1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Arctic Chameleon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TroubledMind, 9 Aug 2004.

1. TroubledMind

TroubledMind What's a Dremel?

Here is my Project Arctic Chameleon mod. Named by my friend because of it's ability to change the whole entire case color from blue to white even the LEDs in the fans. I hope you all enjoy and I would love some input from everyone. I am especially proud of my fans and thier ability to switch between two color schemes using the key switches in the front. While it isn't completely it is about 97% done except for a few LEDS and replacing the molex connectors. Also sorry but for some reason I can't put all the pictures in one post.

Okay I have decided that I am going to put up all the pictures of this mod because it is almost near completion. I just have to solder some more LEDs in the case and replace the molex connectors with UV reactive blue ones. Below are links to my Arctic Chameleon worklog on my site along with the the monitor mod I am doing in conjunction with it.

Project: Arctic Chameleon
    Arctic Chameleon's Spare monitor mod

This case has 5 fans that are blue UV reactive and each fan has 4 blue LEDs and 4 white LEDs. I have 4 UV cold cathodes, 3 blue cold cathodes and 2 white cold cathodes, along with nexus fan controller. I also switched the power LED and the hard drive LED.

Enjoy my mod!!!

I began by painting the inside of the case with a white epoxy paint. It turned out pretty good I think.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The case is a black and silver X-pider so I wanted the feet and drive bay covers to match the silver streak on the front door there. So I decided to paint them also.

2. TroubledMind

These following photos are the case back together after the case is done plus the fans used in this mod.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to do a simple lighting test to see how well the white epoxy I used on the inside of the case looked when lit up by cathodes.
    [​IMG]
    Blue cold cathodes on

[​IMG]
    Blue cathodes on but with side panel on now

[​IMG]
    UV cold cathodes with UV reactive paint bottles in the case

[​IMG]
    Same picture with Side Panel on

I decided that I would like the back of the case to be black like everything else instead of silver, so I painted it black and installed cathode rocker switches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Electronic components for this mod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    UV indicator LED on when cold cathode rocker is turned on

[​IMG]
    Blue and both UV cold cathodes on with thier indicator lights

[​IMG]
    Again but with flash

3. TroubledMind

The most important part of this mod were the fans. I got 5 Blue UV reactive fans that have 4 Blue LEDs in them. I took each fan and disconnected the LEDs from the fan and put them on thier own circuit. I then added 4 white LEDs to each fan and put them on a circuit. By connecting them to a hub I can turn all the fans in my case either blue or white or both by using two key switches in the front of my case.

[​IMG]
    working on the fan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just UV light on it

[​IMG]
    Just the Blue LEDs on

[​IMG]
    Just white LEDs on

Those last few are without the fan spinning these next few the fan will be spinning

[​IMG]
    No LEDs on while spinning

[​IMG]
    Blue LEDs while spinning

[​IMG]
    White LEDs on while spinning

[​IMG]
    Both Blue and White LEDs on

[​IMG]
    Key switches installed in the front to control fan LEDs with indicator LEDs above each key switch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All dark and niced and sleeved

[​IMG]
    UV cathodes on with no LEDs on

[​IMG]
    Blue cathodes on but flash drowns it out

[​IMG]
    Blue cathodes on

[​IMG]
    White cathodes on

[​IMG]
    Blue and white cathodes on

[​IMG]
    Blue LEDs on the fans

[​IMG]
    White LEDs on the fan

[​IMG]
    Blue and White LEDs on

[​IMG]
    Again

[​IMG]
    Fan in the 3.5 bay with blue LEDs on

[​IMG]
    Same thing but with the white LEDs

[​IMG]
    Same thing but both blue and white LEDs are on.

4. drinn

drinn What's a Dremel?

Original Window Mod :(

5. saint

saint What's a Dremel?

I love what you did with the fans, nice :thumb:

6. livelife46290

livelife46290 What's a Dremel?

I like it.....i do have one suggestion though, paint the inside of it black so it looks totally stealthed....dont forget the drives and the pci plates......