1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics someone please throw me a bone :(

Discussion in 'Modding' started by rewris, 6 Aug 2004.

1. rewris

rewris What's a Dremel?

I got a question guys. After searching online for info on how to read schematics I learned a couple things. I don’t understand a couple thins tho. I see a logic gate symbol. I realize that this is an ic, I looked at the ic at radioshack and I saw it had a lot of legs or pins on it, but in the diagram itself it appears as a kinda triangle but with three points of connection on it. How do I know which pins I use? Or do I use all the pins? I am lost. Any help

2. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

logic gates are a representation.

So you need to remeber each IC can have a differn't pin for a differn't part of the logic gate, so you need to look at the datasheet for your logic gate.

There are a lot of standard types of logic gates. A quick google for the number on the one you saw at radio shak should get you a datasheet which shows you which pin does what.

3. rewris

rewris What's a Dremel?

helped

yo thanks a lot mang, I found the data sheet, but it only brought me to the sad realization I may not be able to do this. Its like climbing up a hill with butter on my shoes, it gets more and more difficult. Argh! Someon help me :wallbash:

4. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

You should just have to connect the vcc and gnd pins on the chip to get it to work. You may have to set some options or whatever by connecting a few pins either high or low. The rest of the pins you should be able to leave hanging, and just use the three for the logic gate that you need.

5. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

" a triangle with 3 pins" sounds alot like an OP amp not a logic gate. A pic of the schematic would be good to make sure. Or a part number.

6. rewris

rewris What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Thanks. Ok, I can identify the VCC and a ground pin on the chip thanks to data sheet(I still need to know the third pin or combinations I may need to solder). Now, the dilemma is, I don’t know which pins I solder to what. I drew a logic gate symbol with mspaint, don’t laugh, can anyone explain what the parts of the sybol represent. Thanks (yeah guys you gonna have to spoon feed me on this one).

Component list
    C1 22 uF 10V electrolytic
    C2 22 uF 10V electrolytic
    R1 2.2 kohm
    R2 2.2 kohm
    R3 1.8 kohm
    R4 1.8 kohm
    R5 2.7 kohm
    R6..R8 47 ohm
    U1 74LS86 or 74HCT86
    T1 BC 547
    T2 BC 547

[​IMG]

i dont know if i put in the pics correctly hope it works *fingers crossed* ok i dont know how to post pics

if anyone wants to talk to me and share the wisdom directly i am drewsinbk on AIM

Last edited: 6 Aug 2004
  7. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

you need to upload your pics to a web server. There are a few free ones out there. use the search to find them.

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

9. rewris

rewris What's a Dremel?

i'll keep thanking everyone, cause so far you guys helped alot i am still lost tho. but that last data sheet sure helped me on the wiring of the ic. this is the schematic i have been talking about all the time
    [​IMG]

now i understand how to wire the ic im wondering if i should still use that one, i found another on starfoxs site and it seems to use alot less components perhaps just what i needed this is it

[​IMG]

anyone can suggest which one they think should use
    ?
    im leaning towards the simpler one, but i dont understand how to wire this ic or the capacitor. im lost. AS USUAL :wallbash: oh guys. one more thing. can i wire a resistor wrong? or could it go either way? Im new to this, can u tell

10. Zwox

Zwox What's a Dremel?

Quick answer about resistors

Just to answer your question about resistors, you can connect them either way, so don't worry.

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

And the 22uF capacitors will have a stripe down one side of the can next to the negative lead if they're aluminium electrolytic types.

Just to confuse people, tantalum capacitors usually mark the positive lead instead as here. :wallbash:

Last edited: 6 Aug 2004