1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :: Fusion3 :: Current Phase - Planning

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by blue_fusion, 4 Aug 2004.

1. blue_fusion

blue_fusion What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone and welcome to my newest projects worklog. As several of you know Ive been talking about building this cube for several weeks now and Ive finally finished my preliminary drawings of it.
    The overall purpose of this project is to create a custom built cube computer that is portable, but this will more than likely be my entry into PDX next summer. As of this moment, time is not on my side, with me going to school, homework and work Im pretty much strapped for time, so more than likely this project will take me quite some time. So please stick around and see what develops.

[​IMG]
    This here is a pretty rough sketch of the front panel (bezel) or whatever you want to call it. As you can see there are some triangular cuts made in the front which are going to be filled with "modders mesh". This will allow for better air intake. Since this is still the planning stage I might try to incorporate at least an 80mm fan into the front.

[​IMG]
    This is the current design for the side and top panels. Those grey areas around the center circle will be cut out and will act as the windows, more than likely I will be doing some custom etching in those windows as well. The center cirlce will be the place for the fans, as of right now I have the two side panels and the bottom panel housing 80mm intak fans, and the top housing a 120mm exhaust fan. But these are subject to change.

[​IMG]
    Finally this is the rear panel design. Starting from the top left hand corner and working right, there is the power supply, than a 80mm exhaust fan, then there will be a panel for the switches (there will not be that many switches, those are just there for representation) the purpose for the switches is still in development, I dont really want to say anything so that I dont disappoint anyone if it doesn't work out, than there are the opening for the AGP and PCI slots, and finally there is the I/O bracket at the bottom.

The cube will be build out of wood, yes I said wood, dont know what kind of wood yet currently still researching that. But what will be happening is first the cube will be build out of wood and everything will be cut out (meaning windows and designs) then I will take very thin plexi-glass and attach it to the outside (sort of like a clear coat) using rivets. Than all the edges will be re-inforced with aluminum L moldings which will also be attached with rivets.
    Ive been running different color schemes through my head a lot lately and for this project Ive come up with a flat black exterior, with white or silver edge moldings, then there will be a silver interior, and either blue or green CC lights inside.
    Feel free to give me any ideas or concerns that you can see with my current layout, I know Ive probably overlooked something and I would greatly appreciate your help.

Current Project Status :: PLANNING ::
    Construction Start Date :: September 1, 2004 ::
    Construction Completion :: TBD ::

2. blue_fusion

So is there anyone out there who can give me some suggestions?

3. fg0d

fg0d Banned

Good luck with the mod, and where in NJ do you live? Passaic county here :)

4. danmagicman7

danmagicman7 What's a Dremel?

Us bit tech people like to comment once we see some :dremel:ing done. :D

But yea...looks good if you can put it all together right! Looks like alot of wiring on the front. Should look good when its done. Why have controlls on the back of the computer?

5. meiv_4

meiv_4 What's a Dremel?

so that the front is very clean looking?

since i have nothing better to to i did stuff to your front, and there is no way that cd drive is that big

[​IMG]

it looks like a transformer! lol if you dont want the transformer look, get rid of the fans and make the top edge of the top window stright. i think the slop loading drive would be a must, keeps the simple clean look in the front. looks prety nice on the rest of it.

6. blue_fusion

Actually to tell you the truth that looks good. Since seeing what youve done Im going to re-design the entire front panel and get rid of the modders mesh, and am going to incorporate the fans into it as well.