1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Movie PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MRKIKKOMAN5645, 10 Aug 2004.

1. MRKIKKOMAN5645

MRKIKKOMAN5645 What's a Dremel?

hey
    alright i have been lookin for pc with moderate power but big ass hdd.. i also need a pretty big monitor so i can c detail from my bed(15-20ft) should i go with a monitor or a tv? ideas?

2. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

what are you trying to do?

Is it soley for movies. If so in what format.

I've got a PC hooked up to my TV and its perfect aside from the fact that i can't get the res above 800x600 and there is a blank border around the edge (bout 1/2 an inch wide)

I haven't seen the connection by composite but the S-VHS image is sharp enough to read from a distance.

3. Clarkey

Clarkey What's a Dremel?

depends how much you want to spend, whats the budget?

4. MRKIKKOMAN5645

well i got some spare parts around my room and i guess im gettin a new tv for christmas but prob under 800-900 dollars... basically only for movies

5. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

MY fx 5200 goes at 1024x768 and its perfect for movies on tv. I have a small 25inch tv. But when I pluged it into my 36inch tv in my basement it was beutifull. I gamed on the tv as well. Suprisingly games and movies look very nice but aplications such as webbrowsers and such u have to squint to see.

IF you want to view movies and maybe light game on the system then just build a small htpc and there you have it. You dont need that mutch power for a htpc. My next project will incorporate a p3 866 and 256mb of ram and a ati radeon 7200 as a video and mp3 server.

Hope this helps.

You can also get a remotecontrol for it so you just fire it up and when you need it you will have it.

6. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

i'm with jaguarking11 on this. My HTPC is a P3 933, 512Mb Ram and 1x200Gb Hdd 1x160Gb HDD witha 32Mb Geforce2. Works like a dream (though i only get 800x600 res)

the only thing that is worth spending extra on is your cooling. Its worth getting larger fans where possible and addinga fan controller. running 4-6 fans at half speed will give you near silence and ample cooling.

I got the shuttle remote too and thats pretty good value. Gives you loads of extra options and is excellent if you use MyHTPC (now meedio).

7. Perpetual Notion

Perpetual Notion What's a Dremel?

Might I suggest one of Antec's "lifestyle" cases? I've got the "Overture" and it's works very well for a media PC. Definitely go for the TV for movies (and games too). You'll get more screen for less money. You shouldn't need too much horsepower for just a movie PC. But a monsterous harddrive is definitely worth the money. It's nice to never have to get up to put in a DVD (or Divx Cd, if you're cheap like me).

Good luck, tell us how it turns out.
    Perp

8. MRKIKKOMAN5645

alright well with spare parts layin around my room i figured all i need is a CPU , a mobo , and some RAM . now the ram and cpu are more than enough power for the movie pc but i might as well upgrade my current computer at the same time right? :rock: so the ram and cpu will b swaped out for the ones i am using now and the movie pc will get 512mb of ram and a AMD athlon xp 2500 cpu. not sure about the mobo at this point tho can be changed

Last edited: 12 Aug 2004