1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project F40

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by lamcdonald, 14 Mar 2004.

1. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

Now those vents kick ass!

Props to lamcdonald! (And ocedamd@3000+ if it was your suggestion)

I was considering vents similar to those in my mod (not clear, was going to do it with fiberglass), but with scoops already planned, it would probably be entirely too much in my mod :-/

2. xtpwhitetrashx

xtpwhitetrashx What's a Dremel?

this case is badass, I wish I was all good at doing this stuff too

3. lamcdonald

lamcdonald What's a Dremel?

malcolm: Thanks, I think :worried: :p I know nothing about rugby :blush: Never been interested in any kind of sport...

ocedamd@3000+: Thanks :) I'll try to remember to add your name in the credits :D Thanks for the heads up about the [H] too, I had a look... he's doing a very simplified version :)

ErrOnReq: Thanks :)

xtpwhitetrashx: Thanks. I wish I was good at it too :blush: The pics don't show all the little faults and mistakes... :/

This update is for the 12th and 14th (partial update) and 17th (full update). More pics and full updates will be available on the site soon.

Haven't had a lot of time to type updates, while selling stuff and buying more stuff :blush: Getting a Zalman Reserator for my main system next week, had to sell some odds and ends to raise some extra cash.

July 12th

I installed the fans from the last update, in my Angel case, and took the old fans out to use in this case.
    I replaced the half-burned-out white LEDs in one fan, and converted the other two back to red LEDs.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is a cool pic IMO :eek:

[​IMG]

July 14th

I had to respray the whole top panel to get the colour to match after I attached the spoiler. Here it is after the undercoat:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And after one coat of red...

[​IMG]

Started working on the power supply

[​IMG]

July 17th

Bits sanded, waiting for more Cherry Red :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

OK, I need to rewire the power input of this thing, reconnect the fan, add a molex connector to the +5VSB (Standby) line, and fit it all back into the case... :worried:

[​IMG]

SB line added...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I split the wires into 3 bundles: one for the ATX connector, one for the wires I'll be needing at the front (HDD, fans and 5VSB for control/startup circuits), and one for the cables I won't need (P4 connector etc). I won't remove them, just in case I need them some time in the future :)

[​IMG]

Ahhh Too many pics per post error :(

4. lamcdonald

And it's in! Now for the tricky/dangerous bit: Reattaching the mains wires :worried:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

All done! Just waiting for the top panel to dry (had to respray it after I dropped it on the concrete :()

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ooo, stealthy! :p I used all the black bits I could find: Cable, connectors, screws etc so that only the fan should be visible once it's finished

[​IMG]

Ready for testing...

[​IMG]

It worked fine :) Now it will sit on the shelf until I'm ready to slot it in...

Top panel after 2nd coat

[​IMG]

Fans...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Obviously the IEC power connector had to be relocated due to the PSU grille. Here it is in its new home:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I decided to go ahead with the removal of the PCI rack thingy and fit the vented window there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still waiting for some bits to arrive in the post, but all I need apart from that is a few metres of spiral cable wrap, some more paint and a handful of electronic components (oh, and a few weeks of working time :p) and she'll be getting close to finished! :)

Project Stats

Date: Mon 19 July 2004
    Cost to date: $271.35
    Working Time: 131hrs
    Dremel disks used: 46
    Dremels killed: 0.999875
    Parts discarded: 3
    Parts destroyed: 0
    Next: Work on Interior
    Looking for: Nothing at the moment...
    Next update expected: Wed 21 July 2004

I hope the pics-per-post limit change is only a mistake... If I can only post a couple at a time I might not be updating any more :miffed:

5. drinn

drinn What's a Dremel?

Cool! :jawdrop: :rock:

6. Silverstrand

Silverstrand What's a Dremel?

7. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

Really good looking! :thumb:
    Do you really want 110 V(not 220 V ?) going around in your case ?
    thats pretty much if something goes wrong , STRIKE , bllzzzzbllzlzl...

8. lamcdonald

Yes, I'll be putting some mesh bits behind the ducts. Once I've finished painting the top panel I'll put them in :) Here's how it looked when I test-fitted them a few weeks ago: http://www.lamdesign.net/ProjectF40/100_6410s.jpg

Mains power here is actually 240V ;) It will be fully insulated, and no more dangerous than the original wiring :)

9. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

mmmmm looks very good dude, keep up your good work, and those vents looks great in the pics i think,any way MOD ON!!!!! :rock:

10. lamcdonald

Time for a little update!

The Luxeon LEDs for the interior arrived on Friday, and I spent a little while experimenting with them.

I've been working on a few other things as well, so I haven't achieved much lately on this project :( I bought a Zalman Reserator for my main system and I'm waiting on the GPU block for that so I can get it set up; also I've been working with some Luxeons for my car.

Our cat was put to sleep on Saturday. :waah: Had her for 14 years; she was about 16 years old :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.lamdesign.net/PJ/

She had skin cancer (on her nose), and had a stroke about Easter, but she was still happy and content right up to her last 3 or 4 days.

11. lamcdonald

21 July 2004

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Traced the F40 logo onto the RHS panel

[​IMG]

Side panel drying after 2nd coat

[​IMG]

I decided to paint the key silver to match the only pic of a Ferrari key I could find :blush:

22 July 2004

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cutting it out... This took around 30 mins and used 3 standard Dremel disks :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I have an idea... I might make something with these bits ;)

24 July 2004

[​IMG]

The Luxeons... Front ones are 3W white, (won't be used for this project) and the rears are 1W Red for this case :)

[​IMG]

My new favourite piece of hardware... :baby: Will be used in my main system to make it nice and quiet. :D Wish I had the $$ to watercool Project F40 :(

12. lamcdonald

27 July 2004

[​IMG]

Testing the Luxeons in another case...

[​IMG]

These are only 1W; I'd hate to see the 3W version!! :eeek: Coloured Luxeons are much brighter than the white ones of equivalent power; these 1W reds are brighter than my 3W whites!

[​IMG]

Even with my hand over it, it still overpowered the camera :lol:

[​IMG]

Burning horse! :D

28 July 2004

Painting time again!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Panels after sanding. Top and front waiting for clear coat, side waiting for final coat of Cherry Red

[​IMG]

Meanwhile I gave the key another sanding and coat of silver + clear gloss

[​IMG]

Front panel done! Just needs another light sanding to get rid of the debris :( and another coat of clear from a new can! (stupid old cans that drop stuff on the workpiece!! :miffed: )

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top panel suffered similarly, heaps of orange peel and contamination :( :waah:

I'll be working on my main system, getting the Reserator set up etc, so I won't be doing much with Project F40 for a couple of days.

Project Stats

Date: Thurs 29 July 2004
    Cost to date: $299.15
    Working Time: 144hrs
    Dremel disks used: 50
    Dremels killed: 0.99998765
    Next: Work on Interior
    Next update expected: Mon 2 Aug 2004

13. Death Reaper

Death Reaper What's a Dremel?

Wow, this is amazing...Great work. My moms fiance loves ferrari's. I am going to show him this here :D

Regards,

14. tumz

tumz What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry about your cat. Love cats. They rock :waah:

15. lamcdonald

Update #20

Thanks. She was a great cat, had a good long, happy life :)

I just realised I have over 350 pics in this thread. :blush: From now on I think I'll reduce the number of pics per update, try to keep it less than 15. :blush: I'll keep the worklogs going on the site, and post a "lite" version here. Hoping to get the site worklogs up to date tomorrow...

OK, so I started on the RHS panel today, got the edges cleaned up and primered it. I attached the centre bits with tape while painting, so the whole thing should be uniform colour :)

However I ran into a problem with the window for the RHS :( Check it out...

[​IMG]

No room in there for a piece of 3mm acrylic! :waah: (may be a bit hard to see, but the back of the panel is actually touching the internal frame :()

Also, I really really wanted to have the four vertical vents below the spoiler like on the car, but there wasn't room for those either... :( Too much reinforcing etc on the inside of the side panel corners :/

So, I tried to forget my troubles, and got stuck into the painting...

Top panel is finished :) (2 coats primer, 2x undercoat, 3x red, 2x clear gloss) Just needs a good polish to get rid of some surface inclusions (dust etc)

[​IMG]

Front panel is similarly complete...

[​IMG]

So then I took it outside for a few pics. Only 2 here, as the best ones were blurry or corrupted (stupid camera! :miffed: )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the painting...

[​IMG]

Undercoated side panel, showing the attachment of the loose bits

[​IMG]

...And after a coat of red!

[​IMG]

Comparison of completed panel and one with a single coat of red... Because it's clear-based, the colour deepens as more coats are added. Gives a bit of control over the final colour, but VERY difficult to work with and impossible to get the colour perfectly even :waah:

Now, back to the problem of the RHS window... I had to find something that was thin enough to fit between the panel and frame, but I'm out of PVC sheet and I don't have any other plastic thin enough :/

[​IMG]

But then I found... Another speaker grille!

[​IMG]

This grille is off my good (but cheap) pair of speakers, which I'm not using at the moment.

[​IMG]

Does this look good enough to use? :)

The only problem is, I don't really feel like chopping up my good speaker grilles because they look so nice on the speakers, but I'm not using them anyway so I guess they'll be more useful this way :lol:

Best part, there are two... enough to do the other side as well :)

[​IMG]

Should be much easier to attach than acrylic, lighter and more scratch resistant, paintable, and they'll help the airflow as well! :lol:

I'm still not 100% decided on this bit, so any comments will be a help :) Thanks

Project Stats

Date: Sat 31 July 2004
    Cost to date: $322.90
    Working Time: 149hrs
    Dremel disks used: 50
    Dremels killed: 0.99998765
    Next: Paint frame
    Next update expected: Mon 2 Aug 2004

16. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

Well , its always a problem when a family member signs out :(
    It looks good with the "mesh" :thumb:
    As for the number of pics : I have seen in some threads
    that people post the same thing on 2 pics , its only from
    different views , that should be something to consider
    when trying to reduce the mass of pics.

17. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Losing a cat sucks. Especially if the cat is two years older than you and dies on your birthday like mine did. She was a great cat.

18. lamcdonald

Since the last update I have been doing quite a bit of painting and gluing! :p Plus a small amount of drilling and dremeling. All the painting of the putside bits is done, and the interior painting should be finished tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll have all the structural parts finished by Wednesday! :D Then there will be the electronics (will probably take a few weeks) and finally, installing the system into it :)

I haven't had the time or motivation to update the site in ages :( But I'm hoping to get something done in the next few days.

Unfortunately I made a big mistake :blush:, I bought a new case :| I've been planning mods for that, and I've lost some interest in this case. I should have waited until it was done! :waah: I'll still be finishing this one of course, but the paint job quality on the interior is shocking, and I can't be bothered fixing it... At least it shouldn't be too visible...

A few pics... I have heaps of pics taken since the last update, but they'll only be posted on the site.

[​IMG]

I bought this stuff a couple of weeks ago. It's rather expensive :waah: but it works VERY well :) I'll be using it a lot on my next case ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Surprisingly, it only took 2 attempts to get the centres lined up OK :p The grille is straight, but the whole logo is slightly crooked at the top :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The horse had a different problem: The grille wasn't flat in the middle :( So the panel is kind of bowed outwards now :blush:

[​IMG]

The completed and polished red pieces :D

[​IMG]

Interior pieces drying...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried putting a grille piece behind the vents on the front panel, but it just didn't look right :( So I took it out again.

That's all for this update, hopefully by next update (probably Friday) the case will be back together :)

Project Stats

Date: Mon 9 Aug 2004
    Cost to date: $371.61
    Working Time: 166hrs
    Dremel disks used: 55
    Dremels killed: 0.9999998765
    Next: Finish painting
    Looking for: Nothing...
    Next update expected: Fri 13 :eeek: Aug 2004

19. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

Ahhh, A messy office to be proud of. A man after my own heart.

This is a great mod, keep up the awesome work, and don't let the 56k'ers slow you down.. post all the pics you want. The way you thumbnail things should more than keep them happy too.

-Ged

20. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?

Amazing job dude :thumb:
    Tip: try carbonfibre on those windows.. :dremel: