1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling HELP NEEDED!: Crazy temps on WC - STILL PROBS!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by benje, 2 Aug 2004.

1. benje

benje Minimodder

A few months ago I decided to take the plunge and reap the benefits of watercooling, which in theory would allow me a better overclock, and less noise, etc. The parts I bought where:
    Black Ice Extreme
    Aquatube
    Hydor L30
    Swiftech MCW5000A CPu block
    Swiftech MCW50 GPU block
    Tygon 3/8" Tubing

Firstly after overcoming a few other problems, I managed to get these components setup in a rather inefficient arrangement, which never-the-less achieved me good temps ~35'c CPU.

[​IMG]

As you can see there is a lot fo wasted tubing there, taking up space, so I decided to re-arrange the components, at the same time replacing my old motherboard for an Abit NF7. So this occored, and everythign worked fine, then I checked the temps and realised that they were ~45'c CPU IDLE!!, which seemed pretty high.

[​IMG]

People suggested a number of things it could be, which I have tried a number of things to cure the problem.

Possible Causes
    Weak BIX configuration

Tried the Papst fan sucking air through the BIX, tried it pushing through the BIX, tried a much higher power fan (130cfm) which made no difference

CPU block not seated properly

Re-sat the CPU Block a number of times, each using AS3 thermal paste, block done up very tightly, as manual recomends, so that the springs are at max extension - no difference

Aquatube causing water temp to rise

Changed configuration YET again

[​IMG]

As you can see this time it is set up so that Res > Pump > Rad > GPU > CPU
    which would in theory mean cooler water gets to the gpu and cpu first. However this made no difference to the temps, and now I idle at 52'c roughly, and sometimes hit 55''c with a little load, which sets off my motherboard alarm.

So I ask you.. PLEAsE can you help me! this is really bugging me and I should be getting these temps with watercooling.
    Any suggestions or quesions welcomed!

Thanks

Last edited: 17 Aug 2004
  2. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Was the CPU first in the loop after the pump in the original setup? If so then that's the only thing that's changed....

What GFX have you got?

Last edited: 2 Aug 2004
  3. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

There was alot of complaints about the BIOS reading temps too high with certain BIOS revisions. (i dont remember which one they fixed it with but they lowered reported temps by ~10C iirc) Maybe a BIOS flash will help?

4. benje

benje Minimodder

Yep it was the first thing after the pump
    - in current setup it goes pump > rad > gpu > cpu
    Radeon 9800pro

5. benje

benje Minimodder

could try flashing the bios..

6. jetsetjimbo

I reckon it's gotta be a bios issue - what else can it be?

7. benje

benje Minimodder

actually it looks like i already have the latest bios version intalled
    and also dont forget my friend had this exactly the same when he used watercooling, and ihe got decent temps

8. jetsetjimbo

Could it be the order the blocks are in? Maybe the heat added by the GPU before the coolant gets to the CPU is responsible? It does seem like a bloody big increase in temp to put down to that though. It's also a lot of effort to change it all around especially if it has no effect.

9. benje

benje Minimodder

also jetsetjimbo - in v2 of the setup it was pump > rad > res
    so there would have been no heat added by the gpu, only possibly a little added by the res.

im stumped :(

btw thanks for ur contribution

10. jetsetjimbo

Not that it'll make any difference I'm sure but shouldn't the pump pull from the res if possible rather than pushin into the rad and res - in an ideal world?

11. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Hang on........i think i've spotted something

/.........give me a couple of minutes!

12. Risky

Risky Modder

It is in the third setup.

13. benje

benje Minimodder

Heh, no actually it is pushing :)

- Actually thats a damn good observation... the pump is pushing into the Rad in the last 2 configurations.. but not in the first, where the temps were good..

This might have some sort of grounds for the increase in temps.. what do you think coolmeister?

Also Lashout_Uk thinks that the increase in temps is because the GPU block is before the CPU

14. Risky

Risky Modder

3rd pic is "Res > Pump > Rad > GPU > CPU", which is pretty conventional or am I confused. the second went pump to res which shouldn't be so good.

EDIT yeah actually was the last pump>res>block>rad?

Anyway Coolermeister has pointed this out.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2004
  15. coolmiester

Well from what i can see from the 3 pictures you got there none of the set-ups seem to look optimal.

I would try running from...

>>>Radiator>>>CPU>>>GPU>>>Reservoir>>>Pump>>>

That way you will get coldest water straight out of the radiator hitting you CPU and with the reservoir directly in front of your pump it should never be starved!

I know its a pain having to re-route hose but its definitely worth a try though not sure if that is the whole reason for the high temps.

[edit] i wasn't sure if the pump was on end in the last pic but i gather it is [/edit]

16. benje

benje Minimodder

Yea it is on its end in v3.

Its kinda virtually impossible to do that optimal flow configuration, because of the CPU block im using, which has an angled entry and exit point, which makes things alot more difficult, as it would mean mounting the rad on the top of the case, which is now impossible for me.

I did ideally want that setup from the begining, but its kinda difficult.

Do you think that having the setups that I have honestly would add upto 15-20 'C onto the CPU temp? Because I am doubtfull, however i know you are more knowledgeable on this than me!

17. coolmiester

Well you say you changed the M/Board and that was when the temps went high so i would imagine that has a lot to do with it......

another thing is try changing the fan/rad the other way round so the fan is pulling air through the rad....looks like you have it pushing air through.

Also is there enough airflow to the rad through the front of your case??

All these smallish things can add up!

18. benje

benje Minimodder

already done both of those coolermeister, read first post :p
    Btw i bought this mobo from my friend, who also had Watercooling, and he reported good temps 35'ish for CPU, so its not the board

19. coolmiester

Well OK then................put the system back to how you had in your words "components set-up in a rather inefficient arrangement" so in theory you should be back to 35c

Obviously if your temps are still high then it would suggest that it must be the Motherboard

:thumb:

20. benje

benje Minimodder

alrighty i will do that, but to save hassle I will just leave out the GPU completely, and put the stock cooler on there for the time being.

Thus giving the optimal: Res > Pump > Rad > CPU

which should in theory give a good temp, right?

OMG LOOK - we both have the same postcount! - 523 :D

Tags: