1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics ATi vs Nvidia

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by diskreet, 4 Aug 2004.

1. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

definatley win-win for consumers, and win-lose for the companies. All this competition between the two makes excellent free advertising, but being so close has made hundreds of sales balance on 5 fps in one game.
    people just need to read between the lines. :rolleyes:

2. Sva4g3&*

Sva4g3&* What's a Dremel?

TBH I really don't give a **** because I'm probably going to buy a 6800GT OC from BFG for <$400 and it'll spank anything except for The 6800ultra and MAYBE the x800xt (but only barely and with aa and af turned high, since radeon has that category pwned by like 2 fps)

:thumb:

-Rob :p

3. Thomthus

Thomthus What's a Dremel?

In future games the nvidia is going to come out on top dues to its version 3.0 pixel shader (i think its this or sumthing else) in hl2 performance the nvidia cards win

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

ati outperform nvidia in hl2 and nvida outperform ati in doom3
    for the moment anyway

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

I personally think that it's going to be easier for NVIDIA to play catch up in Half-Life 2 than it is for ATI to catch up in Doom 3. ATI require a complete OpenGL re-write & then an optimisation process, whereas NVIDIA are only going to be required to optimise their drivers for Half-Life 2.

6. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Is it me or do nVIDIA seem to be the more backed/ trusted company? Eg. the starting of UT2004 and big parties for releasing a new card.

7. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

It will be easyer for Nvidia also becuase from what i heard, HL2 was getting changed so that it didnt run like total crap on nvidia cards.

The reason you see the nvidia logo at the start of many games these days is becuase of all the corporate crap with making deals to have the logo put in the game. They are trying to cause the game developers to become bias and make the games work better for Nvida. Also if im not mistaken they work along side with Nvida so that there drives are optomized for the games before they come out. Just look at Doom 3.

8. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

personally i prefer nvidia.

the reason is simply ATI cards are too bloody expensive in canada.

like 9600 pros almost cost 300 bucks. personally i dont have that kind of cash lying around for a video card.

so nvidia is a blessing with the midrange cards that are around and under 200 bucks.

now i know this sounds weird cause ATI is a canadian company. but the sad truth is ati cards are overpriced in canada.

dont believe me, go to

www.tigerdirect.ca
    www.ncix.com
    www.bytewizecomputers.com

and do searchs for the x800, x600, pro, or xt series of cards.

theyyl range from just under 300 to a whopping 800 bucks.

9. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

LOL I read the first 2 lines of your post and i was like "Wtf? Dude ATI is canadian. it should be cheaper".

10. diskreet

Right now im definatley a little more towards ATi. I have more respect for the underdog who sweeps the bigger company off of its feet for a few years than the company who tries to get its 'better' status back by cheating on a snythetic benchmark.

11. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

he h ehe even 9800pros direct from ati are at 350+tax+shipping

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

No, you've misunderstood... it ran like crap on the NV3x. The NV40 architecture is completely different to that. It has more architectural similarities to the R300 than it does to the NV3x.

13. diskreet

That's funny. Similiar to the R300. Suppose, if they ever got big enough, NVIDIA would buy ATi (remember them buying 3DFX); would they completly ignore all of the technology they bought that is far superior to their own (remember them buying 3DFX)?

14. Dan120288

Dan120288 What's a Dremel?

Theyre both good companies and i hate the people who flame (not saying you were diskreet) nvidia or ati just because they use a certain card, it pisses me off. But i prefer ati for an unknown reason but nvidia does make some good stuff that is respectable and reliable.

15. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

I wish everyone would just shut up. This **** is almost as tired as "omg look at my CCFL" posts.

Look, if you guys are going to whine about 5-10% differences per brand then you seriously need to look into getting a "life". You know, where things are just a tad more important then arguing about a minimal difference between two brands that you the HUMAN EYE CANNOT DISTINQUISH. EXCEPT and ONLY this exception, image quality.

Which I don't get too picky on either. I mean jesus christ I used a Geforce 3 Ti-200 when it first came out till now and have not complained majorly once. I had some problems playing farcry @ 1280x1024 but did I make a post about it? Nope, I just dropped it one notch to 1024x768 and played away. Thank you, I'll take my 10 FPS and not waste forum goer's time.

Am I fanboy? I'll stab you. I buy whatever works for the price. I WAS planning on buying a MSI 9800 Pro, BUT 6800 plain came out, kicked its ass, and has PS 3.0 support (included in farcry 1.2) which is the main title I am playing at the moment. So there you go, I bought that. It was nothing more then perfect timing.

6800 was much faster, has PS 3.0, free game, etc for a mere $80 more then the pro which did not come with a game. Jeeze, how could I NOT go with the 6800? Esp when I can sell the game for like $30-40 since I already own it. So in theory thats what? $40 more then the pro? Umm yea.

I plan on getting a 9600/9800 Pro for my lanbox as further proof I don't give a crap. Face it, ATI and Nvidia has their good products, and their Meh products like any other company on this planet.

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah that's the one thing I don't like about ATI... :hehe:

Problem is that a) you always get fanboys and b) people often only consider framerates.
    I think ATI's better especially with the new lineup of cards not only because of the stunning framerates (which nvidia gets as well), but they have MUCH lower power consumption, less heat output, lower noise levels, smaller cooling solutions (one slot vs two slots). Personally I could care less about framerates so long as they're playable with some amount of headroom for future games (I consider 25+ playable). I've gotta say, I just tried the temporal AA thing that ATI has and I like it. People criticise it because they call it "fake" AA but it keeps the eye candy on when you can afford it and turns it down a bit when the framerates get low (at which point you're most likely concentrating on your frag rather than how good it looks)

Don't get me wrong though, if I see a great deal on a nvidia card I'd take it but for the above reasons I don't really tend to look in that direction.

17. diskreet

Then stop whasting our time. we are having an intelligent conversation here about graphics cards, and I have gotten alot of good feedback here. If you don't like the thread ignore it. This is in the sub-forum for graphics cards; you do realize that?

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

I quite agree diskreet, we were having a discussion about ATI & NVIDIA graphics cards, and thus far it has not fallen to the fanboys.

Heavytank2, I don't know where the hell your post came from to be honest. :rolleyes:

19. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

20. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

here are my experiances with ATI and NVIDIA cards:

i have always been a ATI fan from the start because that was the first card that i could afford. when i started in computers i was of the age of 10 or 11 and quite poor myself. my parents are of the older variety and they didn't care for computers then so they saw no need to help me in my projects. :sigh: so i was on my own. i love playing games and i always have my only problem is that i have not had that much money lying around to go buy the best graphics card every two months. so by chance i looked in to ATI. after all their Expert99 was under 100USD and that was just my price.

man that card lasted me such a loooong time. i finally had to cut a trace on the card to kill it (trust me this was accidental). every time that ATI would release drivers for that card it would feel like i purchased a new card and installed it for free. I LOVE THAT!!

yes i have sinned and purchased a Nvidia card and i will never do that again. [OPINION]man that was a waste of money because the card would max out regardless or driver updates[/OPINION].

needless to say i am a ATI fan for life i love what those guys do over there and YES it is EXACTLY like the Intel/AMD battle.

Tags: