1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Idea: Dr Jeckle

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kickn, 11 Aug 2004.

1. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

I was just flipping through my updated science glassware catalogue and had an idea - has anyone ever seen a lot of glassware encompased into any sort of water cooled 'made scientist' project? I just thought it could be interesting to have 'whirl pools', settling tanks, resevoirs, etc.

What do you think? :idea:

2. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

That would be cool, like an old Frankenstein movie.... It's Alive.!!!!!

3. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

I'd be interested in seeing what it'd turn out like. Providing the water is bright green :D . Alternatively, two watercooling systems with different coloured water.

4. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

I was thinking you could use a reaction vessel type thing to get a neet swirling effect. You would then have to put a dissipation tube -type - thing to settle out any bubbles but it would look cool - you could even integrate a water cooler/heat exchanger into it :)

add some dry ice and bam!

5. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Very cool idea, it may have to be on a totaly purpose built loop though, as I think it may restrict waterflow too much for cooling purposes.

6. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

shouldn't too much if you had all the stuff before a res - then a pump then the rad and back out to the blocks.

7. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

Be careful you don't get any whirl pools going, cause it might start to put air into your tubes, meaning your watercooling system, meaning bad for your processors heat. But otherwhise good idea

8. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

Thats why I mentioned it would have to have a settling tube - create the whirlpool and then settle out the bubbles before using the fluid.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You have to have a pulsating brain in a jar though. It wouldn't look right without a pulsating brain in a jar.

10. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

awesome idea.....

im wondering, can you not use one of those 'agitators' i think they are called, to set up a whirlpool in a res? its like a flat base, and a little thing you drop into the res, and the base has a magnet that spins, dragging the thing in the res round, thus creating a whirlpool.

11. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

I don't think you would need an agitator. I think the fluid would form a whirlpool if you could find a container with a bottom outlet and a side inlet - that would be enough I think. You could mount it on a ring that had little UV led's in side of it and that would make it glow!

I know down south there are some used chemistry/glassware dealers that I'm sure you could pick up all you needed for penny's!

Unfortunately there isn't any up here in scotland that I've found or I would be doing this just to see what it looked like :hip:

12. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

This had been experimented around with before, mainly for the cooling benefits. If memory serves, something about a whirlpool naturally cools the water? There was a flurry of posts about this before, you should be able to find info in a search.

As to the bubbles, if the outlet was far enough below the pool you won't get the bubbles into the stream. This is the type of thing that you would want to setup seperate of a computer to experiment with until you find the right setup.

13. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

I think I might have spawned that previous thread which is why I remember it :D

The problem was doing it under pressure if I remember - i may be wrong on that one - but any time you force a liquid through a small apature it forces the heat out into the surrounding area. This would cool the water but you would need need to transfer the heat away.

I think something like this would be more for looks then performance.