1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Post Pics Of your Network! *56K Unfriendly*

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arju, 3 Mar 2002.

1. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

and the award for the most stupidly large photos goes to.......

2. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

i nuked my pics off my server, didnt think this thread was even still goin.. :)

speaking of the cisco, my buddy has a cisco 2500 (xl i think) atop his desk.. works too, dont know why he has it, but he does.. hehe

3. Iamgoodyy

Iamgoodyy What's a Dremel?

I like the webcam in the right corner of those rackmounts, guess thats some good security, looks like logitech ones.

Iamgoodyy

4. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

you can see clips from this camera at : http://www.spodcolo.com

5. Colin Morey

Colin Morey What's a Dremel?

well, I've just found it thread, i'll post some picture if anyone wants them, but briefly i have a 3 windows boxen, 1 sparc, 3 unix and 1 unix laptop all via a cisco 2900 series.

6. Daneo

Daneo What's a Dremel?

our network

our network consists of a cable modem>router>5 port lynxus switch>10 port rackmount>my puter>bros linix box>bros laptop>bros rackmount puter>folks puter upstairs not efficiant, organized, or "good" in any form, but it works. heh, im also still on a *cough*10mb card *cough*

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

It's not much, but it's mine.....

Ok here it is in all it's glory:

[​IMG]
    Belgarath is the main PC (see the specs in the sig) - Please note the inflatable Guinness Pint - No LAN should be without one!

[​IMG]
    Polgara is the laptop - usually used by the wife to play Dungon Keeper 2, MahJong and Solitare...:rolleyes:
    Beldin is a rescue PC. He was unloved at the wife's office, and misunderstood, all due to a misfortune of his birth.
    <whisper> He's a Gateway... </whisper>
    He was going to be put down, until I gave him a home. Now he's a happy, well adjusted SmoothWall box.

[​IMG]
    Isn't ADSL wonderful? Someones taken the handbrake off the web! :D

[​IMG]
    The latest toy - wirless access for Polgara. It's quite liberating, surfing the Web out in the garden, in bed, on the loo..... ;)

[​IMG]
    Finally, how it all hangs together. Amazingly - It all works.....

TTFN

GOO

8. Colin Morey

hmm, so you'll be an Eddings fan then :)
    RoA is much superior to the other imho :)

--
    yeah, so i've had a barrel or two to drink tonight :)

9. GreatOldOne

Que? Not understanding, Meester Fawlty.....

10. Colin Morey

Sorry,
    RoA= Redemption of Althalus (a book by David Edddings who also wrote the Belgariad and the mallorean, which is where the names for your machines appear to come from.)

11. GreatOldOne

We're going off topic here, but it suddenly becomes clear.

Didn't think much of RoA. Although I enjoy Eddings, I think he's only got one plot - band of heros, search for mystical item to kill rogue god.

Gone off the big multi book epics. Best book I've read in ages is 'The Years of Rice & Salt' By Kim Stanley Robinson. 700 yrs of alternative history begining with europe being wiped out by the black death.

Time to get back on topic, I think...;)

12. therider

therider What's a Dremel?

GreatOldOne, I see your using the Asus ADSL router. Its currently my top choice for router, which i'm about to buy. Could ya say if its any good? Was it an easy or a bitch to set-up?

Did ya get it from http://www.solwise.co.uk they seem like the only place doing it?

cheers mate,
    ride

13. GreatOldOne

Yep, got it from solwise.

It was pretty straightforward to setup - you just plug it in, pull up a browser and enter the IP of the router to bring up the config page.

The only problems I had was when I connected it to the smoothwall box, but that was a smoothwall issue, nothing to do with the router itself.

I'm happy with it - I'm with PIPEX xtreme solo service, which supposedly gives you 512k down, 256 up - but the router reports something like 576 / 288 :eyebrow:

But I'm not complaining....:D

14. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

how much is adsl btw?? is that 24 7 btw??

15. therider

16. felix the cat

cheers....might have a look at that, well i got cable at the mo....\

any advantages of adsl over cable...

hear that it was a bit ****e when it first came out...

17. therider

cant quote me one this coz i never used cable dsl. I thought ADSL was slightly faster and had less ppl sharing the same line.

BT was pi$$ poor in the first few months, but I havent had any system down time or problems at all in the last 6 months or more.

I have never been cut off mid session in the 2+ years. The modem BT supplied wasnt great but works. Go for 'wire only' packages and buy your own modem!

ride

18. Colin Morey

cable can be cheaper, but the upstream is half of what ADSL is, but you wouldn't really notice unless you access it it remotely.

Also, both are dynamic IP, ADSL changes more often, but Cable can take months and months to change. You can often buy a static, or a range of Static IP's on ADSL, but i've not heard of anything like that for cable modem users.

(as an ammendment, NTL have just launched 1meg down , 256k up, but it costs £50 per month on top of your phoneline/tv package.)

C

19. felix the cat

heard about 1mb cable....posted on here when it came out...upstream would only be necessary if i run a cs server or somethin like that...just wonderin wether adsl is much superior if at all to cable....

about the ips....after speaking to an ntl engineer (they do actually exist and he wasnt talkin crap) the ips are supposed to change every 48 hours max but have been known to take 7 days to change.....

20. therider

My ADSL package is BT Home 500 it doesnt allow you to host from your pc using it.

ADSL 576K download and 64K upload (or vise versa??)

The A (Asymetric) in ADSL is for the unsymetrical up/down streams.

I think my IP is assigned when I connect it is always changing.

ride

Tags: