1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks static IPs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamesdta, 1 Aug 2004.

1. jamesdta

jamesdta What's a Dremel?

one question.. if you have your own static IP address do you need to pay for AOL or earthlink to get on the internet????

2. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

:|

mmm, if your ISP isn't either of them, I don't see a point in dealing with either.

3. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

If you have a static IP, then you must have an ISP, thus you don't need AOL or Earthlink or anyone else. I know of someone that uses their cable service to connect to AOL. He just likes the way AOL is setup. :wallbash:

4. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

You can also get a static-kindof ip using a router. Aslong as the router doesn't reboot, you'll have the same ip.

5. jamesdta

let me say this another way if i had my own ips addresses would i need to pay for an isp or thats not

6. Foster

Foster What's a Dremel?

Ok, I think your getting some lingo confused. Could you try and explain your idea / question again?

7. jamesdta

if i had my own static IP would i need an ISP to to get on the internet??

or is that what an ISP is for???

8. Foster

Foster What's a Dremel?

Well, you could theoretically (maybe even actually) get an IP address without having physical connection to the internet. This is typically supplied by your ISP.

An IP address is really nothing more than a set of numbers, currently in the format of ###.###.###.### . All it does is gives a 'location' on the internet so that data can be routed correctly. You'll often see people talk about static or dynamic IPs. Basically it's a distinction of how an ISP hands out the address to it's users. With a static one you'd get the same address every time you connected to the ISP. Dynamic addresses change every time you connect to the ISP.

*edit* I'm currently re-wording this to attempt to make it clearer.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2004
  9. jamesdta

yes i understand that but what i do not understand i.....
    if i have me own whould i need to pay an isp to get online? and if not how would you go about that????
    and thanks

10. Foster

Foster What's a Dremel?

You'd still have to have an ISP of some sort to be connected to the internet. The IP address is nothing more than a means of locating your computer on a network, in this case the network is the internet. The company that is supplying you a means of connecting, be it dial-up or some sort of dedicated connection, will also issue you at least one IP address.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you come by or intend to just an IP address with no physical connection?

11. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Whether you own an IP or not, you still need to have an actual conection to the internet. ie There needs to be another computer (of sorts) at the other end of the phone line. This is what you pay an ISP for.

12. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Internet Service Provider, says it all really.

13. Cerveza

Cerveza What's a Dremel?

I was messing around with a Teamspeakserver once, and I found it really annoying that the dynamic IP made it hard for my friends to locate the server everytime the IP changed.

After searching around I found something called dyndns. With dyndns you get a "name" instead of a "number"-IP, and the dyndns service always points that name to your computer, it doesn't matter if your IP changes.

14. jamesdta

its not for me. the woman i work for got 5 ips and i didnt think you needed an isp any more

thanks allot for all the h :D :clap: elp

15. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

You can always give an ip to your router or pc, that alone doesn't give you a connection to the internet. You need an ISP to give you that connection.

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

My mom does that.
    I agree: :wallbash:

Dyndns is a way to do it provided you have one of the programs to update your IP every so often. Although I swear it only works about half the time if that for me... I can use the dyndns address on the host computer and others in the house but it doesn't seem to want to show thru to the world a lot of the time. Anyone wanna tell me if they can get to firehed.dyndns.org/index.html or firehed.dyndns.org/phpBB2/index.php ?

17. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Firehed: nope, timed out

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah I think my ISP is screwing with me :( My friend couldn't get to it either... I posted about it in the web development forum or whatever its called, the one below this one

Tags: