1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding dual monitors are fun

Discussion in 'Modding' started by invader crack, 28 Jul 2004.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

matrox make some quad cards... and you could use a bunch of PCI cards...

I wonder why XP supports 9 monitors... why not 10? :confused:

2. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

Thats an intersting point really. . . now im curious.

3. YingKo

YingKo What's a Dremel?

Your best bet would be one of these . Hey if you are going to drop $30000 on monitors, what is $800 for a video card.

Yingko

4. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

hehe, I was gonna mention one of those, except I think it was a matrox. It supported 16, thats right, 16 displays, on one pci card.

5. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

3x3 monitors...makes most sense....as 5x2 or 2x5 would just look way to tall or long....and if you had a 3x3 and a spare one....
    :duh:

6. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

what about dvd movies were the aspect ratio is like 16:9... so you have 16 monitors accross, and 9 monitors high. :rock:

7. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Sorry to hijack, but what is a good PCI vid card to work with an ATI All IN wonder 8500 DV?

8. YingKo

YingKo What's a Dremel?

THe pci version of the 9200 has dual monitor support and will give you equal graphics to your 8500.

9. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

I don't need two monitors on the PCI, just one so I can set up dual monitors that way. I would get an AGP card, but I love my All In Wonder, for video capture and such.

10. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

That would look strange because monitors are 4:3, not 1:1 :)

You would end up with something like a 64:27 setup :eyebrow: *reaches for calculator* Thats 1:2.3 where a dvd is 1:1.85

ch424

11. fishthecat

fishthecat What's a Dremel?

I've got the same Desk! yey

12. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

i really don't see the need for more than 1, MAYBE 2, monitors. If it isnt enough get a bigger monitor. I can have my tv next to my pc set up as a 2nd monitor but i don't care. its useless to me.
    I don't get dual monitors. :confused:

13. YingKo

YingKo What's a Dremel?

Well think of it this way. If you have one 19" flat panel with a resolution of 1280x1024 for around $600 with about 1310720 pixels total work space. Now if you take two 15"flat panels for $500 at 1024x768 with work space of 1572864 pixels of workspace. (Both of these are native resolution by the way.) Then you take into account that when you are playing a game or something else at full screen, if you have one monitor you can only play that game. If you have two you can have your applications running on one monitor while you game, watch tv , or use any other application that takes the whole screen on the main monitor. At least those are the reasons I use multiple monitors.

14. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Part of it is that it looks cool. Another part is that you can do much more with it. Furthermore, I have a couble 15 inch monitors sitting around doing nothing and this is one way to use them.

15. fishthecat

fishthecat What's a Dremel?

I use two 17" CRTs. It's most useful when I'm doing work. I can ne typing code on one screen and have the preview on teh other, or a referance page or documentation on the other. It cuts down on a lot of 'alt+tab' ing.
    I do turn of the secondary on when gaming or just surfing though.

16. YingKo

YingKo What's a Dremel?

Yeah good point, when I edit Unreal Tournament it is nice to have the toolbars on one monitor and the preview windows on another. Same with photoshop.

Yingko

17. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

i just realized why i don't like dual monitors alot: im lazy!!! VERY LAZy!
    so im too lazy to do more than one thing at once, and lately my pc is a doom 3/gmail box only; thats about it.

18. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and hah! mine match. My computer is under the desk, dual p3 1ghz, almost 750GB total hd space 1gb ram, and random other fine points.

thats my webserver on the floor, soon to be getting the Lian-Li PC-76 aluminum full server tower. total 1TB hard drive space on 13 different drives, 5 of which are 10k RPM scsi drives.

I use the dual displays for multitasking, just to spread everything out. I tend to have at least 40 windows open all the time, and it the pile on a single monitor tends to get deep. If i'm bored and i want to work on a site at the same time, I'll put a movie, recorded TV show, TV (via tuner card) or just my wmp w/music on one of the displays and work on the other. I also work on a lot of websites, so I put the source window on one and a browser on the other, then just alt+tab and refresh every time i change/save something on a page. Dual flatscreens is awesome for watching widescreen movies :-D and it doesn't take long to ignore the rift in the middle.
    -Brick

Last edited: 24 Aug 2004
  19. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

20. Xgamer

Xgamer What's a Dremel?

That would be a tad expensive.