1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding stealthed audigy

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ToM, 27 Mar 2002.

1. therider

therider What's a Dremel?

flix-the-cat, why dont you stop asking and just try it!

ride

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

cause i get paranoid about these things, and as i am a poor student, about to quit my job these things need to be well thought off.......and i would have to open my pc up which i dont wannna do until i start doing my paintin which wont be until it gets a bit warmer......:eyebrow:

3. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

right - has anyone tried the hinged front plate then?
    are there any pics of it done?
    someone *needs* to make a black copy of the white front!!! that would sort out my problem!
    --= j =--

4. Pico

Pico What's a Dremel?

Just use vinyl dye, it is SO easy. 4 light coats, dries fast ( about 10minutes per coat is a good time ) and looks good. I just did this tonight because I got really bored.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Apr 2002
  5. Colin Morey

Colin Morey What's a Dremel?

Cool, where did you get the dye from?
    have you noticed any problems with it, (coming off onto your hands/fading etc.)

C

6. Pico

Pico What's a Dremel?

Pepboys, I did it lastnight no problems yet...

7. nbk13nw

nbk13nw What's a Dremel?

Dr_kazza...

Are those a pair of B&W series speakers?

8. therider

Last edited: 7 Apr 2002
  9. Ma Wiggler

Ma Wiggler What's a Dremel?

Just a thought since im a n00b to the modding scene. As far as getting the lettering back on the live drive after it is painted is to contact Creative Labs and see if they will resilk screen the lettering onto the drive for you. I used to be into custom car audio competitions and painting components to match your car and then having them sent back to the manufacturer to have all the lettering put back on them is common.:dude:

10. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

How about doing the stealth door this way?
    [​IMG]

You make a strip of metal (must be a perfect arc of a circle (1/4 circumference)) with a small channel (slot) cut into it.
    This is fixed to the door flap.
    You add a pin that will fit into the channel onto the audigy.
    The drive is attatched to the drivebay by a screw that is NOT screwed tightly (use loctite or superglue to prevent the screw loosening or tightening).

**You will need a bay that has a slot rather than single holes**

You may get better running if you file down the threads nearest the screw head to stop it catching on the bay. Also use some wet/dry paper to ensure a smooth finish on the drivebay slot.

Now, when the door is opened, the drive is pulled forwards , and when it is closed, the drive moves backwards.
    It is important to note that the channel in the arc of metal ends approx 1cm from the door flap - this is necessary to push the drive back far enough that the knobs on the drive do not hit the door flap.
    This arrangement would be needed on both sides of the drive (left and right: not front and back)

HTH

Flymo

BTW, excuse my poor PaintShop Pro skills.

Also, why do more people not use the *.png format for graphics?
    This image is about 1/2 the size of the equivalent JPEG and has no artifacts (it is indistinguishable from the original bmp file). It works even better for photos.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2002
  11. therider

I like the design. Would take the engineering process to the next level! It would work you would need to pull it down although if the door was sprung and push catched it would be very nice.

Simplify the bay fixing just let it slide loose in the cradle, no srews.

ride

is png supported by all browsers?

12. Dr_kazza

Dr_kazza What's a Dremel?

Yep minipods... they were designed by a couple of guys who worked on the B&W Nautilus then went and did their own company.

Great sound and it works out about 250-300 quid a pair... You used to be able to get them from http://www.minipod.com but now you have to go to a retailer.

Kaz

13. Colin Morey

Colin Morey What's a Dremel?

theridier: most new browsers, but not all, (as far as i know all of the opensource browsers can show it, (bar lynx), but early versions of IE can't). for a full list see :
    http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngapbr.html

The reason it looks better and has no artifacts, its _lossless_ compression, (like .GIF if i remember correctly), so its great for diagrams and other pictures with large areas of the same colour, but JPEG compression will give you a far smaller image for a lot less space.

For more information on PNG, visit:- http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/

14. crazylord

crazylord What's a Dremel?

Flymo, did you try this design?

i thought about it, and i figured when you have all possible cables pluged in, they gonna lie on the faceplate...
    i dunno how long this is gonna work w/out any deformations?!?!

just a thought...

15. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I did do this on a case about a year ago.
    I only used it for a cd-rw, so I didnt have any cables on the front of the drive. Dunno how it would hold up with all the cables lying on it, but with a bracket on each side it was pretty strong.
    Possibly going to redo this on my present case and possibly have a sprung door (ta for that one)

Flymo

16. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?