1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics BF 6800 Ultra issue in Far Cry

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Syphon Filter, 9 Aug 2004.

1. Syphon Filter

Syphon Filter What's a Dremel?

I got my BFG 6800Ultra the other day and i have since done a format and reinstall of my system to give it the best possible foundation (I came over from a 9800XT so i didnt want any driver issues).

Everything seems to be running fine, Doom 3 runs like silk at 1600x1200 with 4x AA and High settings. The issues are as follows:

UT2k4:

Looks great runs fine except at 1600x1200. There is a weird bug that for some reason that at this res it somtimes (note the sometimes) freaks out and scrambles the screen a bit when set to 75Hz refresh or 70Hz. It runs at 60Hz just fine everytime. Everyother res works at every refresh. Other times its just fine and plays like silk at 1600x1200@75Hz. I dont have any screenshots of this.

Far Cry:

Again looks fine and runs like a treat. But there some weird texture issue that seems to become apparent when the "aura's" (most of you will know what that is but for those that dont: its the field of "presence" of objects that the game uses to keep check on what area of the map/game you are) of the player, also the helicopters i have noticed, move over mountains/cliffs/hill sides the textures go from being high detail and looking great to this. This is highly repeatable and happens EVERY time without fail:

http://www.pclincs.com/cpg1.2.1_standalone/albums/userpics/10016/FarCry0003.jpg

http://www.pclincs.com/cpg1.2.1_standalone/albums/userpics/10016/FarCry0004.jpg

Thats the best that I can describe my problems. My system is as follows:

p4 2.8 800FSB (running at stock at the moment)
    Abit IC7-Max3
    2x512MB PC4000 Corsair
    BFG 6800 Ultra
    550W Antec TruePower

I think thats all the hardware that is important. As for software that important i have:

Far Cry is patched to 1.2 (straight from a base install) I have also tried various combinations of install order like 1.1 only, 1.1 then 1.2 etc.

dx9.0c (using the web installer from MS)
    latest intel chipset drivers
    the nvidia drivers i am using are the 61.77 set from the Nvidia site.

I hope I have given as much information as you guys need to trace my problem..

TIA

Nitan :)

2. Syphon Filter

3. godspeed

godspeed Banned

your problem looks like its coming from direct x update it or something

4. Syphon Filter

I have directX9.0c installed. I have tried reinstalling that.

5. godspeed

godspeed Banned

try contacting the company and explaning the problem

i had a old video card that didn't work right turns out it was the drivers and the company sent me some netter drivers

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

does the issue come up with Far Cry v1.1 ?

7. Syphon Filter

Yes.

I have just fixed the far cry issue by using some old(?) drivers...the 61.72's

But the 1600x1200@75Hz thing in UT2k4 is still there.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Try 61.76, they're fully WHQL certified :)

Linky: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=824

edit: it doesn't say so on the download page, but I've used them and they were certified when I downloaded them from the NV driver download page ;)

9. Syphon Filter

are they not 64bit drivers for A64 systems only?

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

no, they shouldn't be... They're a different link :)

if they aren't the right ones, I have a copy of them here, which I can upload for you if required.

11. Syphon Filter

Well i tried the 61.76's and the problem came back...

I have reverted to the 61.72's and the problem seems to have returned under those too now!!!

I will do some more testing 2moro after work. Right now...i gotta get my sleep on.

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

download driver cleaner and completely remove the drivers, then install 61.76 (unless you ensured that you removed the drivers correctly the first time)

13. Syphon Filter

here's what i did:

1. Uninstall from Add/Remove Progs
    2. Reboot into safe mode
    3. Run Driver Cleaner
    4. Back back to normal windows
    5. Install new drivers
    6. Reboot
    7. Configure drivers and test far cry and UT.

14. Syphon Filter

any more ideas guys? This is really starting to get on my nerves now...

I am beginning to think that i imagined theissue had gone with the 61.72's

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

hmmm, this seems a strange issue, normally it's resolved by reinstalling the drivers.

I'm guessing that you installed DirectX 9.0c after you'd installed the two games?

Try reinstalling the games (in a different directory if need be), and applying the latest patches after installing DirectX 9.0c and the display drivers. Apart from this, all I can suggest is a fresh install... when I'm doing a fresh install, it's not quite so bad because I don't lose all of my personal data on the graphics bench rig... I will try and get hold of my contact at NVIDIA tomorrow and see if he can shed any light on the problem.

16. Syphon Filter

cheers mate i really appreciate all the help. I have tried installing and reinstalling the game several times. I have installed and reinstalled dx9.0c as well as done a format of my machine....its really weird...the UT issue is fixed with the new drivers i have installed. the 65.62's (they are beta but they work the best so far). If ur buddy at Nvidia can help I would so very grateful.

17. Syphon Filter

well i have "fixed" the issue...

Here's the story...i pondered whether it was actually the objext/entity Aura's that was causing the problem of their shadows. So i messed around with the shadow setting....low and behold that was the issue...

If the shadows are set to high or very high then the textures get screwed up by the glider or helo's....

if the shadows are set to low or medium...then they are just fine.

Thanks for all the help guys it was much appreciated....

by the way if anyone knows someone at either Nvidia or Crytek/ubi then pass this info onto them!! I am sure they would wanna hear (looking towards you bigz).

Cheers again guys.

PS: Its a still an issue...why can the 6800 not cope with High or Vry High shadows on my system?

Last edited: 11 Aug 2004
  18. Tim S

Tim S OG

thanks for providing us with an update mate :thumb:

I'll test this for myself when I get a 6800 (or two) in my hands over the next week or two, and also pass the details over to my contact at NV. :)

19. Syphon Filter

No probs...kinda takes the shine off a £400 gfx card u know...but i am glad its kinda fixed...i dont remember noticing how good the shadows were anyway so its not the end of the world.

Tags: