1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: My Room and Everything in it [UPDATED: JAN 5]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by NzC, 6 Aug 2004.

1. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Pics fixed!!!!

Overview

I have been lurking on these forums and following many logs for a while now. I never posted too much, but every once-in-a-while I will. I am finally starting my own project log--in a way. It isn't going to be anything too fancy or fast. This is a long term project involving my whole room, but I will focus on the PCs. I have already started, but everything so far is pretty ghetto. This project should eventually get rid of all of my ghetto mods and i also plan to incorporate some electronic stuff as I learn.

Goal

My goal in the project is to have a nice, clean, well organized room that incorporates my PCs in a way that optimized functionality. I plan on having one work PC and one Media PC. The project should be low budget.

What I have

[​IMG]
    This is my room and me!

[​IMG]
    This is (was) my laptop. I plan to hid the guts and mount the screen somewhere cool. I will either make this my IM/internet browsing PC, or maybe a monitor for my other PC.

[​IMG]
    This is my main workstation rig. It is slightly ghetto...I plan on making this look nice (or hiding it) and then any connections will be built into the desk.

[​IMG]
    THis is my Audio corner/electrnic chargin station. I would like to mount all of the audio stuff together neatly with all connections in one location. I also want to build some sort of desk or cabinet that will house all of the charing stuff out of site.

[​IMG]
    This is the 2nd PC. It is very ghetto. It is my media PC. I would like to set this up so that it can be operated from my bed which will be moved across from the screens.

[​IMG]
    As you can see wiring is bad. I plan on fixing this.

I ordered some new stuff for the PCs mostly new electronic stuff. I have a new PSU for my 2nd rig cuz my 300W POS is struggling.

My parents are also getting my some Anthro furniture for my X-mas and B-day gifts (B-day is Jan 7) so that will be a major part of this project.

Sorry for some of the pics not being rotated...I will fix that in a minute or 2...
    EDIT-Pix fixed...and jeez it only took me a few minutes like i said...

Peace,
    Nick (NzC)

Last edited: 6 Jan 2006
  2. hmekk

hmekk What's a Dremel?

flip the pictures to right way ..... :eyebrow:

3. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

Dam you've got some nice hardware there :)

I'll be watching this. I would dealy love another PC near my bed for DVD's and stuff like that hehe.

4. fg0d

fg0d Banned

looks nice... theres just one problem, and i think i, a very POWERFUL :))) member can help you, that iPod seems damaged, how bout I fix it?? :p

nice hardware, im also looking into doing this with my room :)

5. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Actually the funny thing is that that iPod WAS damaged...and i DID fix it....http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=49882

6. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Well here I am again. I ran out to Radio Shack (yuk) this morn. I hate Radio Shack, but this is the only place I have seen what I needed:

[​IMG]
    It is a modular wall plate. I will buy another one later, but I plan to mount all of my jacks on here. All video, Audio, Ethernet and Phone jacks will be on here from my PCs, my router, and my wall. This and another wall plate like it will be mounted on some sort of central control board if you will. On this board I will have all of the switches for Power, Reset, Fan controls, and all of the LEDs, etc. This will be for both PCs. I then, hopefully, will be able to mount all of the computer hardware for both PCs in a central unit (probably from IKEA!) The only hardware not in the box will be A DVD drive from the media PC and the DVD-RW drive from my work PC. These will be mouned under the desk probably with eject buttons on the central panel.

[​IMG]
    Here is the wall plate together (somewhat).

[​IMG]
    Here is a possiblity for mounting the PC hardware in.

Peace,
    Nick (NzC)

Last edited: 31 Dec 2005
  7. ZeroX

ZeroX What's a Dremel?

nice work!!

I was planing on doing the same thing with my 2 servers, but since i plan on moving to the states in less then one year, what's the point..

I will follow this closely...

8. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Here is a drawing of my control center: SKETCH

Its really big so I didn't post it as an image.

Anything in RED is just a label.
    Anything in GREY is etched.
    Any SOLID BLACK line is a cut.
    Any DASHED BLACK line is where something will be.

I plan to get this lazer cut/etched out of Aluminum (if i can) other wise I will just make it (no etch). It should be 12" wide and 14" tall. It will clamp to the desk and have wood support around the top and sides. The wood will have felt on the back and will rest on the wall for extra support when pluging things in.

So suggestions, improvements??

Peace,
    Nick (NzC)

9. jamesdta

jamesdta What's a Dremel?

looks good keep the updates coming :rock: :thumb: :rock:

10. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

That's an impressive setup you got there! :rock:

Can't wait for an update...

<subscribed>

11. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Nice setup nice work so far, hope to see a tidy room at the end of it.
    When i first saw the pic of you i thought you were a friend of mine , you look so much alike and wear similar clothes ( you look like a UK student )

12. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

And I am back. Parents sent me on some errands this morning (thats what happens when you get a licence kids) so I stopped by Radio Shack :wallbash:.

[​IMG]
    I purchased the rest of the stuff that I will need for my control center (electronic wise) for the control console. (All the switches and stuff are on their way from Jameco.)

[​IMG]
    Here is the telephone cord I chopped off to attach to the RJ-11 jack that I bought.

[​IMG]
    And now attached.

[​IMG]
    I also soldered some RCA cables to the A/V jacks and put it all together. The 2 jacks on the left are the RJ-11 and RJ-45 jacks with some covers.

[​IMG]
    This is the F-type coax switch with 3 right angle pieces on it. You kinda can get the idea of what it will look like mounted on the panel. The long cable on the left will go to my roof antenna (the jack is on the other side of my room. The center cable goes to the PC and then the right cable will go to the panel of jacks.

[​IMG]
    Here is the other panel of jacks.....I have to make all of these....they will be headphone, mic, and stuff like that.

[​IMG]
    This was my enermax fan-bus with a LCD. I ripped it apart.

[​IMG]
    This is the back part of it. I will be using it to mount a HDD.

[​IMG]
    The guts. I took off all of the cables that powered fans. I just left on the 2 RPM monitors

[​IMG]
    The guts mounted. Yes its cardboard, but I am probably geting a cabinet with tinted glass so I am hoping you will only be able to see the LCD when lit...not everything else.

[​IMG]
    Lastly I have a quick sketch of how I am going to mount the control console.

Thats all for now. I probably wont update until monday cuz I can't do much until my parts come from jameco and newegg!!

Peace,
    Nick

EDIT:wow...IE crashed right when i hit the submit button...i thought i lost all of this..........

13. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

nice work so far. I bought some of those plates a while ago, and routed the cable tv and internet jacks all throughout my house. I was completely surprised that my parents let me drill through a wall in a house that cost 1 Million :blush:

14. saint

saint What's a Dremel?

This is reall interesting and different from just pc's, nice work so far :thumb:

15. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Heh heh. I hear you on that one.

P.S. stop using the british spelling of license. Show your american pride :hehe:

16. godspeed

godspeed Banned

i wanted to buy some plates like that but i fear whats in my atic so i just have wires every were

17. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

I've been thinking of doing something like this. I will be following this one very closely.

18. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Real quick. I have run by everything with my parents and they seem cool with it all. Tomorrow I will be heading to Home Depot to get the wood and spraypaint for the control console.

[​IMG]
    Here is the draft of my console and attachment.

[​IMG]
    Don't mind the burn marks, but I left the soldering iron on.....

See ya guys tomorrow with the pieces and as much built as possible.

Peace,
    Nick

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah.. I found that out too... it is fun isn't it? Although Radioshack is the only place for anything electronic near me :waah: so that's where I have to get those odds and ends. Reminds me, I need to stop there for some IR leds for a mouse mod :D

I'm jealous of those z680's. Which have to be at the bottom of my long list of wants :waah: :waah: :waah:

20. livelife46290

livelife46290 What's a Dremel?

i hear ya, rat shack sucks the big one, im happy i have other options for certain things, fistells!!! they are a dumpy two story store that has almost everything you may ever need in your life electronics wise, almost every ic i was ever looking for except one, dont remember which one....yeah gotta love downtown denver!!! Hey nice project, i did it to my computer but i tied in everything in my room, i rewired all of the switches and the lcd on my stereo and hid that. then mounted it all on a plexi board then it shattered when it was hit so its all laying duct taped so nothing short circuits.....damn....this is looking good keep up the good work and come one see if you cant use something other than those modular plates or, bondo em up so that they dont have cracks all over em and paint em up silver make up blend with the project, that would look sick!