has a smaller hole cut in it, which only the central bits shows through.
    [​IMG]

so far giving me this:
    [​IMG]
    it still needs a good bit of sanding/cleaning up, but you get the idea!

I also need to make some kind of cover for it, and to split the 2 circuit boards which make up the display, to leave the controller part inside the shuttle.

thats it for the weekend, the should be another update near the end of the week, but i wont have much time as im working.

Any thoughts on it guys? i thought you might like the pretty colours! :D

RoB

6. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Good luck on splitting the lcd I killed my mx2 doing that a few months back :( :D

Out of interest are you splitting it because it takes too much room or because of the extra weight?

I'm interested as I plan on mounting an mx2 on my shuttle face plate in a few days for my shuttle project : http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=686756

7. Mondak

Mondak What's a Dremel?

Great work on the IR reciever. That is totally hot. I can't wait to see what you do with the RGB.

8. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

looks cool and cool ides :thumb:

9. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

Thanks i think ill need some luck! :D i hadnt planned to split it originally but then saw chrisx's front mounted one and thought it would be easier to split it and have the display wires in a cable rather than the GPOs etc and be neater in a thinner stanad. Im not actually gonna mount it on the front of the shuttle, im just using the bay to make the stand match.

Im a bit worried now you say you killed one! can i ask how? im planning on cutting the 16pins holding the boards together with a dremel/hacksaw and then desoldering them individually, and reattaching the boards via a parallel cutout in the shuttle.

btw, im keeping up with your project(s) looking good! :thumb:

Thanks mondak and nicke :D

RoB

10. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I'm not sure what exactly failed on it , I think I damaged some tracks on the circuitboard :(

Got a couple of mx2's here so its not the end of the world :D , in fact I think there is about a dozen vfds/lcds in my storage box :D

11. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

lol, oh well i best be careful then!

cheers,
    RoB

12. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

awesome work -am about to buy a Shuttle for my gf, so I may have to steal a few ideas... :thumb:

Last edited: 26 Jul 2004
  13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

very nice work so far, and inspirational ideas dude. Just a side not though.... why are two of your seven different colours the same, and 256*256*256 = 16,777,216 - 16 bit colour IIRC.

14. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

I think he just forgot the orange.jpg.

ROYGBIV...

his goes RGYGBIV...

15. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

Thanks! Thatll teach me to pay attention while writing posts! Changed the second green one to the right picture! yep 256^3 is indeed 16millionish, not sure what happened with my zeros there! :lol: (im glad to see people are paying attention! :D )

Kind of, but this is light so its primary colours are red, green and blue, not red, blue and yellow like pigment.
    The seven colours are:

Red (primary)
    Green (primary)
    Blue (primary)
    Red + Green = Yellow
    Red + Blue = Purple
    Green + Blue = Aqua
    Red + Green + Blue = White

I presume orange would be Red + Green but with more red. :thumb:

RoB

16. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Actually yes it would. This brings me back to an old HP vectra i had. It had a wee lil sphere that glowed green for power, then orange when the HDD was a-spinnin (like we needed the light to tell us, we could hear it damned well). Keep up the good work on hte case dude! You have some really nice ideas, and really made me want to go shuttle (granted... they're $425 here :wallbash: )

and a little edit -> does that purple by any chance emit UV? I know blue does if it's the right shade.

17. Steamed Turtle

Steamed Turtle What's a Dremel?

Wonderful attention to detail; I love ti!

18. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

thanks all, and welcome to bit-tech steamed turtle! :D

Tulatin: lol, i guess think of tri-colour leds, green + red ones :thumb: ive not noticed any UV in the purple (or blue), but then i dont have anything uv to make it glow!

Been talking to Enak abut some CNC work...... :thumb:

RoB

19. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Update i say! this looks great, cant wait for more. Subscribed :thumb:

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Question: do you know whether the Matrix Orbital LED bus switches by active low (-) or active high (+)? This has implications for whether you can use an RGB LED with common cathode, or have to use one with common anode instead (which are way harder to get your hands on).

The reason I'm asking is because I intend to use the MO LED bus in a creative way as a power/status indicator with a difference...