1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :: Dragon ****UPDATE 8/11/04****

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dimazz, 9 Feb 2004.

1. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

CHECK FIRST POST, PIX CHANGED, and enjoy :]

Well i promised this worklog so here it is. This project is moving along slowly but surely. Lets see, ill start from the begining. This is the rig that is in my sig so there are the specs. This is what the case looked like before.

[​IMG]

Here is my case as it stands now

[​IMG]

I am going for a Green/Blue/Dragon theme. So here is the Window that i cut out with my dremel and elbow grease!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the top of the case

[​IMG]

Here is a grille i made out of the cut out on the top panel, its going in the top panel, its a 120mm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the Bezel, this is what i am working on today. MAde a lot of progress since here but ill go step by step also its dark here and my digicam dosent like the dark. This is all done with bondo body filler. Works like a charm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will post more pics tommorow

:dremel: :dremel: MOD ON :dremel: :dremel:

Watchyall think?

Last edited: 11 Aug 2004
  2. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

wow that is one of the best windows i have seen (and liked) some fine tuning is required :dremel: , it reminds me of that piccaso painting with the horse and the guy :thumb:

3. The Spyder

The Spyder What's a Dremel?

I think theres 2 things your should know....
    1. A angle grinder ($20 from harbor frieght tools) will save you LOADS of time finishing those edges. You can also get cut of disks for a $1 each which can be used to do nice cuts in about anything.

2. Is that front all bondo??? Just an FYI any bondo over 1/8th inch thick WILL crack/break away, especially if you just plastard it onto the plastic surface without preping it with 36grit sand paper. Been doing body work for a few years now......

4. FILTHY1337

me agrees dremal work is allright(great idea) but u should have left your puddy knife in the drawer it looks like its already beginging to chip please just take it all off and start over using as little as possible (u cant built with it only fix)

5. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

Nah it works fine. I actualy droped the whole piece onto cement in my basement and al that broke was the corner got a little gash and thats it. Its not coming off, i did sand it before bondo! A few people have said that, no effects yet.

ADD :: What do you reccomend i build it with if not bondo?

6. FILTHY1337

hmm i just realised i have that same case in my mod pial (the sorter one) is a very good case

FIX YOUR BONDO BOY :dremel:

7. The Spyder

The Spyder What's a Dremel?

If you like working with bondo, when doing anything more then 1/8inch in case modding, just use a netting or mesh half way through. You attach the mesh with jbweld on the sides and apply the bondo as thick as you want it.

Now the best thing I found was fiberglass using a gel resin from Napa. Works great, strong as anything!

If your current bondo gets any water on it, or you live in a humid enviroment, It will wick it in and gather between the plastic and bondo, causing it to crack and break away.

8. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

Post outdated....

Last edited: 8 Aug 2004
  9. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

Post Outdated, check the bottom for more!!!!

Last edited: 8 Aug 2004
  10. kestrel

kestrel What's a Dremel?

I like the design,

this is a sign of quality, most people leave unsleeved wires at that point.
    [​IMG]

Top work man, keep it up

11. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Well, I have positive comments for ya ;) Great job! Keep it up! And scew all mean critics :hehe: :worried: :D :hip:

Keep up the good modding! :dremel:

12. WNxPunk

WNxPunk What's a Dremel?

Looks good :thumb: Kept it up :D

13. Mondak

Mondak What's a Dremel?

I am still learning a lot about bondo use and so more exposure to how it is done, the better. I would imagine that after you get it all on there, you have to take a lot off. How do you get it nice and flat?

14. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

when i work w/ bondo to get it nice and flat, i just use a sanding block.... and real even strokes....

the project is looking great man, love the bondo work

15. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

Ya, i perfer hand sanding over anykind of power tools. Much more accurate. Takes a long time, its really annoying, your arm hurts, but it looks great. First i sand the rough bondo with my dremel to get it semi smooth, then reapply, then sand with 36 grit paper, then reapply, then sand with 150 and then reapply until very smooth. After its really smooth there will be small holes everywhere, use spot filler on those. THen finally sand with 400 grit with water.

For cheap paints (spraypaint) i would do up to 1000 grit cause the cheapo primer will not fill anything in (little tiny holes). I have acces to my dads autobody shops paint booth and all the free paint i want so i can use that. I am lucky!!!

Thanks for all the comments!!!!

16. _frank`

_frank` What's a Dremel?

hand-sanding rulez.
    much better than any tools. but a lot harder ;)

btw: excellent dremel works :thumb:

17. D1lazarus

D1lazarus What's a Dremel?

Hand sanding is great for final prep work and buffing, but I do prefer to use a Black&Decker Mouse sander for doing the initial prep work and sanding of messups back down to the primer or the metal. The Mouse gives a very nice flat surface and can get into tight spots pretty well with the little finger like attachment that it has.

18. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

How long did it take to work on the ATX connector (removing each pin and sleeving every wire)?

19. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

ABout 30-45 minuets.

20. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

Big post losa pix!!!! Im not going to write much as noone read that junk anyways :hip:

Any questions post........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bezel is almost complete.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]