1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

At least I could help a little bit. Which makes me feel good. :rock: Rock on!

1) The screen should end up going right behind the face plate. There is a mod guide for this right here.

2) I actually didn't know this. If there is a cable already made for this, then I would research to find out where to buy it. I may think of doing that myself.

[​IMG]

3) Regarding the car adapters, I actually have one of the multi-plug power adapters myself. Mine has a 7.5V end for the PSOne, and a 3V end for a GBA. The difference between this one and the Sony one, is that the multi-plug one converts the power at the source, whereas the Sony one converts it a little way down the line. If you look at the diagram, then you can see that the first one, Sony, has the cut line in it, in a section that still has 12V of power running through it. In the second one, the power is converted right at the source, so that it makes it impossible to cut the cable at a 12V current. Understand what I'm saying? If you were to cut the third-party brand cable at the same spot (lengthwise) as the Sony one, you would already be at a 7.5V current, rendering a 12V switch useless, and probably making it more difficult to wire a molex connector onto the 12V source.

Hope this helps! :D

(P.S. - It's spelled solder)

Last edited: 4 Aug 2004
  2. BakedGoods

BakedGoods What's a Dremel?

Alright, so I'd need a Sony-brand car adapter for sure? Cool. About the S-Video. Here's a pic of a cable: http://edomekuvat.soneraplaza.fi/laiteuutinen_saitek_uutuudet_kevat2001/svideo.jpg

Is there no port on the lcd that the s-video cord will plug into? Ah, I guess there is: "All you need for S-Video is the right cable. There's a port on the back of the LCD that you plug it into, then plug the other end into the TV-out on your video card. No soldering, no messing around with Powerstrip or having to use a second video card. The picture's not too bad either." - MegaRouge found one! Maybe there is hope after all! Hopefully he can tell us which cable will work like this.

Thanks for the help adamjones! I appreciate it...!

3. adamjones01101

I think I'm still going to try the soldering to the VGA, because the video cards are really cheap. You can get a Matrox Mystique for like $10, and that way you can have the 640X480 resolution that will look better. By default, the PSOne is set to 320X240 for everything that's displayed. But thanks for the link anyway! If I find it too hard to do the soldering and PowerStrip, then I'll just go S-Video. Much thanks BakedGoods! :rock: Rock on!

4. BakedGoods

Okay, I'm kinda confused so I made a picture of what I think i'm doing.

I get a VGA cord, cut one end off leaving the VGA connecter. I take the wires and matching the colors, I solder them on the appropriate pins on the psone header. Besides the car adapter portion (i fully understand that) is that ALL you have to do basically? Here's a brutal picture I did in paint to illustrate my thinking:

[​IMG]

5. adamjones01101

Yep...in general. However, just as in the mod guide, if you travel the VGA route, you're going to have to use PowerStrip to mess with the frequency timings of the screen. This is mainly the reason that the other modder chose to use S-Video. When you use S-Video, you can force your computer to recognize the "monitor" without having to adjust any timings. They are already set with the cable, because you are not changing any of the inputs. The same exact signal is being sent through the cable. I went back and found Starfox's diagram on the solder points, and these are what you are going to need:
    [​IMG]

Also, check out this website, it may help you with the mod.

Again, check out the mod guide, because it will be invaluable to you should you decide to do this mod. :rock: Rock on!

6. adamjones01101

Also, another idea is to use Cat5 cable, seeing as it has 8 individual cables running through it. If you use an existing VGA cable, you may run into some trouble, if you can't figure out which wires go to which pins. However, this would be the ideal choice, because then you wouldn't have to worry about soldering anything onto your video card. If you decide to go Cat5, then the connectors and the boot can be found on All Electronics Corp.

One thing I thought everyone on this thread should know, is that all of the PSOne LCDs react BADLY to UV light. I know many people like to use UV CCFLs, and UV LED lights. If the screen side of the LCD is exposed to ultraviolet light, it will gradually degrade. This basically translates into the visual quality of the screen getting worse and worse. So just to let everyone know, keep your LCDs away from UV light!

And remember to always... :rock: Rock on!

Last edited: 30 Jul 2004
  7. BakedGoods

Solder onto my videocard!? You don't have to do that to this mod right?! Hey man, do you have MSN? Thanks for the tips! The Cat5 idea actually sounds pretty good...! And the UV's, I'm planning on having the LCD at the front of the case with lights inside, as long as their inside and the LCD isn't facing them it's all good, right?

8. adamjones01101

You're welcome. By the way, I don't have MSN, I use AIM. If you want to contact me using this, then my screen name is ScironTheBandit. You should be fine using the UVs behind the viewable section of the screen. Soldering onto the video card is one of the things meant to be done on this mod, though, obviously, there are ways to get around it. One of these ways is to make a VGA cable, and use the solder points to connect to your PSOne controller. Another is to solder it to the VGA port on your *expensive* video card. (ie: ATI Radeon 9800Pro, or nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra) The way I'm planning on doing it is to buy a cheapo video card, probably a Matrox Mystique 4MB video card. One thing you must remember is that the card has to have C-sync. If not, you're going to have to do the H-sync + V-sync mod to make your own adapter. You can pick up the Matrox Mystique on eBay for about $12.00 should you decide to do the same thing I am. Again, hope this helps! :rock: Rock on!

9. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

alright, well lets try this again. After looking at the provided doc for the specs (thanks for that btw) I see that the board the scree sits on dimensions still haven't been listed. so someone, please, tell me what they are! I can't find anyone here who still caries the screen, so I'd like to know if it'll fit before i order one from the net.

10. tawatt

tawatt What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if anyone has measured the current of the power supply. I've made my own using a LM317 to get the 7.5v and messured 800mA. Is this about right?

11. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

The Rating on the the power supply that came with the screen is 2a so is the car adapter. It does have extra power for powering both LCD and PSONE.

12. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

It just as wide as the 5 1/4 cd rom I will get all of the dimention tonight when i get home

13. MegaRouge

MegaRouge What's a Dremel?

Hi Baked,

The cable I used doesn't look a lot like yours. Mine has the yellow, red and white connectors on one end, and on the other end has a connector that looks like a headphone jack. It plugs into the jack on the back of the LCD (I can't remember the color, but if I remember right it's right beside the headphone jack). No soldering required, no messing around with Powerstrip and no need for a second video card (just use TV Out on your primary card).

I'd take pictures of my AC adapter mod and the AV cable, but I spent quite a while hiding the wiring and I don't want to undo that. Here's a pic I found on Amazon of the cable I have:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...7H4CWFAY84XB&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures

Hope that helps!

14. BakedGoods

I gotcha now, yeah that MAtrox Mystique is actually a good idea =D

Thanks Mega! That saved my from buying the wrong cords =S Is that the exact cord you're using (minux the s-video) ? I didn't a little bit more searching and I guess that cord is made for Sony VIAO computers, but it also works on the PSOne LCD? Oh and also, that doesn't have s-video on it right? So you need a card with AV jacks not just S-Video...!?

Last edited: 30 Jul 2004
  15. adamjones01101

The cable Rouge has pictured is a composite AV-IN cable, with the RCA connection on one end, and the composite video is the one that looks like the headphone plug on the other end.

Most newer video cards come with the S-Video connection, as well as an S-Video to Composite adapter. However, I found a video card that will let you have a VGA port, a DVI port, and a composite video TV-Out, for about $40. I'm not sure if the card has C-Sync, though. It should, because it's a Radeon 7000 Chipset, but don't quote me on that (no pun intended). This would be a great idea, though, considering it has 3 options for video output.
    [​IMG]
    Next is a ATI Radeon 9800Pro video card, and it comes with the stuff pictured with it.
    [​IMG]
    This will allow you to have the original composite video connection active on your LCD. That cable, though, the one that you posted before, is a good idea, considering you won't need an adapter sticking out the back of your case. Either way you look at it, you can go S-Video, or you can go VGA. However, I know I'm beating a dead horse, but the picture quality of the S-Video connection will be about half as good as the VGA option, simply because the default composite resolution is 320X240, whereas the VGA adjustable resolution is 640X480. The drawback to this is, it will take some serious messing around in PowerStrip to configure the screen correctly and make it display without scrolling the screen. If you think you're up to it, do yourself a favor and go with the better picture quality (because I don't think you're going to be using the LCD for any hardcore gaming). Peace out and :rock: Rock on!

One last thing...on the right in the picture is the DVI-VGA adapter. Most likely, your primary monitor is set up to run VGA anyway, so if you go VGA, you'll probably need to use the DVI-VGA adapter (unless your video card isn't brand new). I'm still working on a way to use the DVI connection to run the LCD screen, though I'm still not even close. Personally, I'm going to go the VGA route and buy the Matrox Mystique 220. Have an AWESOME day! ( :rock: )

~Adam

16. adamjones01101

Here are the dimensions, roughly measured with my ruler. But it's the best I could do, don't have my Vernier calipers here! It should just barely fit inside the drive bay the wide way. If for some reason you want your screen to sit the long way, then it'll fit quite nicely, being 5.25" tall. Have fun and Rock on! :rock:

[​IMG]

17. MegaRouge

MegaRouge What's a Dremel?

You're right, I forgot that I plug my A/V cable from the LCD into an adapter. That is the exact cable I am using but the adapter goes from the S-Video in the back of my video card and plugs into the yellow cable on the A/V cable.

I have a TI4200 on my main box that has S-Video out, so I need the converter, but my DIVX box has a Radeon 9200SE with a video out port that I could directly plug the yellow cable into, with no converter needed. It depends on what type of video card you have if you need an S-Video converter or not.

18. BakedGoods

Awesome, thanks guys. I have a 9800Pro and I did infact get one of those converters. Looks like I'll try that out first, and if I feel I need 640x480 res then I'll do the soldering =D I really appreciate the help! Rock on! :rock: ;)

19. buckitrade

buckitrade What's a Dremel?

No Red?

I did the mod and have a picture on the lcd. It is divided up into 4 pieces though and the color red shows up as black, and green shows as yellow. I have it hooked up to my iBook which has an ATI Radeon 7500 and no Powerstrip software. I really just need to know why would I not be able to see the color red and why is green showing up yellow? please help

20. karrektor

karrektor What's a Dremel?

psone graphic card probs

ok got my matrox mystique pci as recomended i also have a agp G4 ti4600

i cant install em together if both are plugged in the matrox overides the g4 and it all hangs up when starting windows.

i can run both cards separatly but not together can anyone help?

Tags: Add Tags